Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: New Cedar Strip Canadian Canoe  (Read 11550 times)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
New Cedar Strip Canadian Canoe
« on: March 20, 2012 »

I met Alastair recently whilst getting some advice on restoring my Canadian Canoe and he mentioned that he had just completed one in Cedar Strip and it is currently for sale. 

If anyone is interested in getting their hands on a beautiful, unique, Cedar Strip hull for the new season please contact Alastair directly.

16ft long, water tight compartments at either end, two seats.

£1350 ono

A Word about the Builder
Based upon an Article written by Avril Torrens for the Newtownards Chronicle

End of an era
The final ship ever built at Harland and Wolff sailed out of Belfast last year, marking the end of the city's 150-year association with the industry. The company's famous cranes - Samson and Goliath - are still be used in ship conversions and repairs but never again will they witness a major vessel built from scratch.

Wooden boats
However, boat building is still going strong in their shadow over East Belfast - albeit on a very much smaller scale. Newtownards man Alastair Duffin of Duffin Marine is carrying on a family business that has been turning out beautifully, crafted wooden boats for the past 50 years at the Holywood Arches site.

Family Business
The firm was originally set up as a building company by Alastair's grandfather.  Alastair said: "My father had always wanted to join the Royal Navy but when his father died he had to take over the building firm along with his brother. I suppose building boats in his spare time was one way of making up for not being able to sail the world".
"My father was a very keen sailor and my brother used to crew for him but when he went off to the Navy I had to take over as crew. I enjoyed it, but my big interest was motorbikes."  As his father began to build more and more boats, Alastair's interest began grow and when he gave up motorbikes following an accident he became more involved in the company.

GP14
Originally constructing clinker-built boats, the company began to build GPl4s around 1962 and it was this design of boat that Alastair became most interested in.  He built his first GP14 when he was 22 and is still building them today.  Ideally suited as a family sailing dinghy or more commonly to racing, the class goes from strength to strength as their popularity continues to grow due to their versatility. Indeed, a large number of the boats racing in the UK and Ireland today have been built by Duffin Marine. And while GP14s are built to stringent guidelines set by the GP14 Class Association, each boat Alastair produces is unique. He uses different woods, veneers and inlays to create a product of which any furniture manufacturer would be proud.

Wood is best
GP14s are now available in almost maintenance-free GRP but these cannot compare to the wooden boats that Alistair produces. There is more work involved in maintaining a wooden boat but the handling and performance of a Duffin-built GP14 is second to none. Alastair added: "Glass boats lose their competitive edge after just two to three years but wooden boats can keep their competitiveness. I can think of at least two or three people in Ireland who have boats over 10-years-old that are still winning events and championships."

One-design
To date Alistair has built well over 150 GP14s and 11 of those form one of the biggest fleets in Ireland based at Newtownards Sailing Club.  The one-design nature of the craft means that the skill of the sailor plays a big part in who wins races and Alistair has proved himself to be a highly competent and competitive helm, winning many races and events over the years.

New Series 3
Alastair continually strives to improve on his boats and has been responsible for the majority of the alterations the GP14 has seen over the years.  He has just received final approval of his most recent designs that will see a new Series 3 GP14 being produced and sailed throughout the world.

Proud Tradition
Even if Belfast has lost its place in the world shipbuilding, Alastair Duffin will ensure that the city still has a boat tradition of which it can be proud. A Duffin Hull currently holds the World Title for GP14 racing.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012 by Dowser »
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

velvetmonkey

• Jr. Poster
Re: New Cedar Strip Canadian Canoe
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012 »

Hi Dowser,

The cedar strip looks amazing, I only wish I could afford it!

Picked up a second hand canoe myself at the start of the year and now at the stage of getting instruction.
Really enjoying it.
I think the biggest pull for me, will be the freedom the canoe will give me.
Looking forward to being able to load the canoe up and head off on a river trip with some beer, bushcraft and camping!

How's your restoration project coming on?

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012 »

Hi Dowser,

The cedar strip looks amazing, I only wish I could afford it!

Picked up a second hand canoe myself at the start of the year and now at the stage of getting instruction.
Really enjoying it.
I think the biggest pull for me, will be the freedom the canoe will give me.
Looking forward to being able to load the canoe up and head off on a river trip with some beer, bushcraft and camping!

How's your restoration project coming on?

I'm in the same boat, Boom Boom!!! If I could have afforded it I wouldn't have been up to my eye's in Fibreglass for the best part of the winter.  that said though I have really enjoyed restoring mine and I'm just days away from completion.  Just to paint the Hull, inside and out, which should really only take about 3 hours.

Can't wait to get out and about on Strangford... Reckoning my first launch will be in the middle of April  :)
See the View

velvetmonkey

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012 »

Good luck with the madien voyage!

Give us a shout later in the year - wouldn't mind hooking up for a canoe journey round some of the islands

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012 »

Good luck with the madien voyage!

Give us a shout later in the year - wouldn't mind hooking up for a canoe journey round some of the islands

Thanks VM,  Definitely keen on a bit of island hopping on the lough.  We could maybe get ourselves a convoy  ;)
See the View

Savage Parrot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012 »

I have fallen head over heals for this canoe, it's absolutley stunning.  I am hoping to buy a second hand open boat this summer do if there is any island hoping I would be glad to join if your willing!!

velvetmonkey

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012 »

Absolutely, the more the merrier

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]