Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Short Weekend In Binevenagh  (Read 5368 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Short Weekend In Binevenagh
« on: February 21, 2012 »

Figured I would throw up a few pics from last weekend up in Binevenagh, being the closest woodland area of resonable size to me I decided back in January to find a nice spot I can setup a perment shelter and do all my 1-3 day trips to.

Arrived early Saturday morning and spent most of the daytime walking around the forest looking for possible locations, both close to fast running water (never been a great fan of purifying when you can find clean), and out of the way of the foot paths as much as possible.

Finally I had to make a compromise by being very close to a path as nowhere else fitted the more important criteria. So here became "home"

Here's a closer view of the area I cleard out for the tent for the first night, had to dig out a fair few boulders, and dig out a level surface as the only good level spot has to be kept for the main shelter.

Spent the rest of that day having a nosey about the area gathering plenty of wood for the weekend and water etc, so didn't stop until dark. Next morning first order of the day was get a small fire on the go to get the bread made ready for lunch.

Here is a shot towards the path to see just how close it is, the fallen tree sit right on the path edge, and i'm standing pretty much next to the fire at this point.

From the path the camp site is easily seen when there is a fire going, hopefully this will be masked by the shelter though.

With the bread all setup and baking I got on with hunting down fallen wood to use for the shelter frame. Also this is the first time out I have used this pouch for food, It's a plce medic pouch, I already use one for a medical/wash kit holder but realised with all its sections and such it would make a perfect food carrier. It performs great in this role as you can happily take all the things you might not do normally, no simple burnt beans and runny soup now as I can take all the things for decent filling tasty food.

With lunch out of the way I made a start on the frame, going for a fairly round house style with an opening at the roof, there will be space for two beds (one I have already layed down a log for a marker), and a storage space for both gear and wood. I've made plenty of small basha style shelters in the past and while snug and warm I always wondered how long they could honestly stand up for with regular use, with this in mind I figured instead of just laying branches down I would lash them.
While this is going to be a year long shelter I also want it 100% degradable so had to go on a foraging mission for cordage. Luckily the ground there is covered in ivy, and most of it in very long branches easily pulled up. Also handy was the root stems on the ground are supple enough to use as standard string with normal hitches and knots. How well they will hold up over time I don't know, but my hope is that as the roots are intact they will graft onto the poles and uprights and continue to grow, both tightening the lash and helping the overal camoflage.

Sadly work blues were less than 18 hours away by this stage and I had a good hour hike back to the car so had to start packing the gear up and hope no eegits spot and wreck things, or that my lashing are as good as I think they are incase of bad weather. Took a quick snap from the path as I left and noticed the frame does have an odd blair witch style about it, so perhaps it might spook folk into staying away at least until I can get a good covering of leaves and such.

So with abit of luck this weekend it will still be standing and in good order (maybe the ivy will have even begun to help), and I can get on with putting on the thatch, then it can at least be lived in while I get the beds made and the storage area sorted. Hopefully another 3 weekends out and i'll have it all done ready for a year of trips away without having to worry about tent pitching or any of the usual faf that takes time away from enjoying the woods.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
Re: Short Weekend In Binevenagh
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012 »

A really interesting read Rich.  I've not got in to any bushcraft-type activities.  I'll admit to coming across some shelters and the like and thinking it all seems like an awful lot of effort for the benefit gained. 

I can however completely understand and see the benefit of your project though  The longevity of it makes sense.  It is just a shame that you weren't able to find somewhere hidden from the path, I hope that doesn't draw any unwanted attention.  I wondered if you had any other options to make some other structure closer to the path to give some additional screening to your shelter beyond.

It'll be interesting to hear how you are getting on further down the line.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012 »

We've been talking about doing something like this for ages, it's a great idea. I know it's closeish to the path but how well traveled is the area?

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012 »

We've been talking about doing something like this for ages, it's a great idea. I know it's closeish to the path but how well traveled is the area?

The path i'm near isn't one of the main stone ones that are part of the nature walks and such. Most of it's use is from bikes/horses and at least one old boy who walks up there each day and back. Spotted me making breakfast and came over for a chat, was nice to actually have a pleasent human being for a change who has a geniune interest in what your doing instead of the usual responses you get of folk thinking your out to go native.

In the 38 or so hours I was there my total sightings included as follows:
1 chap out for a walk who stopped for a chat then went off on his way wishing me well.
1 girl on a mountain bike who sailed on passed paying more attention to the path and her wheels than anything else.
2 guys on motorbikes doing the same as above.

The fact the bikes and horses use the path means it is quite muddy which i'm guessing tends to put off your adverage walker who would rather stick to the stone walkways instead.

Once the shelter is up properly and such I'm more than happy to meet up with one or two folk to head out there for a few days of bushy things.

collie

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012 »

Hi there from a limavady man close by!! Ithink I know where its at so i'll pop by/ keep an eye out. Best of luck and will maybe see you up there?
Eugene

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012 »

Do you think it would be a idea to put this in the members only section?
No one goes inside to clear their head

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]