Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Alpkit Hunka  (Read 32618 times)

andy1984

• Top Poster
Alpkit Hunka
« on: April 15, 2010 »

Morning all,

i'm considering getting a bivvy for coming into the better weather.

I was looking at the Alpkit Hunka and have a few questions, i think a few of you own this.

1. Would this be the best value bivy around this money. Dont want to spend more than this really.

2. How breathable is it? I'll be sleeping in a down bag cant afford condensation.

3. Is there enough room in the standard hunka to allow full loft of bag etc or would the XXL verison be better?

4. Do you generally sleep with ur face out of the bivy?

5. How warm do you find a bivy vs tent say sleeping in the same bag?

I was planning on getting a DD tarp to use with this, would this be ok? for maybe sleeping 2 under it.

cheers

Andy

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Alpkit Hunka
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010 »

Bivvy bags are strange, you'll either love it or you'll hate it! Most people will tell you just to buy a light weight tent or a hooped bivy because you cant cook or get dressed in a bag. This of course is true but if you enjoy bivying then you see all that as part of the fun! Don't get me wrong tho I'm not some sort of freak who enjoys lying in the rain with water collecting in a puddle at the bottom of my bivy or anything! I personally enjoy the freedom a bivy brings, there is effectively no seperation between you and whats out side comaperd to a tent.
I dont own an alpkit bivy but Most of the guys on here use them with the pipe dream 600 which is a down bag and I've never heard anyone complaining. They do on the other hand seem quite tight to the bag, like a second skin almost and once you put your roll mat in there doesnt seem to be much room to move.
And yes I would generally sleep with my face out of the bivy.

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010 »

They are good kit and I'm more than happy with mine. It can be a bit tight but I don't mind, and as for condensation there is a bit and you can def feel it in your down bag in the morning but it's not soaking wet.

I think I'm more of a face in but that is really only in inclement weather and that certainly wouldn't help with condensation (maybe this weekend will be face out).

You won't regret giving it a go  ;)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010 »

Morning all,

i'm considering getting a bivvy for coming into the better weather.

I was looking at the Alpkit Hunka and have a few questions, i think a few of you own this.

1. Would this be the best value bivy around this money. Dont want to spend more than this really.
I have one and can't fault it for quality or price. Have always slept under a tarp so it's never got really wet tho.

2. How breathable is it? I'll be sleeping in a down bag cant afford condensation.
I've never had issues. I sometimes feel a bit clammy but that could be the thick down bag.

3. Is there enough room in the standard hunka to allow full loft of bag etc or would the XXL verison be better?
There is but I do find it a bit tight and have considered upgrading to the XXL for a bit of wriggle room

4. Do you generally sleep with ur face out of the bivy?
Yes, I've never closed the hood

5. How warm do you find a bivy vs tent say sleeping in the same bag?
I've never noticed much difference. The breeze across your face is cooling but I love it.

I was planning on getting a DD tarp to use with this, would this be ok? for maybe sleeping 2 under it.
Theres loads of room under a 3x3 DD tarp. We've had 2 plus all gear with bungs of space to spare. When you're not sleeping the tarp is great for sitting under too

Only thing I would add is what about the midges - in winter it's no probs but come summer it could be a nightmare.
cheers

Andy

ChuckMcB

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010 »

Handy post...Was just about to drop £60 on a Rab Storm Bivvybag in Tiso at lunchtime, but the Hunka XL sounds like it would give me a touch more room if I find my current sleeping bag is too small and have to get an extra long one.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010 by Chuck »

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010 »

I got the standard size one, and had a go in last night.....

I think, perhaps a problem with this particular bivi might be, it doesn't close up (with the draw string) entirely round the entrance (face hole).  So might get a bit of rain the face or whatever.

Also, theres no zip down the side of it, so you have to step into it and wiggle ! 

Theres enough room for just u and your sleeping bag but - no room for the rucksack.

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010 »

I had at one stage considered the Rab ( they say it closes up to about 1cm ) but the Alpkit was just plain value for money and a bit lighter.

Having compared mine to the Trekmates (available at times from TK Maxx at £19.99) The Alpkit is more substantial and I was happy to pay that little bit more.

As for no zip theres less chance of a leak ... I've never worried about getting really wet as I've always been quite prudent about what sleep system I'm going to take depending on the weather forecast and what is planned.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010 »

I cant decide between the Rab Storm and the Alpkit Hunka.  On paper I like the sound of the Storm, but its hard to ignore the fact that the Hunka is £33 delivered. 

I know the Storm has a zip around the head, but does anybody know if this goes right down the side of the bivvy to make it easier to get in and out?  Even then I don't know if a zip is worth nearly £30 difference in price!

Can't actually afford a tarp at the moment though, but with the amount of you fellas that have them I'm sure I can find a bit of material to sneak under ;)  Also cant afford a 3/4 self inflating mat, but could probably get away with butchering an old foam mat to fit inside!

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010 »

I have a trek mate one and never had any problems with it. Even woke up in torrential rain on Ben crom and stayed dry.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

billy backpack

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010 »

cant afford a 3/4 self inflating mat, but could probably get away with butchering an old foam mat to fit inside!
[/quote]

Karrimor 3/4 for between £8 and £15 on some web sites  ;)

Mine has done the business !

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010 »

Stuff it, just ordered the Alpkit one.  I know what will happen otherwise - I will spend ages trying to make up my mind, and when I finally settle on the Alpkit one they will go out of stock :D

I will have to get my mummy to stitch a name tag in the inside of mine so it doesnt get mixed up with all you other boys bivvy bags ;D :P

Good thinking about the Karrimor 3/4 Andy.  Do Sports Direct still do them?  I called into the Bangor store but they didnt seem to have any.  Did get a Karrimor waterproof rucksack cover for a few quid though which is pretty good!

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010 »

what do you guys think, is the standard hunka large enough?

given that it is lighter and good bit cheaper than XL version?

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010 »

Twas large enough for me, mostly, I'm 6'2", had a full length inflatable sleeping mat inside it too.  Movement inside is a bit restrictive tho (with the mat in)....

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010 »

so is it better to have the mat inside the bivvi?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010 »

The standard Hunka is quite tight but I think it is designed like that for warmth and weight saving. I find it quite tight and can't decide if I should have gone for the bigger one or not.

I tried a night in mine with a 3/4 self inflating mat inside the bag and while it fitted fine I found it really odd. It was like being strapped to a plank - I felt like I was waiting to be waterboarded :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]