Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Ray Mears at the Ulster Hall: November 01, 2010
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Ray Mears in the Ulster Hall Nov 1  (Read 31977 times)

bill2rhino

• Newbie Poster
Re: Ray Mears in the Ulster Hall Nov 1
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2010 »

Fair dues people.... maybe it was a let down to me because I had expectations of how things would be and not knowing Brian Black (I admit I turn the channel over when he comes on) nor what subjects or format the evening would take, I still feel it should have been billed as an evening with Blacky and Mearso!

Still an avid fan though and glad others found it insightful and maybe the next time he comes I will too.

I was busting to ask would he consider becoming the next Chief Scout!

simon

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
    • Northern Focus
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2010 »

Here's my take on the night http://www.northern-focus.com/blog/ray-mears-at-the-ulster-hall/ - hard to get down all my thoughts about what I heard and string it together in a coherent fashion, but there you go!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2010 »

Enjoyed the review Simon, nearly wish i'd gone now (but it was a bit pricey)
think outside, no box required

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2010 »

Where you sitting towards the front of the gallery on the left hand side?

I was - blue icebreaker with red/white down sleeve, goatee, looking wrecked  :)
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2010 »

I was directly opposite you, blue jeans, blue fleece top and looking serious!
"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2010 »

Serious thinking, or serious scary?  I will be polite either way when we meet  :)
Craig
-----------------------

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2010 »

Thought that goatee looked familiar last night at Tollymore,  def need some ni-wild merchandise, its either that or pink carnations next time  ;D
think outside, no box required

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2010 »

Serious thinking, or serious scary?  I will be polite either way when we meet  :)

Serious thinking, absorbing every word Uncle Ray said! 
Serious scary?  I'll let others decide on that!  :D
"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2010 »

Here's my take on the night http://www.northern-focus.com/blog/ray-mears-at-the-ulster-hall/ - hard to get down all my thoughts about what I heard and string it together in a coherent fashion, but there you go!

Nice review Simon - very well covered.

I think I should clarify some of what I said as I got a feel from the comments it was misleading.
Falling asleep - this was mainly the fan noise from the large projector (fans put me right out) and being tired, but the programme didn't flow well and I hadn't settled into the format so I did 'tune out' pretty easily...not a problem in the 2nd half as mentioned.
Mystic - I don't have a problem with the spirit songs, etc.  I understand the vital role these things played in passing down/accessing knowledge and keeping cultures alive... it was more the remarks about dowsing, or the feeling Brian was pushing for some validation of 'magical' elements.  I know there are very subtle skills and intuitions that develop from spending time outdoors but at 1st it verged on pushing beyond that which doesn't interest me.

I'm probably too young to remember the bushcraft shows that well - to me they're always about the people (native or explorers) and the wildlife:  It was brilliant later on when he opened up and the anecdotes and discussion started.  My bad; sometimes we need to see what we've written from someone else's mocassins to know if we've expressed sufficiently!  ;D
Craig
-----------------------

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2010 »

Thought that goatee looked familiar last night at Tollymore,  def need some ni-wild merchandise, its either that or pink carnations next time  ;D

Pink snowshoes!!!  ;D
Craig
-----------------------

simon

• Top Poster
    • Northern Focus
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2010 »

Nice review Simon - very well covered.

I think I should clarify some of what I said as I got a feel from the comments it was misleading.
Falling asleep - this was mainly the fan noise from the large projector (fans put me right out) and being tired, but the programme didn't flow well and I hadn't settled into the format so I did 'tune out' pretty easily...not a problem in the 2nd half as mentioned.
Mystic - I don't have a problem with the spirit songs, etc.  I understand the vital role these things played in passing down/accessing knowledge and keeping cultures alive... it was more the remarks about dowsing, or the feeling Brian was pushing for some validation of 'magical' elements.  I know there are very subtle skills and intuitions that develop from spending time outdoors but at 1st it verged on pushing beyond that which doesn't interest me.

I'm probably too young to remember the bushcraft shows that well - to me they're always about the people (native or explorers) and the wildlife:  It was brilliant later on when he opened up and the anecdotes and discussion started.  My bad; sometimes we need to see what we've written from someone else's mocassins to know if we've expressed sufficiently!  ;D

Cheers Craig :0)

I had to read this thread to understand where you were coming from on the mystic thing and I agree entirely. The comment about "placing a rock in a particular place to divert the flow of the underground water" riled me and I refer you to this gem which summarises things nicely:

Now, although I am happy to roundly denounce dowsing I (like you) don't have a problem with the song lines - to me it sounds much like a form of oral history. What I am prepared to buy into is the idea that by letting go of all the distractions that your mind becomes clearer and you start to understand the signs around you. Tracking would be a good example of this - it might seem magical to the uninitiated, but in reality it is just tuning in to the subtle signs and understanding the nature of the animal that is being tracked.

As for the falling asleep thing - hey we covered that one on Facebook right ;-)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2010 »

Without wanting to threadjack, this is a topic I'm generally extremely interested in. Anyone who wants more info can check out the following links to a couple of excellent blogs/podcasts on the skepticism movement. (They're the ones I listen to / read the most but by no means the only ones)

http://www.theskepticsguide.org/
http://skeptoid.com/

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2010 »

Yeah, I just realised if people were looking for reviews and found this thread I should clarify.

mmm "relativity" sounds like a nice pasta sauce... I'm thinking there has to be tuna and salami in there, garlic, oregano, sieved tomatoes, half a yellow pepper and half a red onion (both roasted 1st), then drizzled with ceasar dressing.  Yes... that might work  8)
Craig
-----------------------

Sawyer

• Newbie Poster
    • NI Outdoor blog
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2010 »

Interesting to read everyone's opinion. I was pretty happy with the show although would perhaps have preferred a different format where there was more direct interaction with the audience. But hey can't please all the people all the time and BB done an admirable job imo.

My only beef was Ray's comment about Ed Wardle carrying a rifle for protection from the bears in alone in the wild! Thought that was a bit unfair!

Oh yeah and great to meet Lenny, 20clicks and Gregory.

Sawyer

• Newbie Poster
    • NI Outdoor blog
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2010 »

Great review Simon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]