Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Mournes Hike: June 27, 2009

Author Topic: The "Can Jonno Make It up a Mountain Without Being Sick" Mournes Hike  (Read 11984 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

I've been trying to do a little more walking and improve my fitness for the last few months and I'd like to try a Mournes peak. I've been up Hares Gap to the top of SlieveNaglogh which went okay - now I'm looking for volunteers to help me have a pop at another peak.

I was thinking of Slieve Bernagh but I have no experience of how difficult it is. Stick a post on if you're interested and suggest a route and peak suitable for people at the more novice end of the scale if you know of one.

Tentative date is Saturday 27th June but Sunday 28th would quite possibly suit too.

666_pack

• Hero Poster

It's really not as tough as it looks ;D By the time you reach the hare's gap your half way up.
And coming down is no tougher than gettin back down SlieveNaglogh.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

chris

• Hero Poster

prob the best way to tackle bernagh imo is to park at the car park west of meelmore lodge (293926) then follow the fence/wall east untill you hit the trassy track, bounce up it to hares gap then follow the wall right up to the summit, then you can either retrace your steps or keep going down between meelmore and meelbeg, find the river and follow it back to the car park. Its a right wee jaunt but I think that way your stickin to mostly tracks and well trodden gorund.

chris

• Hero Poster

did you chaps hit the mournes then?

666_pack

• Hero Poster

No, This trip as been put back a few weeks but is still going ahead if you fancy coming along the more the merrier.

chris

• Hero Poster

Yeah im up for that, it'll be good to put a few faces to usernames! you got a rough idea of a date?

666_pack

• Hero Poster

Looks like July I think Jonno is busy but I'm sure we can get a date sorted.
I had also planned to get to Ben crom and possibly Doan in the  near future any possilbe route?

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster

Ben Crom and Doan,

start from OTT Carpark (great Jonno route into the inner circle of the High Mournes) follow the track up to the wall and drop down other side and head over to DOAN, the on to Ben Crom.

Can come back the same way or up to saddle at Sleive Meelbeg and down to Happy Valley car park and walk back up road, or go as far as Hares Gap (park one car at Meelmore lodge not that expensive and drive back to Ott Carpark).

Real easy walk in.

Hound.

666_pack

• Hero Poster

Sound like you know what your doing do you fancy comnig along for the craic once we get a date sorted?

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster

;D Wouldn't say I know what I'm doing but am up for a hike and some craic. Work night shift and have kids so it will be interesting getting a time, but will make every effort.

Have done the Seven Sevens, in geocaching terms, i.e. climbed the 7 highest peakes in the mournes, not all on the same day I might add.

Most peakes in a day was Meelbeg Meelmore and Bearnagh, great fun with the family.

Hound.

666_pack

• Hero Poster

Good man,
two kids at home to some I have to make the most of my time on the hills.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

We're building quite a list of people who are all much more fit than me :D

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster

Its not a question of fitness, but rather taking little steps and several hours later you are there.

I need to loose weight and so any exercise I can get helps, but the problem is the eating in between these excursions out.  :D

Am off on hols for 2 weeks start of August and plan on doing a few trips to the Mournes again with family in tow, as well as some canoeing and geocaching.

So looking at the video of you canoeing Jono, I'd say you were fitter than me.

Hound

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]