Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• NOT the MMM: September 18, 2010
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: NOT the MMM  (Read 16297 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: NOT the MMM
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010 »

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010 »

wow, you did it all in that weather, fair play to you

its probably been explained before but what do i need (hardware & software) to get maps like that?

think outside, no box required

ChuckMcB

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010 »

Yup, that was well done guys for sticking with it...and even doing Donard....did it clear up any or did no-one want to let the side down by balling out early (like me ::))

@liam:
Software: Mapyx Maps of the Mournes £15
Hardware: Almost any GPS unit (or even your BB). I think J uses a Garmin GPS, one of the eTrex range), I use a simple GPS logger (no screen but lasts longer between charges and is a bit cheaper)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010 by Chuck »

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010 »

That was quite a jaunt yesterday!  13 miles, 1700m of ascent, 8 mountains, 4 of which are over 700m and 3 of which were new to me.  Think it definitely achieved the goal of getting "a good day out in the hills" :)

Unfortunately the weather never relented at any stage of the day, so it was full waterproofs from Carrick Little to Meelmore Lodge.  That said, its nearly better that way as you just get on with it and stay optimistic that the cloud might break!  Great day out any way, and I finally got my appetite whetted for giving the Devil's Coachroad a blast having seen it up close :)

Liam, I use an iPhone app called MotionX GPS to log my routes, and then import the route into Mapyx like the other fellas.  The downside is that with the GPS app running you only get around 4 hours of battery life in the phone.  I bought a FreeLoader Pico solar charger to try and bump up the battery life, but it can only charge an iPhone to 50% from its internal battery.  So you are talking a maximum run time of 6 hours using an iPhone app and solar charger.  As it happens I was talking about this to J yesterday, as I dont really want/need a full Garmin GPS unit as I just want to log my routes.  He was telling me about the "black box" that Chuck has linked to, so I'm going to look into that.  Thanks for posting the link Chuck, complete coincidence as I was going to PM you about it :)

Kat

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2010 »

Yes...good day out guys!  Awesome feeling of satisfaction today!  :)  All the bumps and knocks were worth it!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010 »

well done guys any pics?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010 »

well done guys any pics?

J took some photos, so I reckon they will be up soon :)  Our camera didn't make it out all day though, opps!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010 »

We did the planned route on Saturday regardless of the foul weather - Binnian, Lamagan, Cove, Beg, Donard, Commedagh, Slievenaglogh, Corragh. 13 miles with 1766m ascent, for reference that's more than Ben Nevis with Cave Hill on top which was pretty good going.

It started raining in Carrick Little and pretty much stayed on all day and was mostly windy too. Saw the mountain marathon chaps crossing the wall on our way up Binnian but never saw them again for the rest of the day. The terrible weather must have kept people out of the hills as after that we only saw about 5 people the whole time (though we did see a guy on Donard summit wearing jeans).

All things considered it wasn't as bad as expected, once you get wet through after an hour or two you reach a sort of equlibrium where it doesn't really bother you any more. We didn't race it, just kept plodding on and it was suprisingly comfortable, the push up Donard was actually one of the easier ones I've done purely because we just trundled on and chatting and resting whenever seemed comfortable (every 10 paces on the steeper ascents  ;D)

Just a shame that after Binnian we never saw anything further in the distance than about 25m away so the splendid views were wasted on us.

Still feel like I need a knee and spine transplant and I definitely need better wet weather gear - if I'd been camping I'd have been screwed....

The Mountain Marathoners in the distance. Sticking to the low ground, lazy!

Slieve Binnian tors

Devils Coachroad from above

Donard Summit

Not sure what these formations are called but they're spectacular. Are on the Newcastle side of the wall between Commedagh and Slievenaglogh

« Last Edit: September 20, 2010 by J »

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010 »

Still feel like I need a knee and spine transplant and I definitely need better wet weather gear - if I'd been camping I'd have been screwed....

Yep, I mentioned to Kat on the way home that whilst I wasn't too worried about being wet it might have been a different story if I'd to climb into a sleeping bag that evening!

Look at the sheer joy on my face at having been gifted a Scotch Egg... bliss :)   

Kat

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2010 »

Hehe!   ;D  You were so happy Jonny you even decided to take your boots off just after!  Great pics Jonno!  The Mournes actually look quite different and mysterious in those photos! 
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]