Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Kids camping gear  (Read 9019 times)

LeeBeard

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Newbie Poster
Kids camping gear
« on: March 17, 2010 »

HI Everyone

Does anyone know any good kids sleeping bags? one of my kids is ten the other is seven

Are there special sleeping bags for kids? is there any other kids specific equipment i need to think of for camping? (maybe warm outdoor clothing for kids?)

Thanks Everybody

oh wait also does anyone know of a reasonably thick (for the kids) and reasonably prices  double or single self inflating mat. My one is good but dont fancy shelling out that money again x 2

Thanks

Lee

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
Re: Kids camping gear
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010 »

My kids aren't as big as yours, but for what it's worth, we got their sleeping bags from tresspass. They were only £6.95 each (down from £15) but since those are only 1-2 season bags, we also got them fleece sleepsuits like the ones you'd wear under a drysuit.  They're easier to find in Autumn than Spring, but Donann sell them all year round.  http://www.donann.co.uk/

For sleeping on, - ours have wee airics, but I saw a post on here recently for Karrimor mats in Sports Direct:
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-camper-full-mat-786055

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010 »

I've no experience of kids sleeping bags but since they are cut smaller apparently they're warmer because theres less room. I just use an adult one for the kids.

For a mat, just get a 3/4 length self inflating mat, it will be more than big enough (Alpkit do a lightweight one for £20). I used a self inflater for my 11 year old when we were out and to be honest, I wondered if he might not have been fine on a normal foam one - kids aren't so bothered by stuff like that (and when I was a kids I don't think they'd even invented self inflating mats  ::)) If you're overly worried about cold or comfort put a foam mat under the self inflater.

Other than that, they don't need much gear - warm clothes and waterproof jackets and trousers + the usual hats / gloves etc and all outdoors shops do gear in kids sizes. My biggest problem is always keeping the young ones occupied (and out of trouble - as soon as you turn your back they'll be up a tree, in a river or in my case, showing you the sheeps skull they found!)

Only other thing of note is backpacks - I got a proper kids rucksack because there was no way I was carrying all our stuff. You can get decent ones that are comfy in kids sizes that do right up to teenage. You just need to keep their carrying weight below 10% of their body weight (but offloading 3 or 4 kilos makes a big difference when you're carrying all the rest of the gubbins and it gives the kids a sense of achievement and purpose.)

LeeBeard

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010 »

Hey thanks for taking the time to post such long helpful posts,

I will surely use the info when i next have a bit of cash

Thanks Guys

Lee

Mouldsy

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010 »

If you are thinking that the kids will be out with you a lot and will be camping for a while buy an adult size bag and tie a belt or something at the bottom of their feet, this will keep them just as warm if not warmer than the kids bags also I would stick to the foam mattress's as these are lighter and easier packed than the self inflating one plus you won't be worried about them getting punctured, you can pick up the army one in one of the surplus store's for a couple of quid and they are about 4 or 5mm thick which is plenty to insulate you from the ground.
Davy.

Hound of Ulster

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010 »

Kids camping gear is really not much different from your own. Tesco do a range of self inflating mats, self inflating pillows, little roll up blankets etc. Bought the pillows to go with my thermarest and noted they did a self inflating mat for a lot less. Millets do a good range, always ask for discount especially Millets as a rambler, gets a few quid off or if a CANI member discount in Cotswolds. The rugs were also a good buy. I just bought normal thermal hats and fingerless gloves.

All can pack down pretty small and is light enough for the kids. Am trying the space blankets in our hammocks for heat retention, upto 75% reflected back, boys said they were nice n warm on Saturday night and I could see my breath when looking outside.

A couple of big orange survival bags are cheap and light for kids to lie in inside their sleeping bags which helps keep the wind out.

Siting of camp is probably most important though as a badly sited camp can lead to an uncomfortable night.

Hou :)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]