Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Mount Errigal Summit Bivvy by Motorbike  (Read 24444 times)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Mount Errigal Summit Bivvy by Motorbike
« on: June 01, 2015 »

+

=

I think this Saturday is going to be the day that I get my new Panniers out for an airing and knock a new mountain summit off my to do list at the same time.

Mount Errigal is 751 metres of pure beauty situated near Gweedore in County Donegal, Ireland.  It is the tallest peak of the Derryveagh Mountains, the tallest peak in County Donegal, and the 76th tallest peak in Ireland.  Errigal is also the most southern, steepest and highest of the mountain chain, called the "Seven Sisters" by locals. The Seven Sisters includes Muckish, Crocknalaragagh, Aghla Beg, Ardloughnabrackbaddy, Aghla More, Mackoght and Errigal. The nearest peak is Mackoght, which is also known as Little Errigal or Wee Errigal.

Google Earth view here: https://goo.gl/maps/x5VaF

My plan is to set off on Saturday morning and arrive in Donegal around 12ish for a big fry in a local greasy spoon.  Once fed, I'm going to explore the roads around the base of Errigal and plan my line of attack for conquering the summit.   Once I've decided upon my route I'll find somewhere handy to dump the bike, gear up, and set off for what I hope will turn out to be a crackin sunset bivvy on the summit of Errigal.

Wikipedia Link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Errigal

Some guy who's climbed it a few times write-up: http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/go-walk-mount-errigal-co-donegal-1.1895958

If anybody fancy's a decent ride out on the bikes, a hike up Errigal, a summit bivvy, or all three then feel free to drop me a PM,  but be warned... I'm travelling fast, I'm travelling light and I'm sleeping on the summit!

Dowser
8)

PS, If you haven't sponsored Spud yet on his "Long Walk North" please pay a visit to his page and donate, if you can spare a few quid.  It's for a great cause and you never know when you may need Mountain Rescue assistance: http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4915.0
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015 by Dowser »
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Mount Errigal Summit Bivvy by Motorbike
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015 »

I'd throw in something to use as a air mat protector, or maybe a karrimat.  From my recollection of Errigal, the flattest ground to lie on may just be the track itself.  If you roll about at night, you may wake up at the bottom ;)
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015 »

I'd throw in something to use as a air mat protector, or maybe a karrimat.  From my recollection of Errigal, the flattest ground to lie on may just be the track itself.  If you roll about at night, you may wake up at the bottom ;)

Thanks for the info WhoRya... I've been looking at photos of the summit on-line and there really isn't a lot of summit to be rolling about on  ::) 

I've a karrimat packed and I may drop down a bit till I find a ledge off the beaten track.  Don't want to alarm any early morning walkers!

I'm only going to be in a bivvy bag so should be able to get nestled in somewhere till sunrise.  Worst case scenario I'll drop down to somewhere safe... As long as I make it to the summit at some stage throughout the hike I'll be happy.

There's a wee ledge to the left of this pic might be just the ticket  :D

See the View

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015 »

You wont get a bivy up there unless it is veritical . Go next door to Mackoght . great wee bivvy spots on that .
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015 »

Dowser seriously wet under foot on the approach . You will up and down in 2 hours

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015 »

You wont get a bivy up there unless it is veritical . Go next door to Mackoght . great wee bivvy spots on that .

Dowser seriously wet under foot on the approach . You will up and down in 2 hours

lol... Great advice Windy but a tad to late  :o 

I chose to complete this challenge on Saturday past, with possibly the worst weather I've been out in for a long time!  I'm hoping to have a trip report up later this evening, but you are right about it being wet under foot.  I set off from the car park on the R251 and headed up what looked like a tourist trail towards the base of Errigal.  After only 200 yards the ground under foot turned into swamp and I was completely surrounded with what seemed to be a horseshoe shaped bog.  Luckily I had a walking pole with me and was able to sound out the ground before advancing but as I was edging towards a really boggy bit I edged just a bit to far and went knee  deep in bog without any gaiters on.  I spent the next two days with one wet foot  :'(

With regards to the bivvy... It would surprise you where I can set up a bivvy!  Full trip report later, with pictures, but I dropped down from the summit about 100 metres and found myself a nice collection of rocks to nestle into for one of the windiest, wildest night I've spent in the hills for a long time.

8)
See the View

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015 »

Dowser that was a rough weekend lol .Not sure if Errigal or the bike was worse. Trick us to follow the river up. You must have dropped down to Joey's cairn.Keep an eye out as planning to do the Glover later this year.

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015 »

I look forward to the report Dowser.  I too was out on a solo bivvy (Friday night) down in the Mournes and the wind was serious.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015 »

I look forward to the report Dowser.  I too was out on a solo bivvy (Friday night) down in the Mournes and the wind was serious.

Serious pretty much describes it lol... I'll try and get a report posted soon.  My pictures aren't great because there was low lying cloud for near enough my whole visit.  Around 9pm it cleared for about 3 mins and I snapped like mad, but then it was back to damp mist and 20ft visibility :'(
See the View

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]