Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mourne-watch!  (Read 9428 times)

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
Mourne-watch!
« on: July 12, 2012 »

Hi,

I have been planning another walk of the Mourne Wall over the summer but haven't had the chance up to now.

Just wondering what state the mountains are in at the moment after all the rain? Particularly interested in hearing what condition the stretch between Silent Valley up to Slievenaglogh and Muck is in as well as the stretch along the wall from below Donard (bog of Donard) down to Long Seefin.

If anyone has been up that way recently and knows what way the ground is, I'd appreciate the info.

Paul

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: Mourne-watch!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012 »

Generally everywheres saturated so avoid normally boggy areas is the best advice I can give,The area around slievenaglough can be walked by keeping to high ground,the trek & indeed the wall running form round seefin is generally on high ground & it's only as you near Donard col that it becomes boggy,but that's why it's called the bog of Donard :). Lol

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012 »

just walk on the wall   8)
think outside, no box required

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012 »

Mourneman,

Thanks for that. Looking like it'll be a couple of weeks before I get up there so fingers-crossed, the weather will pick up.

Liam, I tried that walking on the wall lark climbing Donard before but wimped out!

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012 »

The wall on long seefin is perfect for walking on,huge granite capstones on top,best part of the mourne wall

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012 »

i do like heights but must admit i hate walking on the wall, just doesn't feel safe
think outside, no box required

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012 »

Must have a try at walking the part down to Long Seefin. Last time I done it, I don't think the ground was too bad around there and seem to remember a path that I attempted to jog along (not a pretty sight).

Walk put off a couple of weeks so hopefully there will be an improvement in the weather. Anyone else done any longer walks this year?

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012 »

The wall gets reaaaaaaaaally high along that section, well walkable but takes a lot of concentration.

Paul there have been a few longer trips this year, groups have walked the Mourne Way and the Moyle Way.  You'll find some trip reports on the search facility.  There is also talk of a trip down to do the 12 Bens. 
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012 »

Here's some photo's from the wall around long seefin

DSCN3789 by cue13, on Flickr

DSCN3787 by cue13, on Flickr

DSCN3785 by cue13, on Flickr

clav

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012 »

mourneman, how did you find that stretch? by the time i got to the bottom of rocky mountain ,i had to get off it as i was gettin bloody vertigo !!! all the same it certainly kept our boots dry!!!(i mistakenly took my daughter an niece, who hate 1. walking, 2. outdoors, 3. old men who take them walking outdoors !!)

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012 »

The wall gets reaaaaaaaaally high along that section, well walkable but takes a lot of concentration.

Paul there have been a few longer trips this year, groups have walked the Mourne Way and the Moyle Way.  You'll find some trip reports on the search facility.  There is also talk of a trip down to do the 12 Bens.

Good stuff. I'll look up the reports - I'm not familiar with the Mourne Way. The 12 Bens is a walk I've wanted to do for some time myself, looks like it would be a great challenge.

fatty-arbuckle

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012 »

Walking on the wall is a well deserved rest. We did the complete wall over two days - overnighted on Binnian.

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012 »

Looks like I'll try the walk on Sunday. Early forecast indicates cooler weather and mostly dry.

Done it in 10 hours 43 minutes last time out and would like to try and beat that. However, last time out I was doing quite a bit of hill-walking but this year I've done only a couple of short walks but have done a fair bit of running and some hill running - not sure how compatible the running will be to hill-walking.

If anyone is up in the area, would appreciate if you let me know what way the ground is. Planning on wearing trail runners - will try and keep the feet dry for as long as I can but inevitably will get wet!

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012 »

Bag packed for tomorrow. If anyone has been up that way over the last few days, let me know how the ground is..

Hopefully the weather gods won't be too hard on me!

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012 »

Done the Mourne Wall Walk yesterday - took 9hrs 27 minutes to complete.

Bog on the way up to Slievenaglogh wasn't too bad.

I tried walking along the wall which wasn't the best idea given that it's only really a loose bundle of stacked stones on that stretch. Ended up falling off into a big puddle of mud.

Stretch down along the Bog of Donard wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be - only real problem were a few midges who braved the cooler weather.

Best part of the day was refilling my reservoir from the water pipe on Commedagh - no idea where that water comes from but it tasted fantastic yesterday.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]