Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: walking with dogs  (Read 12306 times)

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
walking with dogs
« on: September 27, 2009 »

how many in here have dogs, and walk with them in the hills? I have a couple of springers and I feel that they are ready to begin walking with me in the mournes. their about 6months old and stuffed with energy so I'm looking for ideas on routes.

Ideally i'd like a quite route where the chances of meeting other people are realitivley slim (especialy other dogs!)
Something with romping moors so they can run around a lot
and maybe a liitle summit for a few first pics!

anyone any ideas where this magical small mountain in the middle of nowhere where no one ever goes is!? I'll have a look at the map later and see if I can find anything but any suggestions and dog walking tips would be appreciated.

Steve

• Newbie Poster
Re: walking with dogs
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009 »

I have a black and tan Jack Russell that comes everywhere with me, IMO it's not fair not to bring your dogs because they are naturally outdoor creatures and love being outside and tracking and chasing things.  It's very rare that a dog on it's own will catch anything so I don't see any harm in letting them chase the odd rabbit or rat.

When you are just out for a walk, your dog(s) will be sniffing about trying to find things because that's what they do, If I were you I'd take them to Knochchree, it's not a big hill and there's a gravel path most of the way round with a nice wee summit.

Mouldsy

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009 »

I have a Golden Lab and take him with me when I can, I took him to the Mourne with me a while ago and had to keep him on the lead the whole time as there was a lot of sheep about and the farmer was out in the fields, I like the dog to run free as I know he wouldn't harm another animal and I hate having him on the lead as he likes to run free plus he gets more exercise running about on his own. But with the farmer going about his business and seeing a dog running about round his sheep I am sure he wouldn't be to happy and they have the right to shoot a dog which is not on a lead. I would advise, if you are going to the Mourne's with your dogs, that you keep them on a lead as it would run the risk of them getting shot by an angry  farmer.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009 »

Yeh true Mouldsy, my mates dog was shot on the carntall road thats on the way to ballyclare,

He left the dog at his sisters house while he was on holilday, it got out and the frammer shot it.

I wont go into detail but it had a bad death.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009 »

its fair enough to shoot a dog. do you have any idea how much sheep cost!

Paul

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009 »

Folks to clear a commonly held misbelief, a farmer has no right to shoot a dog just because it is off a lead, they have no right to shoot a dog because it is on their land they can only shoot a dog which is actively worrying livestock. If a farmer was to shoot your dog and it wasnt worrying livestock, the farmer would be liable for prosecution.

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009 »

not really a dog person chris?

this happened me, 1 of my dogs got shot in ballymena, to say i ws gutted is an understatement, i got the dog just after my son was born so the dog and him would grow up together, she was a wee red staff, an absolutely brilliant dog, she slipped the lead got into a field and the farmer shot her said he thought it was a fox but shot her from about 10 metres away, the bastard. i dont give a monkeys how much a sheep costs they are a commodity a dog is part of you family your pack, i dont know how anyone can compare a dog and sheep

Mouldsy

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009 »

Thanks for that Paul, I thought that even if the dog was in the same field as the sheep the dog could be shot.
I agree with Neil, the dog is part of the family, I take it you don't like dogs Chris?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009 »

errrr...did you guys not read the point of this post? I love my dogs and dogs in generall, and I'm looking to take them out walking with me. I know a few of the farmers around my area very well and just last week some dogs got in and he lost 3 sheep at £17,000, each thats £51,000 down the drain in a few mins. I'n my opinion its every farmers right to shoot a dog, but only as paul says "if its activley worrying livestock" That must've been a pretty scummy farmer to take a shot like that from 10m mate, i'm sorry you lost your dog.
They look after their sheep like we look after our dogs, if an animal was about to attack your dog and you had the chance to shoot it i'm damn sure I would.

Its our job to be responsible dog owners.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009 by chris_8764 »

Mouldsy

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009 »

Your right mate, It is our responsibility to look after our dogs when we are out.
Davy.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009 »

I'm not a huge fan of dogs, never have been so when I'm out walking it's a bit annoying when other peoples dogs come up and start sniffing round me or the kids. With a bigger dog it can be worrying.That said, dogs are outdoors animals so I appreciate that they like to run free.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009 »

I got myself a black lab/rott for bring up the hills but need to wait till he s at least 18 months old cause there joints are dodgy before that.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009 »

I think you should be careful not doing too much with your dog when its young as MG1 has suggested. From what I know, yeah yeah very little  ;) ;D, I wouldn't be taking my dog out on anything too strenuous before theyre about 9 months old as if they havent fully grown it can mean that their joints might deteriate rather quickly.

Dog advice has been done a couple times on OM, check the links, will be more useful than anything I can tell you

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/11238/

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/26794/

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/25234/

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/32139/

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009 »

18 months!? I heard 6months...

indianian

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009 »

There are areas in the Mourns where the landowners dont allow any dogs apart from there own working dogs,  and these areas are sign posted at carparks,  what they can do about it im not sure, but it might be ammo in any access issues, so we need to be careful in that respect..  i would say im fond of dogs but not a dog lover,  i wont take one in to the mountains or allow anybody im leading to take one, just in case the worst happened, the fall out and aftermath would just not be worth the hassle!!!! as for farmers shooting dogs,  if they are attacking his livestock then i feel he has the right to, and claim compensation for any loss from the dog owner.  but common sense must be used and not an excuse for some target practice. as for the cost of the sheep, WOW thats an expensive roast,  do you get a free portion of mint sauce with that  lol
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]