Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Oisin + Grace in heavy rain ;)  (Read 14082 times)

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
Re: Oisin + Grace in heavy rain ;)
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011 »

Thanks for all the info guys :) its on and off at the minute. Due to getting here late and not getting a good spot a hill is behind us. Rain has created a swap below our tent. So when I went to put the chair outside it sank into it. Still having fun though. Just remember when cooking sausages in rain stay back from it. Rain drops into hot oil. Big fire explosion nearly leaving me with no eyebrows. Lol. - grace
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011 »

Was a wet day all right.  We had a crowd of mates up the Mournes today.

Started off ok at the Cecil Newman, but quickly went downhill (as we went uphill :D).

Keep smiling.

The wind and rain on Slieve Bearnagh was so bad it was hard to stand up and felt like hail stones against your face.  Loved every minute of it though.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011 »

i was in the meelmore area yesterday as well, you probably passed me, weather was so bad we had to have lunch in a bothy bag, must invest in my own some day, they are great 
think outside, no box required

Grace.

• Top Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011 »

We are back home and dry. Shortly after posting yesterday we found out the cooker had got to wet and wouldn't light. So soaked I wasnt pleased at the idea of no cups of tea or coffee. Sort of got it working in the morning just before we left though. Tent held out well was a great weekend to test it against the weather. Packed away easy. Anyway we are off to rest, my little airbed decided to let all the air out both nights. I'm guessing its got a hole so might need to buy a new one whether or not if I find the hole.

Pictures of tent and what not up later.

Grace&Oisin. (:

VMCC

• Top Poster
    • Northern Ireland Camping Forum
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011 »

I really hope it didn't put you off. It was a bad weekend for camping unfortunately. I could have gone but chose not to in the end.

I would have said that Self Inflating mats are warmer than airbeds anyway. Lidl did some 5cm ones a couple of weeks ago, and my local Lidl had three left the other day. They're heavy though. For backpacking you'd probably use the thin roll mats instead. The airbeds get cold from the cold ground underneath so no matter what they'll always get cold. I insulate under my airbeds with either cardboard boxes or a roll mat or even picnic blankets. It's unbelievable what difference that makes. Well that was before I got myself a self inflating mat and now I'm using that in preference to the airbed every time.

You really need to use some sort of shelter as well as your tent. I'd already mentioned a tarp, but an alternative could be a canopied windbreak like this one

http://northerncampsite.blogspot.com/2007/04/khyam-canopied-4-pole-windbreak.html

Just google Canopied windbreak, Gelert do one and Khyam also...probably cost about £35 or so.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011 by VMCC »

cerbera147

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011 »

When you're car camping the weight isn't a big deal, so you should get a tarp and a couple of poles so you can rig something up even just to shelter the door. I know it's too late for this time.

***Stupid question alert***

How would a man do such a thing?

I got one of the Banshee 300's and adding some living area would be quite good :)

Any recommendations for an affordable self inflating mat?

Good to hear you had a good camp out Grace & Oisin considering the crappy weather  ;D

Grace.

• Top Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011 »

Sorry yes mine is a self inflating mat, I just used the wrong word. Mine was a gelert 3/4 body one from halfords was around 15 pound at the time. Looked in cotswold but prices started at 35 and up. Only thing is when your on a little bit of a hill I tend to end up sliding the whole way down the tent. Any ideas on how to stop that? Its incredibly annoying.

VVMAC that canopied windbreak is a great idea. Shall look into one of those thought at the minute me and oisin have one tarp but are hoping to spoil ourselves to tarps and dd+ hammocks this summer. So next time maybe bring that with us.

Cerbera147 Im not quite sure but i'm guessing you could put one half over the tent sort of then tie it down then get two walking poles for the bit you want to sit under?

But better asking the more experienced guys on here ;)

VMCC

• Top Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011 »

I know the person who posted this pic originally and I don't think she'd mind

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011 »

Sorry yes mine is a self inflating mat, I just used the wrong word. Mine was a gelert 3/4 body one from halfords was around 15 pound at the time. Looked in cotswold but prices started at 35 and up. Only thing is when your on a little bit of a hill I tend to end up sliding the whole way down the tent. Any ideas on how to stop that? Its incredibly annoying.

