Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: MYOG - Coke can stove  (Read 5818 times)

Typo-On

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
MYOG - Coke can stove
« on: August 16, 2011 »

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013 by Typo-On »
'Why are you wearing your pajamas?'
'They're not pajamas! It's my warm-up suit'
'Why do you need warming up for?'
'For doing stuff'
'What kind of stuff?'
'Super-cool stuff you wouldn't understand'
'Like sleeping?'

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: MYOG - Coke can stove
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011 »

Is it the chimney type?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011 »

On a scale of one to ten, how stupid am I for not realising there was a penny in a penny stove.... Do you have a link to any instructions?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011 »

Fascinating. I didn't realise there was a need for the actual penny, I assumed it was named to do with cost of manufacture. Doh!
Interesting that the penny element produces the same effect as the internal chimney but without all the fuss. Only thing about these style of stoves is if you're miles from a shop and stand on it or suchlike then you're pretty fooked. Though I suppose that could happen to any stove.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011 »

Best thing is how many beers you can drink in the name of science :P

The chimney one I tried to make didn't need anything complex, just a beer tin and red bull tin and the red bull was sized nicely to make the chimney without any glue required. Ofc I totally screwed it up - my seals weren't good enough so the evaporation didn't work.

Fascinating. I didn't realise there was a need for the actual penny, I assumed it was named to do with cost of manufacture. Doh!
Interesting that the penny element produces the same effect as the internal chimney but without all the fuss. Only thing about these style of stoves is if you're miles from a shop and stand on it or suchlike then you're pretty fooked. Though I suppose that could happen to any stove.

Also amazingly easy to fook it up while making it, wrecked 2 today during the assembly process. First one didnt go in square and the second split the base(think I maybe heated it too much)

I've been looking at the different ways to make the chimney type and I think its going to come down to what I have available, the best looking one I have seen uses an aluminium screwtop bottle and high heat epoxy - I have neither.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011 »

Had a minor incident today while 'testing' and set our granite surface table alight, which I then wiped to try and aid evaporation and promptly set the rag and my hand on fire as I had forgotten I had already used it to mop up a spill  :-\
So dropped the rag ( looked like the throwing sh*t Im on fire action put it out :) ) and covered the stove with my puter-outer(pot noddle pot) to be told, the rag is still on fire! So practiced a few dance steps :)

I did manage in the end to boil 0.5L of water in my MyTiMug in 5.5mins I think it would defo do it faster using the chimney/pot stand I made but it made me nervous after the spill :) Might have to experiement outside from now on  ::)

Here is the pot stand I quickly(2 min's) knocked up. It has a stove the the holes are in the inner of the ring I think this is why its so yellow as its not getting enough O2. Its now in the bin

You have to much time on your hands
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012 by TypoOn »
No one goes inside to clear their head

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]