Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Mourne MM - *found* a team mate.  (Read 8838 times)

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Mourne MM - *found* a team mate.
« on: May 12, 2010 »

I fancy doing the Mourne Mountain Marathon this September, but I need a team mate!
I think I could middle Class B looking at last year's times (secretly wanting top 10), but if there's really no takers I could maybe be persuaded to go in C Class.  It's £34 each for entry and timing chip hire.

www.mourne2day.com

To try and profile myself
It takes me a half-hour to settle in, but I'm like a husky after that... will jog flats and less extreme ups/downs.
I cycle everyday and ran the Belfast marathon last year.
My training will probably be short jogs /sprints /city hospital stairs with a pack on, and a few trips up Cave Hill.
Might try a few orienteering events too.  
I'll be working nearly everyday over the summer so won't get to the Mournes much, but I know them pretty well.

I have a 1kg tent for the team and don't plan on packing more than 5-6kg.
I'm not known to snore or fart much, and will be packing earplugs at any rate  :D
----------------------------------
Thanks for considering me
Any takers?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010 by twentyclicks »
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

chris

• Hero Poster
Re: Mourne MM - looking a team mate.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010 »

Have you run it before? I'm going to be running again this year but I'm not sure how I'm fixed with a partner as the guy I would be running with is starting uni this year. I'm not sure about B class tho, I had planned to do C class and to do well.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010 »

I'll only do it if someone carries me in their backpack

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010 »

that sounds like a perfect solution . I tried to jog but I think the rave era and my fags and wine has took it's effect  :( good luck and I wish u the best I just wish I had the commitment to train for some thing like this 
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010 »

you would def be able to do the D class jonno. Its just a walk.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010 »

Is that an offer to carry me round? You and Billy Backpack could get together and carry me around in a sedan chair  ::)

you would def be able to do the D class jonno. Its just a walk.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010 »

Think me and Kat are going to give this a shot in the D class :)  Mr. Backpack is too good at selling these ideas!

So I'm afraid you are going to have to do it Jonno... we need your prog rock for the overnighter! 

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010 »

Prog rock?  Get that man on board!

Chris - cool, I'll keep that option in mind.  Keep me updated with your situation. 

Just, looking at the results in both classes there are clearly people in C who would be fine in B, and the organisers noted their disappointment at the lower number of entrants in the higher classes.  Heck, statistically I could get a top 10 in the Elite  ;D  I think there is a sizeable overlap. 

For inspiration I recommend checking out:
Every Second Counts (Crossfit games)
Ultra-marathon Man (check out the kids in this!)
Some of the 'mature' folks who race the WHW!
The World's Fastest Indian
The Matrix
Craig
-----------------------

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010 »

The Matrix

Neo: Jonno:  "What are you trying to tell me?  That I can dodge bullets climb mountains?"

Morpheus: Billy Backpack:  No, Neo Jonno.  I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to".

Spoon boy: Billy Backpack:  Do not try and bend the spoon climb the mountain.  That's impossible.  Instead... only try to realise the truth.

Neo: Jonno:  What truth?

Spoon boy: Billy Backpack:  There is no spoon mountain.

Neo: Jonno:  There is no spoon mountain?

Spoon boy: Billy Backpack:  Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends mountain that must be climbed, it is only yourself.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010 »

That's the sort of nerdy attitude that has us all sitting round the campfire bloody Googling stuff :)

The Matrix

Neo: Jonno:  "What are you trying to tell me?  That I can dodge bullets climb mountains?"

Morpheus: Billy Backpack:  No, Neo Jonno.  I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to".

Spoon boy: Billy Backpack:  Do not try and bend the spoon climb the mountain.  That's impossible.  Instead... only try to realise the truth.

Spoon boy: Billy Backpack:  Then you'll see, that it is not the spoon that bends mountain that must be climbed, it is only yourself.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010 »

:D :D :D

That's the sort of nerdy attitude that has us all sitting round the campfire bloody Googling stuff :)

The Matrix

Craig
-----------------------

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010 »

Just you wait until I get a remix of this sorted with William Shatner on vocals ;D

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010 »

This may be the only full weekend off work before the actual event so I'm going to give last year's B class route a go to get a rough time for myself.  Packed my kit up there, and minus food and water it's coming in around 3.5kg!  Couldn't believe it - I'll be flying  8)

Got one of those Terra Nova Laser elite 20L packs in work for only £20 so couldn't say no (barely over 200g!)
Lidl tent 1kg
28" x 16.5" cut-down foam mat
Softie jungle bag

They're the main items.  No stove this time as I'm carrying the whole tent and the gas stove is too big. No waterproof trousers as it's summer.
Do have a dry layer for in the tent, a jacket, FAK, and toiletries.  Prob chuck in a book too as i'll be so fast i'll be sitting around all evening...

Food will prob be 2 packets of frankfurters, small block cheese, malt loaf, choc, nuts, dried fruit.

If my new small camera arrives in time, there will be a few photos.  I'll report back Sun eve or Mon.  If you are in the hills or near Bloody Bridge on Sat eve, feel free to say hello to the sweaty man in the crap tent  ;D
Craig
-----------------------

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010 »

For those I didn't see on Sat eve, this didn't go exactly to plan.  I kinda wrecked my hip shortly into the first day and that scuppered everything.  Think I pulled it at the climbing wall a few weeks ago and some hard contouring just flared it right up again.

Made it down to Ben Crom and over to Blue Lough.  Hobbled up the trail, scrambled the coachroad (for something to do) then ran down to Donard Wood to meet the guys for the overnighter.

The pack was awesome - I didn't know it was there except when I fell on my face and it tried to go over my head - although I did get very protective in Tollymore when there were branches and thorns about, 1 careless move and it's gone!  Final weight 5.7kg with 1.6kg of food and 600ml of water.

The Inov8 Terrocs seemed grippy and nimble on the descents, although my right heel doesnt sit quite right and blistered - may try their thinner insoles to drop it into the shoe more.

Food consisted of:
100g Chocolate, 200g Malt loaf, 230g cheese, 300g ham, 360g frankfurters, 140g beef & onion pie, 2 x protein bars

giving: 3800kcal, 206g protein, 267g carbs, 238g fat.  That's about my ideal split, but obviously didn't eat it all as I didn't do half the exercise  ;)

Got an email from a possible team mate - if I can convince him I won't be a total let down  :D
Craig
-----------------------

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010 »

Team mate found!  Met for a cuppa at lunch today to discuss.  Settled on C-class in the end due to my lack of experience of the event, but we'll be pushing for the upper echelons of the group... Chris, the (friendly) competition is on  ;)

I'm very excited now... it's happening!  Now to fix my leg and cram in the last 6 weeks training.
Craig
-----------------------

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]