Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Blistering and foot pain  (Read 8811 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Blistering and foot pain
« on: January 11, 2010 »

On the flat at about 10 miles I get pretty sore feet (I can cope with that) but between 10 and 15 miles I start to get blisters on both feet on my big toe, ball of foot and heel. By 15 miles its pretty painful and by 17 miles I'm pretty much at my limit. I do have quite sweaty feet and my socks would be damp.

I'm wearing Scarpa XCR fitted by the chaps at Cotswolds. There is some movement inside the boot but a size smaller or using boot spacers under the insoles make them too tight.

If I want any chance of making it the 40+ miles of the Lecale Way in 2 weeks I'll need a plan of some sort.

Anyone any advice?

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
Re: Blistering and foot pain
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010 »

Wear inov-8's or any other trail shoe! they are far more comfy, and if you're not carryin heavy weights you don't really need the support. I have had very few problems with my feet since i started wearing them instead of boots   :D

I get sweaty feet too, i used to wonder if my eVent lining was leaking but it was always just my sweaty feet ::) The gore tex XCR lining (or any other waterproof lining) is gonna cause your feet to sweat more as their ability to breath will be decreased, but they were always gonna sweat when being incased in leather. No solution to the sweaty feet yet.

I've heard loads of advice to help prevent blisters; wear 2 pairs of socks, rub alcohol into your feet, wee on them in the shower, rub them lightly with a low grade sand paper, walk whenever possible barefoot (this is the only one I ever did)

The simple solution is to wear them more and more often so that your feet get used to them, people say you should break your boots in before doing great distances (which is really more applicable when boots were tough leather like the army issue ones) but if you havent worn boots ever or for a long time you are really breaking your feet in as well, and its not surprising they are gonna get tired and sore when they aren't used to it.

On the short term front, if you know where you get hot spots and blisters then get some zinc oxide and tape up the specific areas, prevention is better than cure. If you don't sort your feet out before you leave do it when they start to get sore, only very stupid/inexperienced people keep on walking in pain instead of sorting out their feet especially if your walking the next day. Don't be encasing your entire foot in tape though. I'd leave the tape on that night and then when in the shower/bath the next day take it off.

Personally I avoid using compeed and don't apply it unless your feet are in rag, and once applied don't try to remove it, it will come off when it is done. Trying to remove it when it doesn't want to is a sure way to get sore feet.

On an aside I really hate boots and shoes with a waterproof liner as they make your feet sweat and once wet take a decade to dry out! Lightweight non membrane shoe/boot plus a gore tex sock and then normal socks are the way forward in life!  ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010 »

Much of that fits with what I have read to date - don't leave it, fix blisters as the start, use zinc oxide tape, wear shoes instead of boots.
One thing I have seen is people swearing by Compeed plasters and gel as a great way to deal with blistering.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010 »

Personally I hate the stuff, but that is due to a bad experience where I pulled the compeed off and all the skin that was attached to it. That was one of the less pleasant experiences of the U.W and for the next couple days my foot was a bit tender to say the least!

Use them by all means, but be patient in getting them off your feet, unless you want to lose a couple layers of skin by pulling them off! It is not advised!

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010 »

Same as everything mate there are quick fix soloutions that are only temporary. If you want to stop getting blisters you need to walk more to get the skin hardened. For the end of the month however I'd recomend 2pairs of socks and tape up the problem areas before you start. Watch tape around the toes though, I found that it "balled" up and rubbed into my toe causing a very painfull wound!

kendogbaggio

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010 »

Jonno take a look here mate it might be of help  ??? some Q&A from other walkers. http://www.go4awalk.com/ask/surgicalspirit.php

Take a look at these too http://www.0800sports.co.uk/product.php/64609/0... expensive but may be worth it. you would be best reading up on reviews of them first before you spend the money on them

Regards,

Dave
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010 by kendogbaggio »
There is pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes, By the deep sea and the music in its roar; I love not man the less, but Nature more

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]