Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Army gear  (Read 7019 times)

Paul72

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Army gear
« on: June 22, 2010 »

This might seem like a dumb question but does anyone prefer wearing army surplus gear whilst out hiking and camping or do we still have a certain mentality in this country that if you're lurking round the woods in camo clothing then you're up to no good?   

I know that army surplus gear can be much cheaper than other kit and is field tested which is why I tend to use it quite often (I just got a new French army goretex jacket for £40) but I also like the fact that with it you are harder to see (I can be a bit of a loner out there sometimes! ;)) especially if you're wild camping.

Anyone else feel like this?
"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

ChuckMcB

Re: Army gear
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010 »

....do we still have a certain mentality in this country that if you're lurking round the woods in camo clothing then you're up to no good?   
(Don't wear myself) Yea, it's been known to unnerve even the hardest mountain goats (the iWait Donard summit team for example) but it's more the attitude of the wearer. Can't recommend wearing them at the Newcastle bus station...but knee deep in the Dog of Donard would be fine.

I also like the fact that with it you are harder to see (I can be a bit of a loner out there sometimes! ;)) especially if you're wild camping.
(while I appreciate the safety factors) As a walker (and self confessed grumpy old man) I hate seeing bright yellow/orange/red jackets/rucks/tents when I'm in the high Mounres/wild camping. So being able to blend in has its advantages to the wearer (you can take a quick Barry White without being stopped from a distance ;) )

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010 »

Where did you get the jacket from cos I need a lightweight rainproof jacket??

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010 »

I like Army Gear, as you can see from the photo of me marshalling at the Iplod this year.  I've wore the stuff for years.  It can be a bit heavier than the more expensive branded stuff but it is designed for extreme conditions.  Until seeing this post I've never really given a lot of thought to the implications/messages wearing Army Gear portrays.  Everybody knows the stuff is widely available from surplus stores and that you don't need to be in the forces to get your hands on it.  As I said, I've wore the stuff for years, even around Newcastle, without any hassle from the locals.  I suppose that they only have to look at my skinny build to realise that I'm no Marine.

I did feel a bit under-dressed when I was wading through the wedding guests in the Burrendale on Friday night though.  :-[

I reckon if you find a bit of kit that suits your needs then buy it and enjoy it...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010 by Dowser »
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010 »

I found that army surplus stuff is a great way to "get into the outdoors" due to the fact that its so cheap and pretty much bomb proof! Saying that when you do eventually upgrade you'll wonder why you ever sweated your nads off in that combat jacket when your shiny new base layer/g-tex jacket combo is so awesome or why you struggled around with a 3+kg ruck the the second that sub one kilo bad boy settles on your hips!

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010 »

Where did you get the jacket from cos I need a lightweight rainproof jacket??

I got the jacket from here: http://www.fu-kit.com/product.php/245/army-goretex-jacket---french-camouflage (very good site and fast delivery) although I wouldn't say it's as lightweight as some jackets you could get.  It does give very good protection though which is why I got it.

Hunter

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010 »

AM BACK i've been wearing army gear out camping since i was 16 and most of my kit is army surplus i find it a lot better and longer lasting.
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

ChuckMcB

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010 »

although I wouldn't say it's as lightweight as some jackets you could get.
Paul72 can you fire the jacket on a scale to see what weight it is?

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010 »

Chuck
I'll check that when I get home tonight, it certainly isn't that heavy and would probably fit in a daysack if you roll it up tight enough.  The camo pattern is very good at blending you into the background, I've already tested that  ;D

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010 »

surplus gear is great. I used to a a great 40ltr bergen even though it must have weighed adout 3kg and issue bivvi bags are the dogs.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010 »

Chuck
I'll check that when I get home tonight, it certainly isn't that heavy and would probably fit in a daysack if you roll it up tight enough.  The camo pattern is very good at blending you into the background, I've already tested that  ;D

Chuck
The weight is just over 1kg and it folds/rolls up quite neatly

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]