Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Recording Garmin Data onto computer map  (Read 7339 times)

blokarter

Recording Garmin Data onto computer map
« on: July 22, 2010 »

I am using a Garmin Foretrex 201 which I have eventually managed to get to talk to my PC.

Now I can do this I would like to keep a record of walks plotted onto maps.
I would be interested in including the data such as Distance, elevation etc.

Has anyone got any experience of which software is best for this?

ChuckMcB

Re: Recording Garmin Data onto computer map
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010 »

Sounds like you want to do what I do with my wee GPS tracker: export the route as a .gpx file then import the .gpx file into a mapping app.

mapyx.com is the one a couple of us here use. (example map - example route profile)

If the garmin PC app doesn't do the export (it's best  to keep the .gpx files for a back up) Mapyx.com does an import directly from a Garmin device (not played with that myself, but J has a Garmin and could confirm...saying that the main mapping appis free to download to test..).

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010 »

Assuming you can get it working with a PC Google Earth should be able to import. Can you use it with Garmins own Mapsource software>

blokarter

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010 »

Thnks for the help guys.

J - Tried Google earth already , it shows the overlay of the routh but not much else. Mapsource seems very expensive. I don't remember ever getting a disc with my foretrex.

As I am trying to keep a record of routes & how we improve our speed etc. over time I think the mapyx looks interesting. The examples supplied by Chuck are what I am looking for. The example route profile contains good detail.

I will download the software @ mapyx.com and see how it goes.
I will keep you posted.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010 »

I'd give Mapyx a thumbs up too. The 1:50k entire NI map is great value for money @ £45 considering buying the paper versions are £6 each.
Never know, we might be able to squeeze some discount out of them if you're thinking of buying.

blokarter

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010 »

The Foretrex only seems to run on the Garmin mapping software.
There is no colour screen to view maps on. Not sure if I would need to buy this at all.

Do I need it to use the maptx sofrware on the computer with the garmin data?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010 »

As I understand it there's a standard Garmin format so any software capable of working with any Garmin should work with any unit that is PC connection capable. The fact that you have been able to get data into Google Earth suggests that any other software that can import Garmin data will work fine. Should add the disclaimer I've only used a Garmin HCX and I'm surmising the rest :)

Mapyx is map software to the PC only - it can't send maps to Garmin GPS units anyway.

If you want to email me one of your Garmin files I can import it into Mapyx and see what happens.

There is no colour screen to view maps on. Not sure if I would need to buy this at all.

Do I need it to use the maptx sofrware on the computer with the garmin data?

ChuckMcB

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010 »

Yup, I've played this game with my Dad's garmin. Garmin have locked down their units to use only their mapping software for sending maps to the unit. I had to use the open source mapping software described in the above link to give me NI coverage....but you may hit problems according to their wiki....but that should not stop you exporting the route from your unit.

Never know, we might be able to squeeze some discount out of them if you're thinking of buying.
Sign up as an affiliate, gives you 10% off whatever is purchased using the link. Should be some way of putting together a NI-Wild kick-back-kitty.

Meanwhile feel free to use this link to sign up and by a map...I'll repay in mars bars.... ;D

blokarter

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010 »

If you want to email me one of your Garmin files I can import it into Mapyx and see what happens.

Thanks, I might take you up on that.

Chuck - I only plan to export the data from the fortrex to the PC so mapyx should work ok. If ig gives me the data results like you showed earlier it will keep me happy. I only want to compare the results to see if we are moving faster or slower than previous walks on the same route. The additional elevation data would be more for interest (i an nosey)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010 »

That brings up an interesting question. My Garmin does record date/time of each point on the route but I have no way to see the time plotted in any way so I could see speed on sections etc.

blokarter

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010 »

I am not sure at all. I have only obtained basic overlays from the history of the foretrex so far.
Maybe what I am looking for isn't possible.

We have done a route from Bloody Bridge to the wall above the Bog Of Donard then contoured around Donard to the sadle at the top of the Glen , down the river path to the carpark and back on the road to Bloody Bridge. We have done this a few times but times vary by about 30 minutes & it would be interesting to see where the slower sections are.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010 »

In Mapyx, import the gpx file....right click and covert to Waypoint Set then if you hover over each way point you will (should) see the speed listed. Example attached.

For a free version of the same thing head to this site:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input

load in your gpx file....select "Speed" in the Track options section....it colours the track by the speed you were doing on that section....

Update: with Mapyx you can print out a route card with all the speeds listed....but if you have your GPS set to log regularly there is going to be a heck of a lot of data there..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010 by Chuck »

blokarter

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010 »

but if you have your GPS set to log regularly there is going to be a heck of a lot of data there..

Tell me about it.
It would appear I have no routes saved but hundreds of logs. It was a laugh to see the log info for Benone beach where I use it for blokarting too.

blokarter

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010 »

Thanks for all the help and advice guys.

I have downloaded the mapyx software tonight which is great.

Looks like I will need to buy the maps for it to produce the best results.

I will keep you posted as I progress..

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]