Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mourne Caves  (Read 16950 times)

Eamonn

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
Mourne Caves
« on: April 28, 2010 »

Would anybody like to do the two caves near Annalong Wood,  Percy Bysshe and Cove Cave. The Percy Bysshe is a nice wee cave, there's three compartments i've only been into the first two because none of people who where with me would go past the first compartment so i didn't want to go into the third by myself incase i got stuck or freaked out. ;) Cove Cave is only a short distance away and once in side the cave it's a scramble over big wet rocks then a squeeze through a wee hole and another wee scramble. Good Fun.

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
Re: Mourne Caves
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010 »

Would anybody like to do the two caves near Annalong Wood,  Percy Bysshe and Cove Cave. The Percy Bysshe is a nice wee cave, there's three compartments i've only been into the first two because none of people who where with me would go past the first compartment so i didn't want to go into the third by myself incase i got stuck or freaked out. ;) Cove Cave is only a short distance away and once in side the cave it's a scramble over big wet rocks then a squeeze through a wee hole and another wee scramble. Good Fun.

That sounds like pure Hell to me!!  :o
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010 by Kirth »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010 »

It does sound scary but I'd definitely be game.

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010 »

Cove cave is nicer by the small side entrance than the massive main cave way in.

Eamonn

• Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010 »

Cove cave is nicer by the small side entrance than the massive main cave way in.

Didn't know there where two ways in. I'll defo have to check that out.

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010 »

There is the big obvious main way into the cave (i.e. the main cave itself).  I have heard reports that in the last year or so something has moved in this area.  I am uncertain if this is true or not or wether it changes things getting in that way.  Last time I was through (just over a month ago) it was via the side way in and nothing seemed to be different to my memory when going this way.  The side way into the cave is via a small entrance accessed about a quarter (or a third) the way up a gully.  The gully is just to the left of the main cave as you look at it from the approach.  The side way is definatly much more fun.

Percy bysshe is a nice cave too.  The last  of the three chambers requires a bit of a crawl on your belly.  A friend of mine once went in and just as he was shuffling along on his belly to get into the third chamber he raised his head to catch two eyes glowing and looking directly at him.  Someone had stuck two cat's eyes (the road ones!) onto the far wall of the third chamber in the perfect alingment for the most dramatic effect.  He nearly self lubricated his exit from the cave.

Belfastman1958

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010 »

".........Someone had stuck two cat's eyes (the road ones!) onto the far wall of the third chamber in the perfect alingment for the most dramatic effect.  He nearly self lubricated his exit from the cave........"

I just lubricated myself with laughter at the very thought of seeing two eyes staring at you from out of the darkness........

Brilliant!!!!!

Alan.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010 »

hope to visit cove cave this weekend, is it easy to find? (remember it  took me 2 trips to find Percy Bysshe cave  >:( )

bringing a few kids with me so want to look like i know where i'm going  ;D  wonder if i'll tell them about the cats eyes  ::)
think outside, no box required

ChuckMcB

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010 »

Dead easy....on a good sunny day (HA!) you can see it clearly from the Annalong wood which is miles away...just looks like a big black shadow in the mountain side...Otherwise if it's cloudy, just take the first right after passing the Annalong Wood  and keep following the path and you will end up at the foot of it. Want me to fire up a map?

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010 »

house is coming down with maps, a litlle X marks the spot on the attached picture would be nice though  :)

ChuckMcB

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010 »

About here....maybe a bit more to the right...

Here's another pic to show the size.

Here's a map as well.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010 »

perfect, many thanks

so is it just the 2 caves in the mournes or are there any others?

ChuckMcB

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010 »

are there any others
I'm unaware of any others.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010 »

cave hike completed yesterday, made it to 2nd chamber in Percy Bysshe this time but chickened out on the third, maybe next time, couldn't hold the kids back though, they just dived in

Cove was a bit tricky for the kids to get to the entrance but we managed to haul them up  :D bit disappointed with it after Percy, or maybe there was more to it that i didn't see

ChuckMcB

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010 »

Yes, the enterance to Cove is a bit slippy (that's why I chicken out last time I was there....the going in would be ok...but the coming down again gives me the jitters).

Apparently you can climb right on up through Cove but it's tough going. The Off the beaten track man went up through it with Banjo Bannon in the program last year, watched the program at the weekend past. Must fire it online somewhere, its only about 100MB (just don't tell the BBC ;) ).

(psst: I uploaded the Off the beated track videos a while back and forgot about them....    https://vimeo.com/user7574987 the one about the caves is called "OTBT 4 Mourne Mountains 2")
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013 by Chuck »
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]