Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mourne Way Marathon  (Read 14785 times)

MG1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Mourne Way Marathon
« on: December 08, 2009 »

Has any considered doing this? Bit of training before the MMM.

http://mournewaymarathon.com/the-race/
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
Re: Mourne Way Marathon
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009 »

Missed out on running it last year, but am considering throwing my hat in for the full marathon this year, need to get running though.

If I don't have anything to aim for I just end up sitting on my arse and not doing any training, speaking of which I must head out this eve for a quick run

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009 »

ok just had a look at the site and I am in!

What about an NI-Wild team?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009 »

Im up for this also guys, will tag along with you

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009 »

so anyone any training advice?

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009 »

I'm in too ;D

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009 »

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009 »

Training advice: Get running!  ;)

What distance you doing?

Unless you're walking I wouldn't be carrying anything more than the required kit list.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009 »

as I'm not really a runner but want to improve I've been running about 1.5-3km a night to begin with and will increase this as the current distance becomes easier. I have an approx 5 mile route that I want to be running 4-5 times a week and add a Km per sessionn per month untill the marathon. I know that I am  never gonna complete it in 4-5 hours but really wanna give it a good go.

Me and MG1 are gonna do a trial run of the route in feb some time and try and squeeze in some more hill time even if its a weekly run to the summit of cave hill..........but every little helps.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009 by 666_pack »

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009 »

To be honest I'm not really that qualified to give too much advice however I have ran a couple of half marathons coming in at 1:37 and 1:42 or thereabouts with probably the least amount of training any sensible person* would do.

Anyways advice:

As you are only starting into running you should probably have a look at your technique and your footwear. I stopped running regularly to stop damaging my knees however have recently started trying to POSE run which takes the pressure off your knees and puts it onto your muscles in a more "natural" barefoot running style. Theres a couple youtube videos uploaded on my blog here ---> http://ulsterwalker.blogspot.com/2009/10/pose-running-fixing-your-running-style.html
I'd be surprised if you can run any distance without your calves becoming balls of lead to start with, so when they start hurting stop POSEing or you'll end up walking like a cripple for the next few days like I did. It takes time to readjust to running like this, but seeing as you are getting back into running its perfect time to consider changing your style

Variety is the spice of life, whatever that means, so mix it up and if you start to get bored pick out new routes or run your regular route backwards, helps keep your body guessing I suppose.

Your favourite high tempo music always help if you're struggling

Get onto Google Earth / Maps and measure the distance you are running. Every time you run it time how fast you do it in, gives you something to work against. If you have a stopwatch  hit the lap time at certain points of your regular run and then you can gauge how much faster/slower you are doing each leg. I like to turn it into MPH for some reason, "I ran 4 seven minute miles last night"

Try to concentrate on your running while running (I know that sounds stupid), are you really pushing yourself, can you run faster without not making it back. I usually find myself falling into auto-pilot when out running and then realise what I am doing and can increase the pace a bit.

Someone once told me that to get back to fitness they found intense sprint training to work the best, I can see why it would work. The advice was to run the length of a football pitch and then sprinting the width and continuing, or mixing them up, sprint long, run short. Having no pitches close by I run and sprint using the street lamps as markers for on and off sprinting.

Work on whatever you consider to be the weakest part of your running the most. If you are poor at hills make an active effort to work them into your run. Usually if I was to this I would run a shorter distance and then do a set of "hill sprints" or just hill repeats. It makes you look like a twat but its good for you and means you'' be stronger on the flats as well.

I don't know if I'd run every night, as just like doing weights or whatever your body needs rest to recoup. My brothers rugby team used to train Monday, Wednesday and then match on Sat, however apparently training Tuesday and Thursday helps better performance on match day. Applying a similar theory to running you should aim to run 2 smaller runs during the week and then a longer run on the Saturday. As far as I know this is also how most fell runners train.

Most importantly just get out and go running, I am terrible for putting it off and then not bothering at all.

As for increasing distance you are the only person who will know when to do it, but if you don't push yourself you won't know if you run out of the steam the worst that will happen is walking home, which aint that bad really

Well that is about as much wisdom as I have for today! I hope that helps

* this does not mean I consider myself to be overly sensible  ;)

P.s I realise that after saying that I wasn't really in a position to give advice that I have given out a load of it, lol.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009 »

cheers Keith. def food for thought ;D

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010 »

Resurrecting this thread to see how every bodies prep is going for it, see who's doing what and see if a NI wild team is gonna get branded together for it.

Looked at the SI entries site again to have a Jeffrey through the entries but for some reason you can't browse the entry list :(

So what's anybody doing or still to enter?

I've rather stupidly entered the marathon and I'm now starting to cack it a bit as it will be first in any form, however for better or worse I'm committed and training hasn't ben going too badly. From reading the Belfast "up and running" forum it seems that mourne way marathon times  are roughly normal marathon time plus a couple hours, so looks like I'll be enjoying 6 hours + of waddling over the hills, wunderbar. I don't think my body will be thanking me much the next day!

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010 »

I def out of this one, my training has pretty much stopped bar the odd stint on the exercise bike.
Its Funny me and 666_pack were out running round mtb trail at craigavon lakes in winter conditions 3 times a week. Now that the weathers better we can't trail our selfs out of the house.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010 »

I still think we should go for it, even if we end up walking most of the route at least we can say that we've done not only a marathon but a mountain marathon, we can just mumble a time.
I think it'd be good banter if a few of us got an NI wild team on the go and just stuck together on the way round. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that! You'd prob get a t shirt or a medal or something stupid.

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010 »

I'd be up for the marathon !

Tho - i'll live to regret it !!
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]