Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 1/2 man tent recomendations  (Read 10941 times)

ChuckMcB

1/2 man tent recomendations
« on: August 24, 2010 »

What's current thoughts for a 1/2 man tent for lightweight camping?

My Dad's after one.

I've got the Vango Beta 250, loads of room, but at 4.5g is too heavy for one person, the vibe I get from him on the Argos Pro action is basicly kinda too cheap to be good.

I've seeing chatter about Vango Banshee and Tempest 200 at the sub-£100 mark and the Terra Nova Laser Competition at the £200+ mark.

Any recommendations for sub-£200 tents?

NeilB

• Top Poster
Re: 1/2 man tent recomendations
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010 »

the terra nova tent was 140 on field and trek last week dude

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010 »

For a One-Man tent I love the Gelert Solo and fantastic value for money.  Very solid and well constructed.  Easy to pitch and reasonably light weight 1495g (With Aluminium pegs instead of the stainless steel supplied)

For the Two-Man I would recommend the Vango Banshee 200.  Again great solid well constructed tent and great value for the money. 1942g so again reasonably light weight.

Chuck... If you would like to "try before you buy" give me a shout and you can borrow them both and see what your dad thinks.
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010 »

The Robens light  is what I'd get. More porch space than the banshee and a little better thought out. Its little things like reflective tape on the guy lines so you can see them at night, the tent is a lighter colour so it feels roomier and more. I used to be a banshee fanboy untill I saw this. Other than that the wild country duo lite/light (sp) is awesome. Both awesome tents for year round use in northern ireland.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010 »

my Gelert Rocky 2 is coping well but not for long people, weighs approx 3kg but the pegs are very heavy (still mananged to bend 2 last night, it seems summits don't have much soil  ::) ) black guy lines are a pain in the arse as i kept tripping over them, I got mine for under a tenner  so its great value but a quick google shows you can get them for only £25
http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=51134101&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=Google-shopping&utm_campaign=Froogle-datafeed&CameFrom=froogle

editted to add
could even go for a Rocky 3 at £37, should have plenty of space for 2 people plus rucksacks and only 3.6kg
http://www.campmania.co.uk/Item-1-14-cat-0-brand-433-Gelert_Rocky_3_2010.aspx
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010 by landyliam »
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010 »

I have a Banshee 300 which is a good tent at 2.5kg. (The 200 is only 2kg) No headroom or porch though.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010 »

For two people who are going to be spending multiple nights in the tent, then I'd highly recommend the Tempest 200.  2.5kg, but split between two people thats only 1250g.  You can either pitch it outer first, or all as one.  Alloy poles.  Just about enough head space to sit upright at the "head" end.  Good sized porch with plenty of room for two rucksacks and cooking.  Even with two rucksacks and two pairs of boots in the porch theres still plenty of room to get in and out.  Me and Kat used it in some very heavy, persistent rain in Scotland and no water came through.  Never had any condensation in it either.

If it was just for one night at a time I'd probably go for a Banshee 200, as on an overnighter I could live without the porch and save a few grams.  If money wasnt an option and I wanted a one man tent I'd go for the Laser Comp.  The Cornmarket Cotswold store has one pitched upstairs and I was really surprised at the amount of porch space between the inner and outer.  You could definitely cook in it.  But after Neil's post and seeing it on Field and Trek at £140 I wouldnt pay any more than that for one!

ChuckMcB

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010 »

Thanks guys.

Looks like we are all thrifty campers...I would be going with the Tempest 200 if I was buying again (I refuse to buy anything more than £100 unless the benefits really slap me in the face)....but he seems to be determined to blow the inheritance (just kidding..if me Da's lurking). So if you folks were to drop £200 or £200+ would you really get a better deal as far as something lighter and more roomy for two tall people. Think a Laser Comp but for two people...

I'll seeing things like the 'Terra Nova Voyager XL', 'Vango Spirit 200' and 'Terra Nova LaserLarge' but can't really see the benefits in extra room or weight. 90cm sit up room and 220cm sleep room is about average for all prices while ~2kg is about average for the weight.

I suppose I'm looking for someone to mention the Nirvana of tents...or to help talk me Da out of blowing that kinda cash ;)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010 »

I suppose I'm looking for someone to mention the Nirvana of tents...

Surely you cant be thinking of a Hilleberg?! ;D  Something like a Nallo perhaps?

The funny thing looking at tents is that spending more money doesn't appear to get you a tent that is much lighter or smaller pack size.  I suppose longevity may come in to it, but I've no reason to think that my Vango wont give me plenty of years of service.  I guess the extra cost of tents from the likes of Hilleberg just doesnt seem at all proportionate to the benefits - I dont even know what the benefits are!  I'd be hard pushed to ever spend over £100 for a tent... although as I said before the Laser Comp at £140 was very, very nearly added to my basket :) 

ChuckMcB

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010 »

The funny thing looking at tents is that spending more money doesn't appear to get you a tent that is much lighter or smaller pack size
That's exactly what I wanted to hear........until I got a PM, from someone who will remain nameless, with a couple of actually quote good possibles which I'm looking at. I'll post with the outcome.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010 »

What about a Vaude tent like the one next door to you on Binnion, that had plenty of space and was certainley easy to put away (didn't see it go up though), while mine was changing size and shape in the wind it seemed pretty steady, no idea which model it was or how much though, maybe ElaineA will give us a report on it  :)
think outside, no box required

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010 »

Speaking of Vaude tents.... was in Belfast this afternoon and just happened to stumble into a few outdoor stores.  Kat and I ended up coming home with a Vaude Hogan Ultralight from Blacks - got it for £105 down from £220.  Weighs in at 1490g and is a 1-2 man tent with a small porch.  Similar shape to what Elaine had on Binnian, but I thinks its shrunken down dimensions and some lighter materials.  The reviews look pretty positive so I'm looking forward to trying it out.  More info here if you are interested.  And I got my free Camping Gaz Camp Bistro stove ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010 »

That's a nice looking tent. I hear Vaude make a good tent.

ElaineA

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010 »

Hey guys, my tent was a Vaude Taurus II. It belongs to school (perk of the job- i can 'borrow' the kit !)- i have used it twice now- first time was on ML training in the lakes where i was really impressed with its relatively lightweight (2.85kg) ;its easy and quick for one person to pitch..... and it never moved on sat nite- despite taking quite a hammering in the wind!
I checked on Cotswold - they have it a £200 - but you can prob get it cheaper elsewhere altho with 25% discount i get it for £150 so if you wanted one i could get it for you.
Have also used the Vango tempest that Johnny likes- but its awkward to put up on your own- need 2 pairs of hands!!!
Nice meeting you guys on sat...hope this is helpful  :)
Miss A :)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010 »

Ohhh... didn't know you could get 25% off in Cotswold.  Know who I'm bringing with me on my next shopping trip ;)

Your Vaude definitely sealed the deal when I saw it on Saturday.  Really impressed with how easy it was to pitch and how stable it was in the wind.  Will still be keeping the Tempest, but its now the "luxury" tent as its a good bit more spacious than the Vaude I got :)
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]