Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Feasts,down pours & rescue's  (Read 25782 times)

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Feasts,down pours & rescue's
« on: August 18, 2012 »

Thursday was one of those days,that's the only way to start!
                                                                                                                         Ed,Rusty & myself had been planning a Circular trek in the inner Mournes hoping to take in the Devils coacroad,the Shelter stone & Ben Crom reserve.It was an early start to the day with me catching the 7.15 bus to Newcastle,ed & rusty would be meeting me in Newcastle.

With some time to kill I got some coffee  & availed of some free hot water for my instant porridge,the views along Newcastle promenade are excellent

Panorama457 by jimmysurg, on Flickr
With some time to kill I got some coffee  & availed of some free hot water for my instant porridge,the views along Newcastle promenade are excellent

With rusty & ed now arrived in Newcastle we made our way along the main street towards Donard park,I've always disliked the Glen river path,so we used the other trek through the woods just past the YMCA,reaching the second bridge we noticed lots of forestry work going on,again we turned into the woods taking the inner trial towards the last bridge.

Now onto the trek  & past the Ice-house,our pace was quite good & we reached the ascent to saddle,stopping to catch our breath & take in some views.The weather was cloudy,humid,with forecasted rain later in the day we were hoping to by back on the saddle for around  three or four o'clock.

3 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

4 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

5 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

6 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

7 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

Reaching the Commedagh,Donard col we stopped  for food in true "Hobbit" style,sausage,bacon,mushrooms,having filled our guts we crossed over the stile hooking onto the Brandy Pad.

After a while we turned onto the trail leading onto Beg so the guys could  have a look down the Devils coachroad,also a good chance to get the Slieve Beg summit geocache.

8 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

9 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

10 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

11 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

We descended slieve Beg into Annalong valley along a gorge,it was at this pont Rusty got a call & needed to get home a.sa.p,so we decided to walk him over to the Carricklittle trek we're he got the Mourne rambler bus to Newcastle.

12 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

13 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

14 by jimmysurg, on Flickr
Another wee check on the weather,overcast but slightly colder,reaching Blue lough we stopped again for some steaks & coffee.with our bellies full again we crossed over the Binnian,Lamagan col dropping down the steep descent onto Ben Crom reserve,with the first drops of rain hitting us as stepped onto the trial to the Shelter stone,the trek itself was much better the the one on the other bank i took last week.

15 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

17 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

18 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

20 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

On an OS 125 it shows a trek running from  Ben Crom reserve back onto the Brandy pad, " it's not there "well nothing more that a broken goat trek,at this point the rain really started to pour down something serious,with some severe scree slope on the Kileel we decided to ascend to avoid the danger.

We were not faced with another obstacle the swollen Kikeel river,our ideal crossing point was a "no-go" so we continued along its bank searching for a crossing point,the pace was slow having to manevoer over boulders,finally we found a spot to cross,I went first with ed just behind me.

21 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

22 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

We started the steep ascent towards the Brandy pad & it was great to be on a well trotted trek,earlier in the day we had passed a few spots on the Brandy pad where the scree breaks the path & it now concerned, me as to how much water was flowing down it,reaching this point my fears were now a reality,with
Some carefully placed footing we crossed the first hazard.

Now reaching the castles of Commedagh we reached into Eds pack for our head torches in the failing light,"they were gone " we must have lost them crossing one of the rivers,at this point alarms bells started to ring,it was getting dark,we still had water to cross,& very steep ground to descent without torches.

23 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

Questions & answers were rattling around my head,can we descent without torches,what waters still need crossed,how late are we now from checking in,should we start to contact folk?At this point the wind began to increase
With visiability now down to around 8 feet I decided to make the call !

Making a decision like that's never easy,pride plays a lot on you're mind,it's embarrassing having to ask for help,admitting you need assistance,but with serious risk of hypothermia I swallowed my pride & dialled 999 !

