Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My first mourne mountain marathon race 2013  (Read 17058 times)

clairebear

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
My first mourne mountain marathon race 2013
« on: September 23, 2013 »

I've done a good few races over the years but this one was making me have butterflies.  probably due to the fact that It wasn't just a start and finish away you go but involved map reading and getting to clues.  I entered with Rich who I met on the forum. His map reading was stronger than mine so we had a good balance.

I managed to get my kit down to 10.5kg which I thought was a good weight for my first stab at it.

Carrying 750ml water knowing I can fill up on streams along the way.  Army rations, 4gels and 6mars/snickers.  Had a few extra because I know my sugar levels drop quickly.  Also had a powder electrolyte thing to use when at camp to top up my salt levels.  Ended up eating all the chocolate!

Early start, 5am. Rich stayed at mine and I ate as much as I could before I started to feel the dry boke coming on.  More water and coffee then final check and on the road for 6.15. 

Parked in tollymore and a minibus took us to the Mountain centre.  Registration and another bus to the start which was a secret. 

Lots of very small and very big packs. Off to Leitrim lodge in the bus and start line.  Rich marked the map and a long slog at the start but areas I Havant been.  Castle big is one I wouldn't rush back to! 
Before picture

Up Rocky Mountain and from there it was boggy, lots of heather and rough ground, a good few clues and we were doing ok but seemed to take a while finding them once in the right area. 
Up rocky
think this is up shanleive.

think this is on top of or near top of slievemoughanmore.  The weather had cleared now and the views were great. 
Up and Round pigeon rock and near the bottom with a clue of 'foot of crag' we could not find the crag.  Must have been about 10teams looking for it too. I ha a bright idea of spreading out so we could see more, I spotted it and presumed rich had seen me, mistake!  I was then shouting out richs name like a mad woman.  Eventually after another 15/20 minutes we were a team again. 

Then it was down to spelga dam where there was a cut off point. Muck was next and the last of today's climbing. Told rich it was also something of a climb that rhymes with its name. I wasn't feeling too bad physically, my training was paying off and nutritionally I was also spot on. Had taken care not to dehydrate too. Up and over muck then a couple of easy clues down to silent valley.

Camp, tent up, food on. Wash stinking feet and bed.

8hours and I know we wasted about an hour mucking about at clues looking for them. We decided Sunday would be finer tuned and read the clues better. 

Day 2. I knew the only way out of the valley was via binnian and probably moolieve as a warm up. Day two we had two clues we could do I. Any order as well.   Up over moolieve, up binnian the harsh way, we decided to keep the height we had and get the next clue on the north tor then drop down to binnian lough. Glad we did.

Rich was tarting to get it tight so I took a bit of his weight so we could keep the pace we were at,  another few easy nav clues and we were better with getting them,  nice wee tab on the brandy pad then up to the side of slievenaglogh
I sinked a mars bar which I needed then down and up to Lukes mountain.  Last few clues back to the mountain centre.

After

Great event and things I would do next year.
Lighter pack, at least trying for 8-8.5 kg
Short sleeves with roll down sleeves
Read the clues more
Ear plugs

Think rich has a map thingie he will upload of our 2days walk.

Typo-On

• Top Poster
Re: My first mourne mountain marathon race 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013 »

Nice write up Claire. Well done to you and Rich.
'Why are you wearing your pajamas?'
'They're not pajamas! It's my warm-up suit'
'Why do you need warming up for?'
'For doing stuff'
'What kind of stuff?'
'Super-cool stuff you wouldn't understand'
'Like sleeping?'

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013 »

Well done Claire and Rich!
It can take a while to get into the mind of the course-setter, but you'll have an idea where they like to hide controls for next time  ;)

I think you made the right call on the order of your cluster going by other teams we saw.

Nice to see some pictures. I didn't even bring my phone (John carried his to phone the wife...no signal at camp HA!).

Best way to reduce your kit weight... list it all and weigh it. Mark what is mandatory, and also note what you didn't use. Get rid of what you can, then focus on the biggest items. Just looking at your 1st picture I'm thinking "those tent poles would be no less secure without their bag"... it's unnecessary and adds nothing. Some things (like my air pillow) are also unnecessary, but I get an infinitely improved rest so it's 58g well spent  ;D

See you out there next year!
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013 »

Great work Claire and Rich. Fair bit of ground covered there. Good pics too, was Cash not annoyed at getting left at home?

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013 »

Well done indeed guys

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013 »

I now realise that all small items add up and I think I would also get a smaller pack so I had to carry less.  The clues were tricky and on day two we had a better idea of things. Definitely a learning one that and I guess the more you do the better at it you get.  I really enjoyed day one as I don't spend enough time over that part of the mournes and that is something I will try to change. The bog was wild though, really tough on the legs. 

Roll on next year for hopefully a better run at it with my map reading much improved.

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013 »

Phil cash was raging. He knows when I pack my bag he is getting out and when I left him I got a look of dirt. 

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013 »

Great write up Claire, Rich you look like you've lost the will in those pics (I know that feeling well!).
think outside, no box required

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013 »

Forgot to add I was wearing Solomon walking shoes which were fab.  Got a pair of sock gaiter things at the shop at the event start. 14 quid well spent too.  Good grip and light enough when wet. Also we entered the c class. 

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013 »

Forgot to add I was wearing Solomon walking shoes which were fab.  Got a pair of sock gaiter things at the shop at the event start. 14 quid well spent too.  Good grip and light enough when wet. Also we entered the c class.

The ankle gaiters are fantastic! Keep all those wee bits of heather and grit out of the shoes. I'm a recent convert to them as well.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013 »

Great write up Claire, Rich you look like you've lost the will in those pics (I know that feeling well!).

I did have a quick couple of minutes of downhill head time up Moolieve the morning of day 2. But generally due to bad fitness I looked like that pretty well 80% of the entire weekend.  ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013 »

Well done on a great result and a great read! One of these years I'll give the MMM a spin. Maybe next year ;)

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013 »

This excellent advice has been immortalized for all time in the NI-Wild Blog and will be entered into the draw for a Zippo Handwarmer. You can see it here:

http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2013/09/my-first-mourne-mountain-marathon-race/

Please give it a share on Facebook / Twitter or your social media network of choice so as a wide an audience as possible can appreciate it's genius!

Anyone can get their musings into the blog, just post something interesting on NI-Wild with at least some text and if possible, pictures and the blog fairy will do the rest. Anything is admissible - trip reports, advice and gear reviews are especially welcome.

Please contact if you would like any changes or a login for the Blog

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013 »

Great write up and loads of cracker pics thanks for sharing and a big well done a great achievement...
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013 »

Great write up, it has spurred me into entering it next year!

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]