Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Feasts,down pours & rescue's  (Read 25684 times)

dean1970

• Top Poster
Re: Feasts,down pours & rescue's
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012 »

Get bent? No need to be rude.

If that's your attitude, no wonder you got into trouble. Must be the know it all type.

Tempted to say more, but reckon you ain't worth the effort. You were not prepared, simple.

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012 »

This is an example of inexperience, poor planning and just basically not being prepared.
I see it everytime I am up there.

Sorry, I think I am the only one here prepared to criticise. Personally, I think you just got a little to confident and complacency set in.

I am very happy you got down and were ok. Lesson learned.
Without getting into a massive debate with you Dean, I gotta disagree with you on this one.
That's fine. No problem all. I was not expecting anyone to agree.

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012 »

If that's your attitude, no wonder you got into trouble. Must be the know it all type.

Tempted to say more, but reckon you ain't worth the effort. You were not prepared, simple.

The know it all type would have never phoned mountain rescue.

Nobody is 100% prepared 100% of the time. I may have a quick poll to ask how many members leave home with a spare headtorch and a bothy bag on every single trip - in order to quantify that a little.

It's easy to look back with hindsight on an event and throw off the cuff criticism, it's quite another dealing with the situation at the time.

John didn't have to post this thread, it's here to help others realise that accidents and emergency scenarios happen - if he were the type to think he's always prepared he might let his ego get in the way and never post about his experiences.

I truly hope you never find yourself in an emergency situation where you need help from others, because the last thing someone needs after such a thing is a scolding from someone who wants to stroke their ego a little. Yet - there's always one!

A.
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2012 »

Just to throw a little more fuel on the fire... :P Dean didnt mention headtorches... I did.

I asked before John deleted his post content why you had his headtorch. I was curious, now Im intrigued  :-\

Nothing inflammatory about it TypoOn - It's a legitimate question - and constructive too.

When it started to rain heavy everything from the top pouch of each of our bags  which could get soaked was transferred to a drybag I brought, I had the only spare one and we were in a hurry to keep moving.

There probably were better ways of doing it, but then hindsight and all
Team Bivvy!

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012 »

The know it all type would have never phoned mountain rescue.

Nobody is 100% prepared 100% of the time. I may have a quick poll to ask how many members leave home with a spare headtorch and a bothy bag on every single trip - in order to quantify that a little.

It's easy to look back with hindsight on an event and throw off the cuff criticism, it's quite another dealing with the situation at the time.

John didn't have to post this thread, it's here to help others realise that accidents and emergency scenarios happen - if he were the type to think he's always prepared he might let his ego get in the way and never post about his experiences.

I truly hope you never find yourself in an emergency situation where you need help from others, because the last thing someone needs after such a thing is a scolding from someone who wants to stroke their ego a little. Yet - there's always one!

A.

I am stroking my ego lol. I am not into scolding. You are missing the point. You didn't even have the basics. Something I am proud to admit I always carry. not here slagging but if you want make it personal but telling to get bent, then maybe you need to grow up.

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012 »

Just to lighten the mood..

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012 »

Hi Dean,mate I've never met you before so I'll reserve judgement on your experience or knowledge,anyway who I'am I to past judgement on you,i'am like most anybody on the Forum,someone  who just has a great love of the outdoors. I'am a strong believer that everyone has a skill to past on & equally needs to be always seeking improvement on their knowledge base.I'am only in NI-WILD for about a year & in that time I've gained a wealth of knowledge from its many experienced members,that's the beauty of this forum ! In regard to last Thursday I stand by my desicion,given the same situation I would do the same,I 'll try to explain this further,in the many years I been walking I've met all types of people,there are those who have nothing to learn & always assume to know everything,they're usually males playing the alpha male,leading & pushing the group with little regard to anybody other that themselves.I've always regarded the mountains as almost a spiritual place for me,somewhere that requires respect & understanding,last Thursday the weather closed in within minutes,i used my best judgement based on failing light & terrible weather conditions,pride can be a very dangerous piece of kit to carry with,you'll find it right next to the mass cards!Sometimes the hardest desicions are not always the easiest one,yes I stand to face criticism,& rightly so,we should have carried extra torches,but faced with risking the life of a close friend & that of my own,well I'll take that on the chin no problem.given that I know Ed & have shared many an adventure with him I think that allows me to past some judgement,I first met Ed on the ICU trek,we're he give up his free time & hard earned cash to help other,secondly he's a very easy going chap & a delight to spent time with,he's always in the thirst for knowledge & equally able to past it on,I remember showing Ed some basic Nav skills on Binnian,he's a real natural !moreover faced with the same situation again I couldn't think of a better more levelled headed guy I'd face it with.