26 by jimmysurg, on Flickr

27 by jimmysurg, on Flickr
ed at my folk's house 1am,of course we needed a feed
Dialling 999 for assistance can be one of the toughest decisions you'll ever make in the Mountains but rest assured it can and does save lives. Prompt decisive action can get you the help you need preventing a situation getting unnecessarily worse and ensuring the best possible outcome for all involved. Mountain Rescue Teams and ourselves in particular would never criticise someone for requesting assistance when in any doubt whatsoever, on their part or on the part of someone else. We would like to say 'Well Done' to those who do take such action to call. Dial 999 and ask for the 'MOURNE MOUNTAIN RESCUE TEAM', on call 24/7

taken from the MMRT facebook

I spoke to the operator detailing our grid reference,& our concerns,minutes later we received a call from the MMRT ,we again pasted on all our details & concerns,after again giving a fresh grid reference we we told to sit tight & wait for help,the weather now was very severe with lashing rain & gale force winds,its strange how quickly the body temperature drops when you’re not walking ,at this point I remembered how ‘Bear’raise’s his body temperature so I started star jumps,lol,anyway it really worked,after some time we seen a glare through the hill fog below us,it was he MMRT,& with a ‘whoosh’ two flares lit up the valley in front of us !

We watched as the team got closer, the whole time my mind thinking,”bet Liam’s on of the first guy’s up “ now reacing us I was somewhat delighted not to see his face!The first two runners to reach us messaged back to the rest of the team that we had been located & we both uninjured,next word’s I heard were, “alright john “ ahhh it was Liam & I would never live it down!Sorry mate but I was really gald to see you,but it seems when I slagged off it never stop’s !

We were instructed to put our wet gloves & hats back on as these would heat up as we walked back down,I was given a head torch & marty the team leader asked me to start descenting with two MMRT members,reaching the bottom of the Saddle we were faced with a swollen stream crossing which needed some careful footing to cross,with Ed behind with other team members I ventured along the trek with the raging Glen river beside me,reaching the forest trek I rested in the landrover
Chatting with some friendly team members,soon after Ed arrived & we drove along the road to awaiting car at Donard park.

I’d just like to say that you very much to the Mourne rescue team,sixteen members came out last night in storm conditions to help us,they braved dangerous waters & gale force winds to help guide us off the mountain safety!

In reflection I stand by my decision,I had a judgement to make,not only for myself but for the safety of us both,with the loss of our torches & the swollen rivers descending would have been very dangerous,yes mistakes we’re made we could have joined Rusty down the Carricklittle trek or turned left onto the Brandy pad towards the easier choice Hare’s Gap &  the Trassey trek, hindsight is a wonderful thing,it’s easy to sit behind a computer or in an armchair thinking about what should have been done or what you would have done !

At  6.30 am yesterday morning the forecast was hill fog,with the threat of heavy showers towards the evening,not unlike any other day I’ve spent in the hills,yesterdays  weather was the most extreme I’ve ever experienced.

Again many thanks to the brave Men & Women in the MMRT.

here's some footage earlier in the day

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012 by Mourneman »

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
Re: Feasts,down pours & rescue's
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012 »

Sorry had to bail early again boys: although as luck would have it I seemed to have left at an opportune moment  ::) Part of me wishes I had of been there for the adventure of the rescue part.
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

Shan Doan

• Newbie Poster
    • Shan Doan Videos
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012 »

Sobering stuff and plenty for us all to think about. Problems can quickly stack up in the mountains. Makes you think.

Glad you made the right decision and you made it back safe. Will watch your video now too.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012 by Shan Doan »

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012 »

thanks for that Shan Doan,but i still feel very embarrassed about the whole thing  ::) was it the right choice, got some comfort from the message on MMRT facebook page.

