Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sea Fishing at Orlock Point  (Read 22187 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Sea Fishing at Orlock Point
« on: May 18, 2010 »

Apparently there's a good spot at Orlock Point to sea fish from. Does anyone know exactly where it is?

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: Sea Fishing at Orlock Point
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010 »

I used to fish around the Orlock.  There is a lay by you can park in and then a short walk takes you out on to the rocks.  Haven't been in ages but would be up for dusting off my old spinning rod if you fancy going some time :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010 »

I've not really fished since I was a kid (only some fly fishing) but I was interested in having a pop at it. You a keen fisherperson?

I used to fish around the Orlock.  There is a lay by you can park in and then a short walk takes you out on to the rocks.  Haven't been in ages but would be up for dusting off my old spinning rod if you fancy going some time :)

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010 »

strickland's glen just round from Bangor is the place to go, last year my brother and I were hauling them out five at a time. We must have left with 50-75 good size fish, some for eating and others for bait.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010 »

Where exactly is that?

strickland's glen just round from Bangor is the place to go, last year my brother and I were hauling them out five at a time. We must have left with 50-75 good size fish, some for eating and others for bait.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010 »

I've not really fished since I was a kid (only some fly fishing) but I was interested in having a pop at it. You a keen fisherperson?

When I was a kid my dad and grandad shared a boat that we used to take out on Belfast Lough.  Did a lot of sea fishing from it and caught bucket loads of mackerel over the years.  Also used to go spinning at Orlock etc. but I only ever caught one mackerel there and I do remember on several occasions losing spinners as there can be quite a bit of seaweed for them to snag on.  Recently I've been thinking about fishing again as I still have my boat rod and spinning rod.  Good thing about sea fishing is you dont need to worry about licences, and in this country you are never too far away from the sea regardless of where you are :)

Strickland's Glen is here.  If you switch to satellite view you can see a small car park and then you follow a gravel lane down to the coast.  You probably would have passed it when you did your coastal path walk!  Matt - I don't doubt there are fish there, but are they not all floating dead on the surface with that dirty old river that flows into the sea? ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010 »

I'll get myself some gear sorted and we'll get out for some relaxing fun. We could do a bit of fishing and camp at Orlock Point. Ulsterwalker said he'd pitched there before without issue.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010 »

I'll get myself some gear sorted and we'll get out for some relaxing fun. We could do a bit of fishing and camp at Orlock Point. Ulsterwalker said he'd pitched there before without issue.

Sounds like an excellent plan!

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010 »

quote]

Strickland's Glen is here.  If you switch to satellite view you can see a small car park and then you follow a gravel lane down to the coast.  You probably would have passed it when you did your coastal path walk!  Matt - I don't doubt there are fish there, but are they not all floating dead on the surface with that dirty old river that flows into the sea? ;D
[/quote]

Thank's for posting the location, the stupid filtering policy in work prevents me posting links. You are quite righ, that river is stinking. when you enter that wee bay bit about 500-600m round to the right (closer to Bangor) there are cracking spots, thats where im talking about. Normally the currents there take all the crap towards Belfast.

irish2010

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010 »

Don't forget that the sewage empties into Orlock point.....  wouldn't fancy eating anything that was feeding there

robo

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010 »

i dont think it that good as there isnt enough room to fish if there are others there before you and you will loose a lot of tackle and not get that many good fish. The only good fishing there for me is the mackeral and you could throw a rod in anywhere and if they are in you a bound to get them. My advice is get somewhere where theres lots of space for yourself and others and also somewhere where you no there are a few different spots to fish from as when one dosnt do it then head to the other and also be careful if its wet as its a big enough fall from the rocks there.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010 »

Sounds like an excellent plan!

I'd be well up for a bit of relaxing fishing/camping! Trangias at the ready!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010 »

We really should get something organised, was chatting to Matthew about it on Saturday and I think he would be up for it as well so no shortage of numbers.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010 »

I'm in!

We really should get something organised, was chatting to Matthew about it on Saturday and I think he would be up for it as well so no shortage of numbers.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010 »

im in, have no fishing gear though
No one goes inside to clear their head

Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics