Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mourne Way Marathon/Half/Ultra/10K/Walk 2011  (Read 15432 times)

MikeD

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Re: Mourne Way Marathon/Half/Ultra/10K/Walk 2011
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011 »

I'm up for the marathon section, but i have a sore ankle at the moment (stood on in football), if it clears by Monday, then I'll be signing up.

Mac

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011 »

If anyone is not doing this event and would like to be part of it please see here http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2103.0.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011 »

Quick update on this... it was hard!

To elaborate slightly, the 1st half was great. Some boggy bits and the road section pained my knee a bit but we all loped along at a fair lick to Tollymore. After crossing the stepping stones it more or less was 4 miles of climbing right up past the quarry in Donard (lots of walking at this point), then up a bit more over some rough ground before a long, steep descent to a tree in Donard Pk marking the half-way. I came in about 5:15 and was feeling pretty upbeat. I chatted with Simon for 10 mins getting some food and water in me then started back up the steep hill. Over the top, started running again in that slow ultra-runner way working through Tollymore where the 1st of the marathon runners blazed past us uphill!! I was 1hr40 from where they had come in 40mins!

A lot of marathoners were passing us by the time we reached the water stop at the bottom of Trassey. I was going down-hill (metaphorically) rather quickly at this point which was upsetting, although MikeD caught me at this point and raised my spirits as we chatted up the path. The track section between Trassey and Fofanny was my favourite part of the course but I couldn't get the same mojo going as the 1st time across. My body was shutting down - it didn't want to eat, and my heart rate wouldn't stay up - it just kept dropping from the 150s until it was barely over 100. By the time I hit the road again most people were past and us stragglers were walking or running at the speed of a slow walk. Pushing past the half-way (3/4) mark and down the road to the Spelga feed station where I should have stopped. We had more or less missed the cut off, but unspoken, a few continued on and I tagged on the back. Unfortunately, they just gradually pulled away and I realised I was the last on the course as the back-marker picking up the signs managed to be walking quicker than me. A long time later I made it to Leitrim Lodge and knew there was only 10K to go. It was taking too long though, so at Batt's wall (I think) I called it a day.
48/9 miles, 12hr40.

I really should have stopped earlier. It was a bit of a pointless exercise continuing, but an experience none-the-less. I got a major dose of food poisoning the next day to boot so was on my back most of last week!!!
The legs were only sore for 2 days so I'm happy that my training was good enough for the most part and helped with the recovery. The Merrell Trail Gloves were fine also. It's an amazing event, and the weather was perfect on the day. Wouldn't hesitate to enter the marathon again, but will think twice next time an Ultra tries to entice me  :D

Thanks to Mike and Simon for the good spirits and looking out for me in terms of lifts home, tent packing, etc.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011 »

Great effort mate. I don't know any one who would even have give it ago. Fair play to you.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011 »

That was an amazing effort Craig, hats off to you!  Sounds like you learnt a lot, I can't even begin to imagine the physical and mental resolve required.  The marathon alone brings me out in sweats just thinking about it ;)

Didn't realise Mike was running as well, did you do the marathon Mike?  How did you get on?

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011 »

I had a great day!  First two hours out of Donard Wood got the sweats up, but then chilled with Craig for a while, and then, its quite a pleasant run through the rest of the course.  Its a really really nice course, great wee day. 

Its much better then the belfast marathon, where people behave like animals at the aid stations.... in the mourne marathon, people stop for a chat, have some fruit cake and a banana, then ease off again....

Got lucky with the weather.  I'm seriously considering the causeway marathon in early october, also ran by extreme 26, its going to be cracking scenery too....

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011 »

Well done Mike, what time did you manage it in?  I like the sound of the relaxed atmosphere, definitely sounds like a contrast to the Belfast Marathon.

I'm seriously considering the causeway marathon in early october, also ran by extreme 26, its going to be cracking scenery too....

I took the event photographs for the inaugural Causeway Coast Marathon.  The course was stunning, such a great location.  Kat has been talking about entering another marathon... maybe I should steer her towards the Causeway ;)  

Kat

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011 »

Yes, I'm feeling the need to get out and train for something again!  Causeway Marathon a definite possibility..however it took me near a year to get up to standard for the last marathon so perhaps it's too soon!  Loch Ness marathon next year sounds like a nice one!  :)  Well done you guys btw on your recent runs!

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011 »

Well, my time was pretty shabby, at 5:40, but, most people were just taking their time, and so was I  ;D

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011 »

And big respect for Craig, there is no way, I could have turned around at the end and ran it all over again.  To get so close to the finish line too - around 49 miles - you're a legend !

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011 »

Good job Mike.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011 »

Cheers all - sure it makes for a bit of entertainment trying these things, and you always achieve more than you imagine.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]