Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Lightweight Waterproof Jacket  (Read 11298 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Lightweight Waterproof Jacket
« on: August 12, 2009 »

I need a Lightweight Waterproof Jacket. At the moment I have a Craghoppers one but it's pretty bulky but I'm not sure what to swap it for. I'm have the problem now that I'll be wanting to do mountains in winter but don't want to have to but loads of gear suitable for warm and cold weather.

What do you all have or recommend?

666_pack

• Hero Poster
Re: Lightweight Waterproof Jacket
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009 »

hi jonno,
seems to me that even in winter the 3 layer system will keep you quite warm anyway.
I'm after an up grade in the same dept at the minute. I use a regatta waterproof windstopper but is not breathable and as you've seen I run hot!! Bad times.

I've found the craghopper microfleece to be a great mid layer & teamed with base layer a light waterproof/breathable jacket should do the trick.(as all ways it never does any harm to keep a spare insulation layer in the pack.

When I find the right jacket I'll let you know and keep me posted on your search.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009 »

I've started carrying a montane featherlite smock pretty much everywhere I go. 

they're about £40; I got mine from chain reaction (through the cycle to work scheme) but I've seen them in Lindsays too.

It's made from Pertex, so it's windproof and very breathable.  Montane only claim it to be 'shower proof' but I've worn mine through some pretty heavy downpours on the bike and it hasn't leaked at all. 
At the start I was worried that it'd rip since they're so thin, but no bother so far.

It's probably not a good choice as your only coat, but for something very lightweight that packs small and keeps the wind and rain out - it's the business.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009 »

That looks like what I'm after - essentially a windshirt. What else would you wear when it was cold and wet?

I've started carrying a montane featherlite smock pretty much everywhere I go. 

they're about £40; I got mine from chain reaction (through the cycle to work scheme) but I've seen them in Lindsays too.

It's made from Pertex, so it's windproof and very breathable.  Montane only claim it to be 'shower proof' but I've worn mine through some pretty heavy downpours on the bike and it hasn't leaked at all. 
At the start I was worried that it'd rip since they're so thin, but no bother so far.

It's probably not a good choice as your only coat, but for something very lightweight that packs small and keeps the wind and rain out - it's the business.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009 »

yep that looks the job.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009 »

I wonder how durable it will be , I have been reading lately that although everything is now very lightweight especially outer layers there are questions about the wear on shoulders that rucksack straps can cause.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009 »

I wonder how durable it will be , I have been reading lately that although everything is now very lightweight especially outer layers there are questions about the wear on shoulders that rucksack straps can cause.

I am a bit of a gear freak, please bear that in mind  :D 

I think thats more of an issue when you're depending on a membrane, I.e G-tex/e-Vent/isotex/etc, these days my gore-tex paclite jacket seems to be nothing more than a windproof. When wet you can see a colour difference on the inside (where there has been lots of abrasion from straps) and it doesn't really do much for keeping the water out, maybe this is partly why I have lost my faith in it and now calll it sweat-tex. I'm hoping that a thorough clean and reproof, might sort it out, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Windproofs generally work on tightly woven materials, so, although there will be wear you shouldnt really lose too much of the performance unless you manage to create large gashes in it, this has been the case with my haglofs windshirt which has taken plenty abuse.

Personally the next waterproof I buy will be a lightweight jacket made with the companies own membrane fabric as I don't really plan to wear them very much and don't really see them lasting much abuse, therefore not worth the higher prices for Gore labeled stuff. Not that I have any connection/experience with them, but the Marmot Precip jacket seems to get the thumbs up from OutdoorsMagic peeps, plus it seems to be priced pretty well, only problem being that you prob won't find one in the shops to try.

Unless you're gonna be facing bitterly cold winters, not really a problem over here, I'd say layering is the way forward for everyone, that way you can cover all bases with individual pieces of kit and pick and choose what you want/need. I run pretty hot so when on the move wear very little to try and stop the gravy train from forming. For my top half I'll probably be moving in just a base layer and possibly a windproof or wetproof for the wind (if its really blowing.) Unless its very cold I'll be carrying a 100 weight fleece or there abouts and a down vest, plus hats gloves and probably a buff (plus the wind/wetproof). Unless I'm static for a very long time and not taking shelter that would do me in nearly every situation.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009 »

Excellent info. What exactly is a down vest?

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009 »

I wondered the same thing first time ulsterwalker mentioned it.  I assume it's something like Alpkit's Filet:
http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16391&category_id=270

(another plug for one of our favourite online shops!)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009 by DryBag »

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009 »

A down vest is the same as a down jacket except for it don't have any arms  :D

Yep the same thing as a fillet! Alpkit are a brilliant little company, I've got so many of their bits and bobs you'd sometimes think I'm working for them!

Down clothing, and sleeping bags for that matter, use the soft parts of goose feathers to create an insulating layer, very much the same as any synthetic sleeping bag/or jacket would. Synthetic clothing/sleeping bags, i.e snugpak, primaloft, are pretty much using man made materials to get the same result as that of the feathers, but so far nothing compares to what nature has created. Down is still the best insulating to bulk/weight on the market, but it is also usually quite expensive and is pretty much useless when it gets wet.

It is great stuff, but there are issues with it; you need to look after it (drybags all the way); unless you want to try cleaning it, sending it to a professional to get it cleaned is usually the norm; it is usually more expensive than its synthetic counterpart, however for this you get smaller pack size/weight and longer life; it can get quite confusing deciphering the quality/fill of the down, better/greater fill usually means more expensive, and the US uses a different meausring bar than the EU, people on OM* have a greater understanding of fills and all that than me though.

I've got a PHD Minimus vest which is the mutts nuts, espec seeing that I picked up cheap. On the mention of PHD, they usually have a sale twice a year, winter and summer, and although its still quite expensive, you can pick up some brilliant clothing/bags for a much more resonable price

* outdoorsmagic.com

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009 »

TK Maxx in lisburn had Dare 2 b jackets  (40quid i think) Seem very god for the money. I tried one on and it was very comfortable, very light and very well made. Might be worth a look jonno. Also i saw tk maxx boucer road had very lightweigt berghaus ones for 90quid.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009 »

TK Maxx in lisburn had Dare 2 b jackets  (40quid i think) Seem very god for the money. I tried one on and it was very comfortable, very light and very well made. Might be worth a look jonno. Also i saw tk maxx boucer road had very lightweigt berghaus ones for 90quid.

What are dare2be like?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009 »

http://www.dare2b.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_13051_-1_24755_89312_11551_24753

This is the page for the one i was looking at, they also had the trail addict one. I'm not sure what the verdict is but i'm sure you'll be able to find some reviews if you look around.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]