Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Newcastle Athletics Club - Hill and Dale Series 2013  (Read 25550 times)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

So that's how I got my hands on a bucket of motivation and I'm determined not to give up until I'm running up mountains like Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris doesn't run up mountains, he just kicks them out of the way. :)

:D Rofl :D
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

Here's a few pics from the Tollymore run

236 entrants

and they're off

Andy & Barry catch me at the top of The Drinns

Me, Andy & Matthew relaxing at the finish

think outside, no box required

GMB

• Jr. Poster

Well done mate!

Looks like a great turn out too. Game as Badgers.

On a similar note, approx 2000 people ran the Titanic Quarter 10K today!!!
Times must be changing. More and more people seem to be stepping up to a challenge these days.
Great to see  :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013 by GMB »

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

Woohoo, we both completed our 3rd race tonight. After a prerace call to Andy today to discuss food recommendations for the day, I had decided on having porridge, bananas, nuts, raisins and lots of water for lunch. However I ended up going to the chippy for a chicken burger with cheeses and mayo, washed down with a tin of coke  ::)

It was another tough one, straight into the first hill after a few meters, that was a shock to the system, then it just got steeper and steeper, which suited me well as I like the walking  :) 

We summited Slievemeen then a wee jog over to Slievemartin, there was a little stream we had to jump over, unforutnately it was very boggy on the other side and one foot went down to the knee and I was stuck fast :o  didn't want to lose the shoe so i managed to get a hand below it and pry it out, Andy fared a bit worse and his shoe did come off  ;D .

The views where amazing up here, wish i'd brough my camera but i sacrificed it to bring the gps instead (in case i got lost!) anyhow I was doing well and didn't want to stop for pics anyway as I was actually starting to pass people.

After Slievemartin it was all downhill on some challenging terrain of varying steepness (very steep to extremely steep!), watched quite a few people stumble and roll, however i managed to keep my feet and make it down safely while still passing the odd person in much grippier shoes than my adidas kanadia (I can highly recommend these for grip but they do seem to wear quickly so race use only now). I had just enough left in me for a sprint to the line to take another place, results patiently awaited , certainley expecting a big improvement on last weeks time.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013 by LandyLiam »

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Newcastle Athletics Club - Hill and Dale Series 2013
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2013 »

Well done again guys keep at it. The running I mean not the chicken burgers. Lol.
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

That's a great write-up of our third race Liam.  I only have a few things to add:

1. It's official, I am really unfit.
2. Yeap, I'm seriously unfit.
3. Man, Am I out of shape or what???

I found that the toughest so far... It usually takes me a mile or so to get my legs warmed up and my breathing under control but this was just straight into full on ascent. My legs felt like they were going to burst into flames and my brain kept telling me to turn back, you've bitten off more than you can chew, but the shame of recording a "Did Not Finish" drove me on.

After less than twenty minutes of jogging up the mountain I could jog no more and had to crank it down to a brisk walk. 10 more minutes my pace got slower and 5 minutes after that I was nearly on my hands and knees  :'(

I have never been so pleased to see a summit cairn in all my life as it meant the worst was over.  There was another small ascent to get over to Slieve Martin summit and then it was all down hill from there, as they say.

Full credit to Liam tonight... He was able to keep up with the crowd and I think he is going to have recorded an excellent result.  Me, on the other hand, recorded an awful result but at least I made it round alive!

Must try harder  :-[
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013 by Dowser »
See the View

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

round is a shape  ;D

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

round is a shape  ;D

Cheeky lol.  Keep eating those Cheesy Chicken Burgers and you'll soon know all about round too ;)
See the View

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Well done guys, every time you complete one of these races you make me feel a bit worse ;)

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks

Well done lads!
Andy, you're doing great - these aren't easy races to jump into.

You're going to think I'm crackers, but I can advise doing a gently 10-15min warm up, building in the odd acceleration (athletes call these 'strides'...you go fast for 50m or so... it's like a sprint, but it's not a sprint...smoother acceleration, kind of 'opening up': if you can get the idea?!?!). You want to get your body into the cardio zone, with the heart rate up and all the systems switched to run mode. A little out of breath is good. As you've said, it takes you 10mins or so to get going, so you want to be ready to go at the start of the race, especially if there is a hill immediately (most of the H&D races I imagine). The shorter the race, the longer the warm up.

All the best for the next one!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

You're going to think I'm crackers, but I can advise doing a gently 10-15min warm up, building in the odd acceleration (athletes call these 'strides'...you go fast for 50m or so... it's like a sprint, but it's not a sprint...smoother acceleration, kind of 'opening up': if you can get the idea?!?!).

I don't think your crackers at all.  I know you are totally right, but up to now I've been foolishly holding on to the theory that I am "Conserving my Energy".

I had fully intended to do a wee warm-up run last night but I just wasn't in the right frame of mind for it.  I had a very busy week at work and there was lots on my mind and I just couldn't focus on the run.  I had also planned to do a bit of cycling and jogging through the week to try and improve stamina, but never got round to it, which put me in a bad place too  :(

This week coming is going to be different.  Those pesky organisers are going to make me run up to the top of Binnian so, in preperation, I've dug out my mountain bike, brushed the dust off it and blew up the tyres.  I work 6.2 miles away from my house and I plan to cycle to work every day except Thursday (Race Day).  Surely 12.4 miles a day, on quite an undulating road, will help build up the stamina I'm going to need for this next race.

Your advice Twenty is greatly appreciated and has given me the kick up the backside that I need to start doing proper race warm-ups.

Maybe next weeks result will not leave me as ashamed as last nights if I put in a bit of hard work beforehand   :)
See the View

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

OUCH  >:(

After missing the last two races due to a cracked rib (much better than any of Dowsers excuses  ;D ) and getting a grand total of 2 miles training done, I decided to have another go at this series. The plan was to take it easy and use it as a training run, but my pacemaker couldn't make it so I went with my son and of course I couldn't let him beat me, or so I hoped.

Tonight's race was on Millstone Mountain, mostly on forest track, and just one big hill to do, wee buns  ::) I was going well for the first half, overtook a few on the really steep bits again and managed to keep up with the young lad until the summit, blowing a hooly at the top but I was so warm I resisted the urge to throw a top on over my wee skimpy running vest (most of the other had at least two tops on) sure I'll be down in 5 mins and back into the shelter of the trees, or so I thought. But then my ankle started giving me gip, then my legs started cramping in unusual places (possibly because I was shifting my weight off the sore ankle) so I had to walk off the summit and watch just about everyone pass me by   :( , it wasn't so bad when I got back onto the gravel forest tracks so managed get a wee jog going again but I didn't think it was enough to avoid last place, but at the end a group of runners had stopped for a group picture near the finished line so at least the official results will show a different story  :)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

results are in and i came 2nd last, phew, and this time i even made it down before the cameraman gave up went home   :)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

The series finished tonight and I managed to complete the last 3 races bringing my total to 7 out of 11 so I was well chuffed to get my free hill and dale jacket tonight  :)

Here's some pics from the last few races, weather was excellent, views were stunning, not that i had much time to look up though!

Hen Mountain

Cock Mountain

Leitrim Lodge

Pierces castle

already looking forward to next year

p.s. thanks Andy for getting me into this  :)

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks

Well done Liam! Good going.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4