Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• iPlod Marshalling: June 18, 2010 - June 19, 2010
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Volunteering for the iPlod 2010  (Read 57265 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
Volunteering for the iPlod 2010
« on: August 10, 2009 »

The 2011 Iplod Thread is Here : http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1739.0

Updated 4th Apr
I've been contacted and asked if any of us would like to volunteer to help with the iPlod in June. I don't have full details yet but we will be meeting in Newcastle at 7pm, Friday for something to eat and a briefing then 3 teams will be bused to the entry points. Team A will be leaving from the Trassy pitching at Hares Gap and team B/C from Bloody Bridge pitching at The Bog of Donard and The Castles. Checkpoints need established by 11pm. Each team will be accompanied by a comms dude. Each team will have a list of the groups coming through which they will check as they arrive - once the runners are all through then the teams can sleep until the morning. Runners should all be by Hares Gap by 3am and The Bog by 5am. The teams need to meet up and be at their pickup point (probably Bloody Bridge) to be bussed to breakfast by 9am-ish. At this point marshalls can either leave or hang around to help and as far as I know there will likely be a dinner and a camp spot at Tollymore when the race finishes on Saturday evening.

Final details are still being ironed out and I'll keep updating this post. There's no limit to the number of people that can come and help and we may supply more checkpoints if we have more people. Obviously if you want to help you need to be able to stay up most of the night, be fit enough to walk the Brandy Pad and own gear suitable for a night on the hill in whatever conditions the Mournes experience on the night.  

The easiest plan is to get at least 3 people with a bit of experience who will lead each team - volunteers please contact me.

Also, can anyone that is interested and has first aid certificates of any sort please let me know.

iPlod Info:
http://www.action.org.uk/get_involved/iplod

Basically, I got caught up with the N. Ireland Iplod  this year and there was shortage of boys and girls prepared to man check points i.e. wander off into the Mournes on a Friday evening to a designated point...wild camp...register teams through on the Friday night/Saturday...wander off...all in the name of charity...

We could have done with extra teams at the Donard Saddle, Donard Peak, Bog of Donard/top of the bloody bridge path......any interest?

Join the ultimate endurance challenge - this walk is not for the faint hearted or ill-prepared. iPLOD challenges you to complete the gruelling 50km route we have designed for you in the magical Mountains of Mourne.

To make your challenge even more interesting you will begin your mega hike at midnight. iPLOD will probably push you further than you’ve ever been pushed before and just as you reach your physical limits we will throw in a few extra mental challenges to test you even further.

Whether you are a seasoned trail walker or just up for the experience of a big challenge then this is the event for you. iPLOD is all about your individual determination to get through, and getting through it is all about teamwork.  Don’t miss out on the ultimate endurance challenge be a part of iPLOD.

Our endurance walkers will be helping to stop suffering in children. Every tough mile completed takes us closer to achieving our mission: to treat sick babies and tackle premature birth, to make life better for children with disabilities, and to target a group of rare diseases that together severely affect many forgotten children.

Teams can consist of 3-6 walkers,  and one support driver.  All will need guts and determination to take on the great outdoors. Team work will be an essential ingredient and you will need to keep each other motivated to get through the long night and the next day.

I think it sounds like a great idea - like an excuse to wild camp while helping a charity.

Current Marshalls
J
666_Pack
MG1
Matthewrblack
MikeD
Dowser
Chuck
AndyD
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011 by admin »

MG1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Volunteering for the iPlod 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009 »

Count me in. ;D
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009 »

I'd be game for that. Put me down too. Any xcuse for a night on the hills.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009 »

why not! count me in!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009 »

Me too. Thats 4 at least which I assume would be enough. Awesome. We've plenty of time to plan :D

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009 »

I would be up for that n all, ill bring the jaffa cakes. Roll on next year.

That makes 5 now  ;)
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009 »

I'd definately consider it as long as they don't frown on me bringing as much beer as i can carry  :D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009 »

I'd definately consider it as long as they don't frown on me bringing as much beer as i can carry  :D

I detect a whiff of competition there  ::)

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009 »

I might have to abandon my 35litre sack for a rather larger alternative  ;D

It will be full going up and empty coming down. Either that or a couple of recce trips to dump them in a safe place would have to take place, but that would never work. I'd either drink a couple once I'd reached the hiding place, or forget exactly where it was!

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009 »

LOL we can lighted the load on the way up  ;D
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009 »

Action Medical Research have been in touch again about the 2010 iPlod. The dates will be the 18/19 June 2010 but it runs on a Friday/Saturday so a day off work might be needed.

It sounds like a blast and is for a good cause so is well worth the effort. Who's in!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009 »

I'm still in ;D
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009 »

I too, like Flynn, am in.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009 »

I'm still in ;D
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010 »

Hi guys,

Just a reminder that we need to firm up plans and numbers for this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]