Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: least fav bit of kit!!  (Read 11629 times)

chris

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
least fav bit of kit!!
« on: June 22, 2009 »

Since we have a favourite kit section, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on their least fav bit of kit. Ever bought anything you whish you hadnt for eg?

I bought a trekmates inflatable 3/4 sleeping mat from tk maxx for £15 thinking it was a bargin, however the 1st time I slept on it the 2 sides of the bloody thing seperated and now it looks like a big square beach ball, dont even have my reciept to take it back so it looks like im stuck with it!

MG1

• Hero Poster
Re: least fav bit of kit!!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009 »

Mine has to be my 90ltr bag its survived two Isle of Man TT and numerous trips in the Mournes and a trip to Aviemore but i find the more room you have the more stuff you take my back can't cope.So this week i down sized to Bergaus 45ltr Artete and it feels great ;D
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009 »

Don't think I have a least favourite bit of kit but my ability to judge a short cut leaves a lot to be desired. :P
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009 »

Berghaus 35L freeflow rucksack. Because of the airflow system it's a bollox to pack and it's not much more comfy than a standard rucksack.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009 »

Worst I can think of is a Mountain equipment windproof fleece. I thought it was gonna be the best thing since sliced bread but hasn't been used in the hills once, which says a lot. Not bad for bumming around town when the weather is a bit wet and windy.

Quite heavy and definately bulky, will keep you dry on the inside in most weather but you'll feel cold because of the wet outside fleece, breathability sucks. In the hills I'd usually use an individual windproof shirt and a lightweight fleece, however a buffalo is also a decent option for a similar price and feels comfy and will keep you warm even when wet.

Spark

• Top Poster
    • Causeway Coast Adventure Racing
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009 »

This thing................. put's the fear of death in me every time its used............

The philosophy of going fast and light through the mountains has been universally embraced by climbers. In lieu of fixed ropes, heavy packs and pound-in anchors, climbers from California to Katmandu now stress speed and agility in the vertical world.

While this trend is nothing new, climbing equipment manufacturers continue to hone the tools of the trade. C.A.M.P. USA (www.camp-usa.com), the domestic division of Italy’s Construzione Articoli Montagna Premana, is a company whose gear epitomizes the fast-and-light movement.

Take the XLH 95 harness as example No. 1. This climbing harness is made of thin nylon webbing and mesh, and it weighs a mere 3.3 ounces, making it the lightest harness in the world, according to the company.

The harness is bare bones, no doubt, with little padding, few adjustments, and no belay loop. But it provides a secure tie-in point for a rope, and the harness is certified for safety by the Union Internationale des Association d’Alpinisme (UIAA) and the European Community (CE).

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009 »

Storm shield light weight sleeping bag that I bought on offer from Millets a while back. So restrictive it's like being in a straight jacket.

NeilB

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009 »

have to agree with jonno i have the freeflow rucksack also and its a nightmare to pack anything into it, thinking about getting the sabre 45

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009 »

This thing................. put's the fear of death in me every time its used............

The philosophy of going fast and light through the mountains has been universally embraced by climbers. In lieu of fixed ropes, heavy packs and pound-in anchors, climbers from California to Katmandu now stress speed and agility in the vertical world.

While this trend is nothing new, climbing equipment manufacturers continue to hone the tools of the trade. C.A.M.P. USA (www.camp-usa.com), the domestic division of Italy’s Construzione Articoli Montagna Premana, is a company whose gear epitomizes the fast-and-light movement.

Take the XLH 95 harness as example No. 1. This climbing harness is made of thin nylon webbing and mesh, and it weighs a mere 3.3 ounces, making it the lightest harness in the world, according to the company.

The harness is bare bones, no doubt, with little padding, few adjustments, and no belay loop. But it provides a secure tie-in point for a rope, and the harness is certified for safety by the Union Internationale des Association d’Alpinisme (UIAA) and the European Community (CE).

What are you ment to do with that!? it doesnt look like it has any gear loops, no belay loop and it looks like it fastens with a pull cord! do you own one? Are you into climbing? It'd be nice to have someone to talk to!

Spark

• Top Poster
    • Causeway Coast Adventure Racing
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009 »

What are you ment to do with that!? it doesnt look like it has any gear loops, no belay loop and it looks like it fastens with a pull cord! do you own one? Are you into climbing? It'd be nice to have someone to talk to!

Yes i own one, and i have done a few abseils in it and a bit of acending (painfull) mainly just in middle of an adventure race,would like to do more climbing tho...!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009 by Spark »

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009 »

well if it works it works! kinda gives me the impression that it would feel like your about to absiel while wearing nothing but a carrier bag!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]