Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Hiking Boots for Women  (Read 4951 times)

BrianT

• Newbie Poster
Hiking Boots for Women
« on: April 10, 2012 »

Could anyone reccommend a hiking boot ( 3 season) that would be a good option for a ladies size 4 with a narrow foot.She has tried Berghaus and Regatta both of which have been too wide .I have read that ASOLO are quite narrow fitting but She hasn't tried those.If I can find a good option the price wouldn't matter especially if it means the difference in a good day in the Hills as opposed to suffering !
Brian

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Hiking Boots for Women
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012 »

I have a pair of brasher that have done me for several years and are extremely comfortable. I would highly recommend them.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

BrianT

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012 »

Are they all leather,goretex etc. or do Brasher make Hybrids as well.I hadn't considered them so thanks I will have a look .
Brian

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012 »

Mine are leather, not sure about the hybrids, you could check their website.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Pudd

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012 »

BrianT what I will recommend isn't any brands or anything like that. 

I'd recommend taking your lady friend into either Tiso or Cotswold and letting her try on all of the boots in her price range.  Especially since the boots will get some wear and tear, and being the most important part of your body when out on the hills it really does pay to let the feet choose the boots.

Another bit of advice - do not buy online.  As what might fit in the store, might not fit when you buy the exactly same product online.

Go to Cotswold/Tiso, try all of the boots in the price range, plus slightly more as this will give a good comparison of boots, and how they fit.  And make sure she walks around in store with them on for a long time, as any gripes could potentially arise then.  At least that way, any issue can be spotted early, and returned there and then.

Also, when she gets them home make sure she wears them around the house as this will further break the boot in.  If the boot in any way touches concrete you'll unfortunately be unable to bring the boot back.

Make sure you get a decent pair of socks too!  Any of the Bridgedale socks are brilliant.  Comfy and do not cause blisters, and a lot about foot wear is the socks you wear - you could have the best boots, naff socks and get blisters.
I once used a pair of 1000 mile socks in my boots (which I had never had any problems with using a pair of Bridgedale socks), I encountered blisters on both feet.   

Bearing in mind Cotswold do a price match so if you do find it cheaper online, go in and they'll sell you the boots for the same price.   ;)
The only downside to going outdoors is having to come back inside.

BrianT

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012 »

Thanks Pudd,
I had intended doing exactly that.I find the staff in Cotswolds brilliant.I bought  a jacket in there a few months back and got £60 off with an internet price match.
I couldn't agree more about the socks.
I walked the Mourne way ,all 41 kms a couple of weeks ago in 10 hours and suffered with blisters half way around ( luckily I had compeed and fresh socks ) all because I wore a lighter pair of boots than my normal  pair. I had already worn these on a couple of 11 km walks with no problems but I think the extra miles on forest track and tarmac rather than mountain caught me out.I also should have been wearing a lighter inner sock along with my regular merino wool pair,to try and prevent blisters.
Its an experience I won't forget in a hurry!
Where is Tiso ?
Brian

Pudd

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012 »

12-14 Corn Market  Belfast, BT1 4DD

http://g.co/maps/vbr7k
The only downside to going outdoors is having to come back inside.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012 »

When it comes to boots British brands generally tend to have a more spacious fitting.  I believe this is because UK & Ireland citizens tend to have a broader foot than our continental neighbours, so the last tends to be more generous.  My better half needed a broader fitting boot - Brasher were perfect.  If you need a narrower fit then check out Scarpa, Salomon, La Sportiva, Asolo - basically anything French or Italian!

Pudd has given some good advice about boot fitting which is well worth keeping in mind.  I've found in some outdoors stores you need to specifically ask to have your feet measured and they don't always voluntarily offer fitting advice.  You will know a well educated sales person pretty quickly!  That said, I've also had the experience of a sales person measuring my feet and insisting that a size 10 pair I was trying on HAD to fit my feet as they were measured as a size 10... didn't seem to realise that not all sizes 10's are equal ::)

Don't forget to check out Jackson Sports and Surf Mountain.  I've had very positive boot/trail shoe buying experiences from both these stores!

Oh, and just to reiterate Pudd's advice - take the boots home, wear them around the house.  If its a relief when they are taken off, take them back to the store :)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]