Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: news items  (Read 11697 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: news items
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009 »

Trying to cross Belfast Lough on polystyrene blocks sounds like a bad plan.. Don't think they really thought that out..

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009 »

I agree, though it's a more constructive pastime than the usual recreational rioting that puts 'youths' in the news.

I've less sympathy for the girls with their maps and compasses and presumably pre-planned route, who ended up at the bottom of Fair Head rather than the top - and their leader who waited five hours before calling for help.

Of course the press are notoriously bad at reporting these sorts of incidents.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009 »

Not a good idea those guys must have been watching Bear Grylls.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

Michelle

• Top Poster
    • Michelle's silly kayaking Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009 »

Who is actually responsible for them kids when they are out doing DoE expedititions.  Do the kids not have to check in every couple of hours or before dark/ camping down for the night.

At the end of the day they still are kids and require some degree of supervision even if it is from a distance
Fun is not a straight line

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009 »

When my wife's supervising she usually finds a vantage point and watches, as well as meeting with them at a few pre-arranged points. 
They are supposed to be fending for themselves though and I know some supervisors drop them off and go to the pub.

does anybody on here supervise DofE?

Michelle

• Top Poster
    • Michelle's silly kayaking Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009 »

That wasnt meant to sound like an attack on DoE!! Sorry if it did, i was just curious.  Things are so tight when it comes to supervising kayaking (although it is more coaching to be honest) but when minors are involved i guess it really has to be!
Fun is not a straight line

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009 »

Oh yes, I wasn't criticising either, I don't even know if it's overkill to keep them in sight, or if it's wrong to go to the pub, I was just saying those are the two extremes I've seen.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009 »

I agree, though it's a more constructive pastime than the usual recreational rioting that puts 'youths' in the news.

I've less sympathy for the girls with their maps and compasses and presumably pre-planned route, who ended up at the bottom of Fair Head rather than the top - and their leader who waited five hours before calling for help.

Of course the press are notoriously bad at reporting these sorts of incidents.

Errm, I would say the opposite. Anyone can get lost, even the most experienced of navigator. The DoE party were well equipped etc and were therefore in a much better position than those trying to raft it across Belfast lough. The safety system worked, with the DoE leader alerting the rescue services when no contact was made. The whole aim of the DoE expedition is to encourage independence and self reliability. Of course there is, and should be, a safety net for those concerned and in this case it worked perfectly. I have been told by Mountain Rescue professionals in the past that they are perfectly happy being called out to a rescue for people who go out well equipped and having given route maps and contact details etc as they should do, but they get really annoyed at the khaki shorts and sand shoe brigade who think they are Bear Grylls and venture out with nothing.

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009 »

Well said Celt,

my father as a teacher(now retired) often ran DoE courses with hiking and camping etc, and at various points he had a check in with the groups.

Often this was a pre planned, I will meet you here. That way he could let them work it out for themselves but also had a point where they knew and he knew they were to meet up, then he would arrange the next meet point.

The idiots on the block raft just had no sense of reality or danger. Hey why don't we.....and next thing they are in trouble not because the made a mistake in navigating whilst well equipped, but because they have had no training or backup and so were in a worse situation.

Hound.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009 »

I cant say nothing im sure i would have done something like that when i was younger, there is not alot for young people to do when everything involes money. The goverment need to do more for the kids as they are the future and need things to do so they dont end up molded the wrong way, as its very hard to change a mold without breaking it.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]