Mourne Mountain Rescue Team
20 hours ago
Dialling 999 for assistance can be one of the toughest decisions you'll ever make in the Mountains but rest assured it can and does save lives. Prompt decisive action can get you the help you need preventing a situation getting unnecessarily worse and ensuring the best possible outcome for all involved. Mountain Rescue Teams and ourselves in particular would never criticise someone for requesting assistance when in any doubt whatsoever, on their part or on the part of someone else. We would like to say 'Well Done' to those who do take such action to call. Dial 999 and ask for the 'MOURNE MOUNTAIN RESCUE TEAM', on call 24/7

also i should have been carrying an emergency bothy,one of the MMRT works for LIFE & has offered a discount to any NI-WILD members,here the link

http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/

many thanks again to Liam & the whole MMRT for helping us  :o :o i think i'am in for some SH1T over this one,also note to self,make sure i've Liam on -speed dial  ;D

Shan Doan

• Newbie Poster
    • Shan Doan Videos
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012 »

I understand where you're coming from mate.

In my opinion, I think your post was helpful. Experienced walkers/climbers can head out with the right gear and a good knowledge of the area but things can still snowball. So this kind of thing sobers us all up.

You can't really say what might have happened if you hadn't made that call. Things could have turned a lot worse, but you didn't take that chance. Better safe than sorry, etc.

wee gaz

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012 »

sorry i seem to have totally missed part of this thread john .what happened

fatty-arbuckle

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012 »

Anybody can find themselves in a sticky situation - its what they do from that point on decides the outcome.

Good call

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012 »

Hey Mourneman, glad to see you are ok. but could I surggest you put the original post back on and just explain how you cam e to call MRT.

The reason I ask this is not to embarras you but to show other how easy iot is to find yourself in that situation. I am a strong beliver that you should learn by the mistakes of others as you dont have time to learn them all yourself.

Thanks
No one goes inside to clear their head

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012 »

Totally understand how you might find it personally embarrassing but it's totally not, could have happened to any one of us and anyone who's spent any decent time in the Mournes knows how quickly things can change. Definitely better safe than sorry, the gutsy decision is getting some help, not risking lives feeling you have to prove something!

Me and Dowser had a night round the fire in Donard Wood a while back. At 1am we were sitting around the fire in baselayers on a still clear night, by 11am the next morning this was the Glen River Path (not the river, the path that runs through the forest). We were ankle deep all the way down, was completely nuts.

sorry folks,removed thread body ??? just too embarrassing

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012 »

Sorry to hear about your incident but I think you should put it back up as a lot of people might learn form it. Not knowing what happened, I hope all is well after it and that there are no injuries. You shou;dn't be embarrassed. All the best.

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012 »

Here is a rescue that i was involved with in Jan 2011. One of the guys who was not properly dressed for the hills, hurt his ankle and MMRT were called and the Helicpoter was also called in but they could not winch a man down because of the conditions.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012 by Daithi2004 »

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012 »

thread back in place  :o

Daithi2004

• Top Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012 »

Well written, Mourneman. It was an  experience, I am sure. Good call to ring them. Glad everyone got down safely.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012 »

A few months ago I was up on Binnian when the wind was really fierce, I basically crawled the whole way from the summit to the col with Lamagan.  Since then I have thought about it wondering if that was really necessary, or how embarrassed I may have felt if I had met someone walking towards me. 

But the bottom line is that it is about the decisions you make at the time and in the circumstances.  I felt vulnerable at the time and did wonder if I was going to make it down on my own.  I made the right decision to protect myself.

Don't think about it too much now Mourneman, you are an experienced walker and you made a rational decision based on the conditions you were encountering.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

chink1211

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012 »

It was real bad a freind an i stayd on the top of the north tor on fri night and holly good s-@t it was horendous we actually tied the tent to the wall cuz it was like a parachute , but sat made up for it we watched the silvery grey clouds slide down the mountains to an absolute scorcher of a day we then headed to cove cave via devils coachroad an camped sat in annalong vally .
enjoy it while you can
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]