I just happen to have a lightweight 3/4 self-inflating mat for sale at the moment...  Never one to miss an opportunity... :D

I find all self-inflating mats tend to be pretty slippy, and it's even worse if your sleeping bag has as shiny exterior.  To stop slipping I usually just spread my fleece out over the mat and that's more than adequate (as long as you don't need to wear the fleece for warmth!).  I've also heard of people carrying a small roll of that non-slip mat you can get for car dashboards etc.  It's pretty light and super grippy, plus you just need a small section to sit under your hips to stop you sliding.  I did recently see a Pacific Outdoor Equipment sleeping mat that had a really clever grippy section imprinted on the mat to stop you slipping, but since I've changed to a proper airbed with tubes I've not budged an inch.

Vicky, is that the 2 man Quecha pop-up?  I picked up one for my brother recently as he is heading for a weekend camping, but it didn't appear to have pop up sides like in that photo.  Are there a few different versions? 

Grace.

• Top Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011 »

I actually quite like the sound of that :) can you post? Not sure yet but there is a good possibility I shall take it off your hands.

I tried with the fleece thing but still ended up at the end of the tent. The idea of the non slip stuff sounds great though might invest in some. I looked in cotswold at the airbeds with tubes but I'm not sure if I should spend so much money on one whenever im just trying to build up lots of different equipment.. Though comfort is a big thing for my m.e and would help with camping. Decisions  ???

VMCC

• Top Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011 »

I think it's either the one man or the two, but it's the 'Air' version. Our Decathlon sells a three man Air and the idea is that when you're camping in full sun, especially first thing in the morning, you can let the hot air out and a cooling breeze in. You know the way a tent heats up too much!

I have taken a single duvet cover and slipped it over my SI mat, it's too big but I just fold it under. I also invert the cowl on my sleeping bag and hook it over the end of the SI mat too, which stops me sliding down the hill and also allows me to turn inside the sleeping bag without taking the whole thing with me. Thats fine if you don't need the cowl to keep the heat in around your head, although I have a woolly hat for camping (it gets put away inside the sleeping bag for the next time).

I've recently seen an Alkpit SI mat and it's got a non slip surface. They're expensive though, but very light for the comfort.

I think it was here that I read that someone put a couple of lines of clear silicone on their SI mat to stop them from sliding off.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011 »

I actually quite like the sound of that :) can you post? Not sure yet but there is a good possibility I shall take it off your hands.

Hi Grace, it's exactly the same as this mat here.  If you want I can send you a couple of photos by e-mail, just PM me your e-mail address if interested.

I'll be honest, sleeping mats is the one area where I've decided to spend a bit of money.  At the end of the day you can carry all the lightweight gear you want to make your walking more enjoyable, but if your super light mat doesn't allow you a decent nights sleep then you'll struggle the next day regardless of pack weight.  The POE Peak Elite seems like an awesome sleep mat, and I found it very comfortable and warm.  It has a high thermal rating for the core of the body, and I definitely noticed the difference.  I pair it up with a Backpacking Light pillow and a pair of ear plugs for a sound nights sleep :)

I think it's either the one man or the two, but it's the 'Air' version. Our Decathlon sells a three man Air and the idea is that when you're camping in full sun, especially first thing in the morning, you can let the hot air out and a cooling breeze in. You know the way a tent heats up too much!

Ahh, that must be the difference then, his is just the bog standard 2 man version.  Pity, the pop up sides look like a "cool" idea for ventilation!  What is this you say though about tents heating up too much?!  For some reason every time I go out it's Baltic regardless of whether its January or July ;D

Grace.

• Top Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011 »

Shall PM you now :) I have a little pillow that blows up but I don't find it that comfy. And I have a little soft pillow but my head just seemed to hit the ground on it. What's that pillow like?

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2011 »

Pillows are an area I was interested in. Over the last year, I have had seven, no joke. Some of them were either to firm, air filled, felt weird or just kept no loft. I finally got the one from Thermarest and have never looked back.

Grace.

• Top Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2011 »

Will have to look into one of these then. In the pictures of the different types they look very comfy. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]