Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: NIBA winter overnighter  (Read 11230 times)

NeilB

• Top Poster
Re: NIBA winter overnighter
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009 »

I'm up for it if this is still on guys. Would be cracking to get out into the wilds and try this

Paul

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009 »

No Probs neil, it is still on but we havent decided date yet. Chris as gary has so eloquently put, its probably not for you mate, as you said you dont believe in making life difficult for yourself and this would be difficult. I spent 5 days with nothing but knife, billy can and a metre of monofiliment on a 600 acre estate in cumbria last october. Believe me it was hard, but i enjoyed every minute. I like my comforts like the next guy/gal but this type of camping lets you know what you are made of.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009 »

It sounds like the sort of overnighter that could be useful to interest the walkers and campers in bushcraft. I think you can have a fun camping weekend away with some bc but without having to do it full on. For instance, bringing full gear but no tent and making a shelter - I'd be well up for that.

That said, I don't think Chris_8764 actually sleeps - he just sits with his eyes closed and ponders what summit he's doing next  :o

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009 »

lol guys thats fine i dont mind not going. Just to let you know tho I did a week of escape and evasion in gareloch october a few years backk head in scotland so i know what its like to be out there with no kit and guys chasing you. but as you said this kinda thing's prob not for me. I didnt realsise the NIBA was such an exclusive group! ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009 by chris_8764 »

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009 »

That said, I don't think Chris_8764 actually sleeps - he just sits with his eyes closed and ponders what summit he's doing next  :o

lol, thats just the way I roll jonno! sleepings boring!

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009 »

lol guys thats fine i dont mind not going. Just to let you know tho I did a week of escape and evasion in gareloch october a few years backk head in scotland so i know what its like to be out there with no kit and guys chasing you. but as you said this kinda thing's prob not for me. I didnt realsise the NIBA was such an exclusive group! ;D

Chris, if you are up for this then come along, just don't moan about it when you get there. If you like your comforts too much and think it is out of your depth, then don't come along. But please, don't start slagging us off.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009 by Celt_Ginger »

Mouldsy

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009 »

I think that what the N.I.B.A are trying to do on this day/night out is to show people just how difficult it would be to cope if you did happen to lose your rucksack with all your essential gear.
How to built a survival shelter in this country would be a very good skill to have, probably more important than fire.
Let's face it the three items most people are going to carry on their person when they are out is probably going to be a knife, fire-steel/lighter and may-be a length of cordage of some sort, I know I never leave the house without these items in my pocket.
You also have to consider that you want to be found and that you are not going to try and hide from a hunter-force.
I personally don't like the thought's of going without the creature-comfort's that I carry on my back, but I like the idea of having the knowledge to "survive" if I ever did lose my kit.
Lastly the N.I.B.A is not an exclusive club and I think Paul and Gary have put a lot of hard work into getting this thing open to the public, indeed if they did want an exclusive club they would not be putting invites out there for people to come along and share in the knowledge.
Davy.

Paul

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009 »

[

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009 by Paul »

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009 »

sorry if i offended you, I simply stated an interest and got the impression that beacuse I'm not into my bushcraft that I wold be some sort of hinderence/retard totally unable to look after myself unless i'm wrapped in cotton wool and spoon fed my dinner. And I wasn't "slaging" any one off.

Paul

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009 »

Don't know what gave you that impression Chris, it is open to anyone who wants to come along.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009 »

No Probs neil, it is still on but we havent decided date yet. Chris as gary has so eloquently put, its probably not for you mate, as you said you dont believe in making life difficult for yourself and this would be difficult. I spent 5 days with nothing but knife, billy can and a metre of monofiliment on a 600 acre estate in cumbria last october. Believe me it was hard, but i enjoyed every minute. I like my comforts like the next guy/gal but this type of camping lets you know what you are made of.

We do this sort of thing to test ourselves. That's why we would use minimal kit for this type of event. Most people have no idea how much hard work it is building a shelter. It takes hours of back breaking labour to make a good one that will keep you warm and dry. Gathering food, fire wood, making improvements to the shelter, making water safe etc etc is a constant ongoing task. An event like this is probably not for the weekend hiker. You would definately need a possitive mental attitude. It probably isn't something that the armchair adventurer would enjoy as the reality is very different than what you see on the telly. We can become very complacent with all our modern gear, but how would we cope if we had a catastrofic failure of that gear in a wild place? To me, learning how to cope in a practicle sense is more important than just reading about how someone else did it in a book or watching it on TV.
I'm totally with you in not making life difficult for myself. I have some gear that I hate to be without, but I also want to have some experience of how to cope if I do end up without it. That's why, every once in a while, it's good to go without.
hmmm i wonder what would have put me off going?

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009 »

dont get offended the point i'm making is that just because someone doesnt practice bushcraft or whatever doesnt mean they dont know how to look after themselves when it gets down to the nitty gritty and vice versa just because you can whittle a spoon and knock up a chair from a few twigs dont mean you'll be able to survive out there. and guys chill out your talking about one night, one night in a forest.

Paul

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2009 »

Anyway swiftly moving onwards, anyone interested check out the other post in this section by celt Ginger we will be running 3 courses as a build up to the overnighter to build up the skills and confidence in anyone who wants to give it a go.

Cheers

Paul

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2009 »

would anyone mind if i brought my gimp gear? just for round the fire mind?

Paul

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2009 »

As long as you don't start talking about BCUK I'm sure it would be ok. Gary would love it actually!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]