To round up I hope anybody reading this makes the right desicion  if  they are faced with a with the same danger,stay safe guys!

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012 »

I am stroking my ego lol. I am not into scolding. You are missing the point. You didn't even have the basics. Something I am proud to admit I always carry. not here slagging but if you want make it personal but telling to get bent, then maybe you need to grow up.

We had head torches, they were lost.
We didn't have shelter, but it was a day trip which got unexpectedly prolonged by inclement weather.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in this group who has left for the hills without carrying a bothy bag or tent - it does happen, and I wouldn't take it upon myself to lord over any of those people in idle posturing.

Your comment was non-constructive and unnecessary.

I know no one else who would refer to John as wholly inexperienced, or who would interpret our actions as overconfident or rash. Perhaps the photos of us enjoying ourselves earlier in the day, before the weather rolled in - falsely led you to believe we were overconfident or flippant, but an overconfident person doesn't phone for help, they saunter on thinking they can handle it and wind up getting hurt.

Regarding the "get bent" - and its personal nature - I apologise for the insult, but it's easy to see how your remark might inflame or insult - given its context.

A.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012 by Aragorn »
Team Bivvy!

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012 »

Rofl... Hilarious  :D
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012 »

Hi, Mourneman, never met you either. Unlike you, I made my judgement by saying you were not prepared. This was not a personal attack on anyone. My first post said that this was a perfect example of not being prepared. You lose your torch, cant move, then if you had prepared, options may have been available. Obviously some are taking it personal. I never said it was wrong to phone for help. I certainly do not think I know everything. I like yourself, love the area and respect the area.

Again, I never said it was wrong to phone.

I suspect 'Ed' is the person who told me to get 'bent'. 

dean1970

• Top Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012 »

We had head torches, they were lost.
We didn't have shelter, but it was a day trip which got unexpectedly prolonged by inclement weather.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in this group who has left for the hills without carrying a bothy bag or tent - it does happen, and I wouldn't take it upon myself to lord over any of those people in idle posturing.

Your comment was non-constructive and unnecessary.

I know no one else who would refer to John as wholly inexperienced, or who would interpret our actions as overconfident or rash. Perhaps the photos of us enjoying ourselves earlier in the day, before the weather rolled in - falsely led you to believe we were overconfident or flippant, but an overconfident person doesn't phone for help, they saunter on thinking they can handle it and wind up getting hurt.

Regarding the "get bent" - and its personal nature - I apologise for the insult, but it's easy to see how your remark might inflame or insult - given its context.

A.
My comment was fine. You just took it the wrong way. I fully accept your apology. Thank you.

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012 »

Rofl... Hilarious  :D

I thought so too..

BTW Mourneman and Dean you have met, t'was the night we camped at Fofanny.. MM brought Mountain Goat to the camp..

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012 »

My comment was fine. You just took it the wrong way. I fully accept your apology. Thank you.

I apologise only for the insult, the remainder of my posts stand.

The fact that a spare torch would have got us out of there was the first thing we realised when we noticed the bag was missing. It's obvious, like pointing out the sky is blue. If you had a head torch, you wouldn't not have a head torch. We get that.

Your post wasn't informative or constructive,it brought nothing new to the thread other than condescension. it was a smug chance to put someone down and engage in a touch of enjoyable posturing.

It had the air of "nobody's kicked them in the nads yet - allow me"

We all know a spare head torch would have helped, but when you've been through something like that, pointless judgement certainly doesn't help, except maybe the ego of the man dishing it out.

If anyone else gets into a tight spot, I hope they aren't put off mentioning it here as a result of this thread, the majority of this forum are supportive and understanding.

A.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012 by Aragorn »
Team Bivvy!

chink1211

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012 »

Think yas shud just meet for a fair dig
enjoy it while you can

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012 »

I'am starting to think Dean's right,but i don't think i can carry any more kit

229904_10150860105271150_388475798_n by jimmysurg, on Flickr

in fact i know he's right,i've even started to cook my own hand

428530_485972294750027_1844465796_n by jimmysurg, on Flickr

listen guy's i'am to fat in the ass & to long in the tooth to get upset about who say's what,but here's the think i'am not afraid to admit to making a fault & for that i'am happy,ps i've strapped the car-lamp to my head for the next day out  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]