Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Shin Splints / Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (MTSS)  (Read 5170 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

I've always suffered from shin splints, mostly when I'm hiking and move a bit too quickly for an extended period, however I noticed after doing the Dungonnell Way it was especially acute. I used to think it was caused by not warming up but from reading about it it would appear there can be a number of reasons. Does anyone know much about it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
Re: Shin Splints / Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (MTSS)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012 »

I remember that when I use to do fast walking you had to jog during long walks to ease of from getting shin splints. Also heat therapy is good treatment.
No one goes inside to clear their head

brendanmcc

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012 »

Hi Redleader
I'm a physio and I see loads of shin splints.
Many causes as you have rightly stated.
- Tight muscles in the lower leg (especially gastrocs) will decrease your ability to absorb shock and may increase your predisposal to shin splints.  A good stretching regime may help.
- If you are flat footed by improving your arch support via some foot orthotics you will be able to decrease some of the effects.
- Varying the terrain that you walk on. Pounding long stretches of hard ground will also be a bit tough for shins.
Hiking boots generally have poor shock abosrbancy built in. If you have no major issues with flat feet you may want to try sorbothene boot inserts to decrease the pressure.

Things to worry about
             coldness or pins and needles or numbness asociated with shin pain or calf pain may indicate a more serious condition called compartment syndrome.

This advice is very generalised and only applicable if the diagnosis is correct.

In summary
sort your feet out, stretch more and have a think about the terrain
Hope this helps..

brendanmcc

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012 »

PS.  Ice the shin(s) instead of heating them.
Trying to decrease blood flow to an aggravated area is generally a good idea.
That said different things work for different people

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012 »

i used to get them when road jogging so ended up having to run on grass verges all the time, then changed my guddies to asics gel 1160 (after a treadmill tryout at upandrunning) have had no nother since  :)
think outside, no box required

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012 »

Don't think I can top the advice given by brendanmcc but I suffered from shin splint pain in the past.I blame this mainly on a number of things,firstly jogging on hard Tarmac,poor quality footwear,not warming up or cooling down,ie not stretching enough,for me anyway I used to get the pain every once in a while,but it was mostly nights when it hurt the most,as Brennan pointed out,cold compression works well,& for me Ibuprofen ,but again this can effect your tummy.good luck red leader as I know it's quite sore

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012 »

I had a good outing on Sat, did about 15 miles on the Mourne Way of which plenty was hard ground and I was fine apart from the usual aches and pains you'd expect. Think it's definitely to do with shock and maybe my gait, think I'll just have to stay off the roads as much as possible, though it's on my list of things to do to try a bit of jogging, might follow Liams example and get checked out for a decent pair of trainers.

Incidentally, I had a set of Sorthobane gel insoles knocking around the house so I stuck them in my boots and did 10 miles from Seapark to Bangor and whilst I didn't experience any shin splints I did end up with really sore feet and some blistering. Think the boots ended up too tight with the thicker insoles.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]