Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Runners: Karhu shoes  (Read 5558 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Runners: Karhu shoes
« on: April 05, 2012 »

This is a question for anyone who is into running.  I never go running, mainly because I reckon I'd need a decent pair of running shoes so that I don't wreck myself.

I was looking at some Karhu shoes, the look pretty good especially for what I am keen on - cushioning.  Has anyone any knowledge or experience of them?

I'm looking at the Fulcrum: Fast and Forward.

I'm lost in all the terminology.  Their website goes into detail on Stability (Stable, Strong and Steady), and Neutral (Fast/Forward/Racer).  I supose I'm out of my depth but does it matter?  If I got a pair I wouldn't have high expectations, I would be happy with comfortable.  Maybe all this other stuff is jusy for those really into the science of their running.

Any thoughts?
"Not all those who wander are lost."

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: Runners: Karhu shoes
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012 »

mmm... I'll answer your questions directly first, then I'll add my opinion.

Stability tends to mean extra support (by way of shape or differing midsole density) to control pronation (ankle roll on landing).
Neutral does not influence your foot in this regards.
Racing shoes tend to have less cushioning and a flatter profile (less heel-raise).

I don't know about Kahru but saw this video regarding their shoe ideas.

Now, what I personally think... you are in an ideal position to avoid shoes like this! You don't want to wreck yourself, so I would steer clear of heavily cushioned shoes: they encourage heel-strike which puts lots of pressure on the knees, and lift you higher off the ground which makes going over on your ankle more likely and more serious.
As you do no running at present you are going to have to start gently and gradually anyway, so I would advise looking to develop more natural styles of running. POSE is good place to start, but POSE, Chi, minimal, barefoot.... they are all really on about the same thing: gentle mid/forefoot landing near your centre of mass generally with a corresponding increase in cadence (steps/min) and less bobbing (the oscillation mentioned in that video). When you sprint you naturally run this way but when people slow down in big shoes it all goes out the window.

You can run this way in normal trainers but it is very difficult - the thinner and flatter the shoe, the more you can feel the ground and let your body automatically adjust your stride...rather than having to mentally control every step. Racing trainers or more minimal shoes are better for this. You will see many recommendations but some choices are (from less cushioned to no cushioned):

Adidas Adi-zeros /Bostons
Asics hyperspeed /tarthar
Saucony Kinivara
Inov8 F-lite
Merrell road glove
NB minimus road
Jinga
Vivo barefoot evo/neo/aqua

Trail options are available.

I've been running like this (and done some full bare-foot) for a few years. I'm still not the best runner and could do with improving my efficiency and stride but would never go back!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012 »

Craig is this the sort of thing the fivefingers are aimed at?
 http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/barefoot-sports/

Yes! Although I'm told they either fit you, or they don't... due to the individual toe thing. Most people would be more comfortable in a more familiar shoe (foot mitt vs foot glove) environment, and you can use your regular socks (easier to wash smells out of socks  ;D ). You will get stared at & questioned less also.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012 »

While I wouldn't have a fraction of the knowledge that Craig has on this, I have recently started running regularly. Yeah, a good pair of running shoes is a must, especially if you're going to run on a hard surface. Obviously there's the whole barefoot side of things, which I'm yet to delve into. But if you're looking for something cushioned then I'd definitely recommend walking away from the internet and going into somewhere like Up and Running in Belfast. They'll look at things like do you over or under pronate, how you run and fit the right shoe for you. I think my runners were £60. There's no point in paying hundreds for a runner before you know for sure that it's something you're going to keep up. A marathon runner that I work with swears by cheap £40-60 runners as he knows what suits his foot and all runners need replacing after a certain number of miles.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012 »

i suffered from shin splints after road running until i went to up and running and tried on LOADS of shoes on the treadmill until i found the one i liked (asics 1160), no more shin pains  :)
think outside, no box required

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]