Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Mourne Mountains Info  (Read 9010 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Mourne Mountains Info
« on: November 20, 2009 »

Thought I'd record some of the facts

Slieve Donard : Height:- 848m / 2,796ft : Summit Grid Ref:- 329,602
Slieve Commedagh : Height:- 765m / 2,509ft : Summit Grid Ref:- 347,294
Slieve Binnian : Height:- 747m / 2,450ft : Summit Grid Ref:- 321,235
Slieve Bearnagh : Height:- 739m / 2,424ft : Summit Grid Ref:- 313,281
Slieve Meelbeg : Height:- 708m / 2,322ft : Summit Grid Ref:- 301,279
Slieve Meelmore : Height:- 704m / 2,309ft : Summit Grid Ref:- 306,288

Slieve Donard
Slieve Donard is the highest peak in Northern Ireland at 2,796 feet / 848m and is a relatively easy climb largely on a path which has become somewhat eroded over the years. The peak is by the small seaside town of Newcastle, Northern Ireland and is only 2 miles from the sea. It can be climbed either from Donard Car Park in Newcastle or from Bloody Bridge car park along the coast road towards Annalong. On a clear day the summit provides excellent views as far as Belfast, Dublin and the Isle of Man.

An accurate height for the peak first appeared the in local 1834 ordinance survey map which was further checked in the 1970s using GPS technology and found to be within 0.3m of the original measurement.

The mountain is named after Saint Domangart (or Domangard), also known as Saint Donard who was a follower of St Patrick and has his feast day on 24th March. Donard was the patron saint of Maghera in County Down and his 6th century church "Rath Muirbuilc" was in what is now Maghera Village. The place of the original church holds the ruins of a 13th century church and is by the modern Maghera Church of Ireland.

Route from Donard Car Park:
Leaving Donard Car Park follow the trail into the forest and at the first of three bridges cross the Glen River. From this point until the foot of the saddle you walk alongside the river. You should note that the path can be arduous when the weather is bad and has some sharp drops to the water. Continue for about 400m until you meet another bridge and cross again continuing along the bank until you meet the 3rd bridge (which you do not cross).

At this point the forest will drop away from the left and on a clear day you will see the slopes of Donard and Commedagh. Keep walking the track by the forest until you come to the remains of a stile with the Ice House on the opposite bank. From here follow what remains of a trail all the way to the foot of the pass between Donard and Commedagh where the path again crosses the river. Here follow a mix of track and steps up to the saddle.

At the saddle simply turn left and follow the Mourne Wall to Donards summit.

This route can also be used to summit Commedagh by turning right instead of left at the saddle.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009 by admin »

MG1

• Hero Poster
Re: Mourne Mountains Info
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009 »

Lamagan is over 700m
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: Mourne Mountains Info
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009 »

Yeah, I only started pasting stuff in as I found it. Wasn't doing it all at once. As I come across more info and have time I'll add it. If anyone wants to PM me stuff, fire away.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]