Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Bone fish hooks  (Read 9218 times)

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
Bone fish hooks
« on: November 05, 2010 »

Some Bone fish hooks

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Bone fish hooks
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010 »

Nicely done. What actual size are they?

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010 »

About this size

ChuckMcB

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010 »

I was about to post asking what kinda bones do you make them out of (couldn't think of any part of an animal that would be naturally bent to a 45deg angle)....but google seems to think that Nasal Bones do.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010 »

The bone hooks were made from a Cows shin bone, which is usually oval in shape. I cut the shin into slices across the bone and then removed the sections I didn't need.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010 by Celt_Ginger »

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010 »

Hi Celt_Ginger

Good Work with the hooks.  Have you ever tried using these for fishing or are these just a prototype?  How difficult would it be to incorporate a barb into the hook which would make it a bit more effective with a struggling fish?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010 by Dowser »
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010 »

As I've only just finished making them, they haven't been used yet, though they will be used at some stage. I'll have to make the cordage first and then waterproof it with a resin and beeswax mixture. A barb on this size of hook would not be difficult to make using a file, but I would have been concerned about weakening the hook tip by adding a barb as the bone would be prone to break if it's too thin.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010 »

How difficult would it be to incorporate a barb into the hook which would make it a bit more effective with a struggling fish?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the barb on fish hooks was to help keep the bait on?  No idea were I got that from though so may have just made it up ;)

So Celt, I take it you will be fishing with these on just a length of cord dropped into the water?  Will you use some kind of bait to catch the fish?  They certainly look the part, I'd love to see them in action!

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010 »

How difficult would it be to incorporate a barb into the hook which would make it a bit more effective with a struggling fish?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the barb on fish hooks was to help keep the bait on?  No idea were I got that from though so may have just made it up ;)

So Celt, I take it you will be fishing with these on just a length of cord dropped into the water?  Will you use some kind of bait to catch the fish?  They certainly look the part, I'd love to see them in action!

The barb is intended to stop the hook slipping out of the fishes mouth while retrieving it from the water.  Similar to the barbs on an arrow which are there to stop the arrow coming out of the hunted animal.

In some trout fisheries where people go to catch fish for sport and not for eating they operate a Catch and Release system.  Means the fish can be returned to the lake with mininal damage to it's mouth.  This keeps the fish fit and healthy for the next guy to practice his fly fishing skills on  :)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010 »

The barb is intended to stop the hook slipping out of the fishes mouth while retrieving it from the water.  Similar to the barbs on an arrow which are there to stop the arrow coming out of the hunted animal.

In some trout fisheries where people go to catch fish for sport and not for eating they operate a Catch and Release system.  Means the fish can be returned to the lake with mininal damage to it's mouth.  This keeps the fish fit and healthy for the next guy to practice his fly fishing skills on  :)

Ahh I know where I was going wrong... I was thinking about the small barbs you get on the back of the hook along the shank, but stupidly forgot about the barb on the tip of the hook itself :-[ Ignore me, carry on ;)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010 »

This keeps the fish fit and healthy for the next guy to practice his fly fishing skills on  :)

PS: From what I've heard about RedLeader's fly fishing skills, the trout are in no risk ;D

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010 »

Harsh ;)

This keeps the fish fit and healthy for the next guy to practice his fly fishing skills on  :)

PS: From what I've heard about RedLeader's fly fishing skills, the trout are in no risk ;D

cruben

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010 »

Nice hooks, I have made a few myself following the examples they have in the ulster museum( maori)They are made in two pieces. I'll try to upload some photos later as I don't have them on this computer. Haven't got around to using them yet but it would be cool to catch fish with your own hooks

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010 »

I've made 2 piece ones from wood and bone, tied on with Lime bark and sealed with a sprice resin and beeswax glue.

Much less time consuming than the all bone ones.

cruben

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010 »

I think they would work well on mackerl and pollock. I have tried to post some photos but with no luck yet.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]