Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Taxis in Mourne Area  (Read 15156 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Taxis in Mourne Area
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010 »

Still, you don't have to jump in feet first. Can try it the easy way and then the hard way after. Then blindfolded hopping on one leg.

Any one fancy a Mourne Wall MkII trip?  I'm up for it, but still prefer the thought of doing it over doing two days.  The idea of using Meelmore as a base camp is great!

Yeah i'd be up for it! Although cant help but feeling like using a base camp is cheating somehow!! ;D Something about carrying your all you need on your back! Although it is a bloodly lot of climbing to be hauling a heavy pack up!! lol

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010 »

Still, you don't have to jump in feet first.

Me? I'd never do that..... ::)

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010 »

But i know what you mean!  ;D I'd defn be up for it with a meelmore base camp! i'm sure i'll prob still be near dead if i ever make it round!! lol

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010 »

Don't get too caught up in the whole 'having to carry all your kit around' debate - at the end of the day, the challenge is for YOU to walk around the wall over a period of 1 or 2 days. From experience, hawking a heavy pack around the wall only detracts from the experience and will have a massive impact on your speed.

J's advice is good - do it first using the Meelmore Lodge as a base-camp and that'll give you a good idea of what would be involved in tackling it in a day. You'll also be very familiar with the whole walk then and will know when to cross the wall to avoid steep or boggy ground.

On a similar note, has anyone done the seven sevens? Looks like another good challenge..

http://www.walkersassociation.ie/node/246

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010 »

Don't get too caught up in the whole 'having to carry all your kit around' debate - at the end of the day, the challenge is for YOU to walk around the wall over a period of 1 or 2 days. From experience, hawking a heavy pack around the wall only detracts from the experience and will have a massive impact on your speed.

J's advice is good - do it first using the Meelmore Lodge as a base-camp and that'll give you a good idea of what would be involved in tackling it in a day. You'll also be very familiar with the whole walk then and will know when to cross the wall to avoid steep or boggy ground.

On a similar note, has anyone done the seven sevens? Looks like another good challenge..

Good advice, i think it is the most sensible option to start with!
The seven sevens looks just as tough!

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010 »

Well done Paul, let me know when you want to do the sub 10 hour walk and I'll join u!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010 »

http://www.walkersassociation.ie/node/246

There was a thread started about the 7/7's here.  I'd love to do it as well, but not sure whether to try it first or the Mourne Wall!

Regarding using Meelmore as a base camp; it wouldn't bother me at all.  For me its all about going out and enjoying myself and if staying overnight at Meelmore allows me to complete the wall and have some fun then its all good :)

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010 »

Fair play mate thats some going. Theres a right few of us up for the 7 7's. We could prob get a squad together for the wall in a day as well.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010 »

Yeah I'm up for the wall in a day, and the 7 7's. not at the same time tho!

Eamonn

• Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010 »

I'd be up for the Wall in a day and the 7 7's :)

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010 »

One suggestion would be perhaps to leave your kit at Meelmore Lodge and walk half of the wall that far on day one, camp at Meelmore then do the second half on day two.
I will probably walk the wall again and do it this way so that I can enjoy the experience and take some time to enjoy the views instead of rushing from one summit to the next.

Assuming you were doing it this way, where would you start and finish? at Silent Valley or maybe Carrick Little?

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010 »

One suggestion would be perhaps to leave your kit at Meelmore Lodge and walk half of the wall that far on day one, camp at Meelmore then do the second half on day two.
I will probably walk the wall again and do it this way so that I can enjoy the experience and take some time to enjoy the views instead of rushing from one summit to the next.

Assuming you were doing it this way, where would you start and finish? at Silent Valley or maybe Carrick Little?

I'd probably leave the car at Carrick Little (not sure how safe it would be overnight but that's a different discussion and my car ain't worth nicking anyways!). That would leave a decent first day's walk and would also get the least enjoyable bit (from Wee Binnian to Muck) out of the way on day 1. Don't have the map to hand but you would be able to walk as far as Loughshannagh, Meelbeg or Meelmore I think (I think Meelmore Lodge is accessible from each of those).

Really tempted by the seven sevens but it would probably be a late decision for me. The problem with all these organised events is that by nature, you have to take whatever weather is thrown at you. Having experienced the Mournes at both their best and their worst, it's very hard to say if the event would be in any way enjoyable in poorer conditions. It's fair to say that the Mournes can be a very hostile place in poor weather!
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]