Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Slieve Binian Summit Camp :)  (Read 4267 times)

Big Dod

• Jr. Poster
Slieve Binian Summit Camp :)
« on: February 25, 2013 »

Well,
I've been trying to make my mind up as theres so many to choose from and when I saw Typhoon's post about his Binian Summit Camp and that sealed it.

So yesterday off I went, sun shining, taking my time, many many (Photo opportunity  ;) ) breaks along the way :)
By the time I got to the top the sun had buggered off and it was cold.
Colder than I have felt in a 'long' time.
Got the tent up (must remember to put inner back in next time I take it out to air + clean it - time consuming with numb fingers.  Considered heading back down they were that cold.), took a few pics, made a coffee, had a sammidge and into the sleeping bag (first time with only base layer on and I was much warmer than last time on Commedagh with clothes - have a Mountain Hardwear Lamina 0) with a good book as the nice clear sky I had expected didnt happen .  You should see the perfectly clear night tonight  >:(

Disappointment of trip - realising that 1 pack of jaffa cakes is 'not' enough.  Boost - realising that you packed 2 cream eggs and a couple of wagon wheels in the other bag :)

Wind started up at a bout 23:00 and I didnt think I'd get any sleep but woke at 5am and it was sooo quiet.

Couldnt get back to sleep so took a few more photos and started to pack my gear.
NB: a rock is handy to bang pegs into frozen ground but dont bang as far as I did as you'll never get them out again in the morning :)  With icy ground, Rock pegs - excellent, others? - dont.

Both putting the tent up and taking it down again I could not feel my fingers but half way to the first wall below Binian I was sat on my butt taking in the view for 10 minutes and the weather was fine.
Did that (sat for 10-15mins) a few times on the way down.  Spoke to one man from the mountain rescue team, going up with his dog (and, I'm so sorry I cant remember his name) who told me the wonderful result of the Ireland v Scotland rugby match the previous night  >:(  What was that all about?!?!?

Anyway, eventually got to the car park where I knew I'd have to wait for the other half to pick me up at an as yet undisclosed time as my phone battery died the previous night and I knew she was busy with work calls.  So used the jetboil to warm up some chicken soup and had that with a few bread rolls.

Got bored waiting so thought I'd walk a bit down the road and meet her, lol, ended up in Glasdrummond where the footpath ends and sat there for an hour til she showed up :)
On the way I stopped at the quarter road filling station for a few munchies.  One large woman had obviously fallen out with her friends in a car.  I was sat on the white wall munching and waiting, she came and sat 2 feet from me on the wall. Eye contact but not a word spoken, thought I was waiting on a bus to Kilkeel, then proceeded to tell the occupants of the car to go and (you know what) themselves...  Swiftly lifted the rucksack and did a tactical munch a bit further on down the road :)

And as I sat there waiting it was just opposite the house that has eggs etc for sale.  Theres a million chickens in a field beside the house, a horse and a donkey - hence the last pic.
All in all a good night.
I think I broke my feet though...

All photos are at the link below...
Took many more but it was hard to focus manually at night and there was a bit of wind so a good few long exposures didnt  :-\ 
Next Time...

http://s1135.beta.photobucket.com/user/Big_Dod69/library/Binian%20Summit%20Camp%20-%2024th%20Feb%202013

Couple for here...

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013 by Big Dod »
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Re: Slieve Binian Summit Camp :)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013 »

Well done get that one off the list eh. Great write up I'm sure the Big Girl on the wall was a funny situation to be in lol. Can't get your pics on my phone so will have to wait till tomorrow morning when I finish work to get a squint at them.
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Big Dod

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013 »

Aye. 
I thought she was going to ask me something then sat 'just a wee bit too close' without saying a word :)
Strange...

Friend of mine steers cruise ships (God help them :) ) and when he's back end of March we're gonna get a few other summits ticked off so Typo-0n's post just put me in the mood for a trip up Binian.
I'm a blow in from Co. Antrim so I've still got all of the Mournes to explore...

And starting to meet a lot of locals up there too who all take the time to stop for a chat which is cool.
Cant beat local knowledge...

Didnt put it in my writeup but was talking to a couple who said they'd just come back from doing Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania/Kenya..

I work with a big lad from Sunderland who did it and he says it just about finished him off...

Definitely one for the future - Maybe :D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Spud

• Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013 »

Good job in getting out there, nice pics, looked a good trip!

Typo-On

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013 »

Excellent :) you may have used the very rock I had to go hunting for, that wee area was surprisingly sparse on rocks.
'Why are you wearing your pajamas?'
'They're not pajamas! It's my warm-up suit'
'Why do you need warming up for?'
'For doing stuff'
'What kind of stuff?'
'Super-cool stuff you wouldn't understand'
'Like sleeping?'

Big Dod

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013 »

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I lifted it  :)

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013 »

Despite the cloud cover it looks like you had an excellent time and the photos are well worth it, karma.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013 »

great job enjoyed looking at your photos. Well Done  :)
No one goes inside to clear their head

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013 »

well done Big Dod,great write-up & photos.Glad you stuck with it & camped on the summit,Binnian camp is a real classic,karma pal

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013 »

excellent pics, slightly jealous, but then i went outside and felt the chill, my bags only rated to minus 3  :)
think outside, no box required

summit86

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013 »

Aye. 
I thought she was going to ask me something then sat 'just a wee bit too close' without saying a word :)
Strange...

Friend of mine steers cruise ships (God help them :) ) and when he's back end of March we're gonna get a few other summits ticked off so Typo-0n's post just put me in the mood for a trip up Binian.
I'm a blow in from Co. Antrim so I've still got all of the Mournes to explore...

And starting to meet a lot of locals up there too who all take the time to stop for a chat which is cool.
Cant beat local knowledge...

Didnt put it in my writeup but was talking to a couple who said they'd just come back from doing Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania/Kenya..

I work with a big lad from Sunderland who did it and he says it just about finished him off...

Definitely one for the future - Maybe :D

Those cruise ships are being steered to the highest standards!!!  ;D

You should try the Columbia snowboarding gloves that I used on the Commedagh. That was about -10 and my hands stayed and toastie and you can still use your fingers! (Also work on a iPhone screen!)

"Men Wanted: For hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” - Ernest Shackleton

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013 »

Really enjoyed reading that.  Respect to you.  And many thanks for selflessly  ;) taking photo-breaks, you have really captured the mountains beautifully in those pictures.  If anyone hasn't already, I'd recommend clicking on the link above.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]