Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Adobe Lightroom 3  (Read 5552 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Adobe Lightroom 3
« on: March 26, 2010 »

Adobe have recently released public beta 2 of Lightroom 3.  I've been using the first beta, but too be honest it just had too many bugs here and there to use it exclusively.  Beta 2 seems a lot better, it's ironed out a lot of the problems of the first beta and added in some new features as well.

Lightroom is basically image management and processing software all rolled into one.  A bit like the best bits of Adobe Bridge and Photoshop stuck together into its own unique working environment.  It will also allow you to process RAW files without having to open ACR (Adobe Camera Raw).  And the image editing is totally non-destructive so you can chop and change photos to your hearts content knowing the original file is untouched on your hard drive.  Most photos I import, sort, tag, process and export all from LR without ever having to use PS.

Its definitely worth a try if you are interested in digital photography, especially considering the public beta 2 is free and stays fully functional until the end of June.  You can download the software here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

If you haven't used it before its also worth checking out a few tutorials on LR.  Some people get a bit put off by the modules and arent sure where to start, but if you watch a few Youtube tutorials beforehand it will give you the best opportunity to fall in love with this software :)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Adobe Lightroom 3
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010 »

Adobe have recently released public beta 2 of Lightroom 3.  I've been using the first beta, but too be honest it just had too many bugs here and there to use it exclusively.  Beta 2 seems a lot better, it's ironed out a lot of the problems of the first beta and added in some new features as well.

Lightroom is basically image management and processing software all rolled into one.  A bit like the best bits of Adobe Bridge and Photoshop stuck together into its own unique working environment.  It will also allow you to process RAW files without having to open ACR (Adobe Camera Raw).  And the image editing is totally non-destructive so you can chop and change photos to your hearts content knowing the original file is untouched on your hard drive.  Most photos I import, sort, tag, process and export all from LR without ever having to use PS.

Its definitely worth a try if you are interested in digital photography, especially considering the public beta 2 is free and stays fully functional until the end of June.  You can download the software here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

If you haven't used it before its also worth checking out a few tutorials on LR.  Some people get a bit put off by the modules and arent sure where to start, but if you watch a few Youtube tutorials beforehand it will give you the best opportunity to fall in love with this software :)

Hey SuspectM'

I've just got Adobe Lightroom 3 but haven't a clue where to start with it.  Do you fancy giving me a bit of a tutorial session sometime.  ::)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010 »

Hey SuspectM'

I've just got Adobe Lightroom 3 but haven't a clue where to start with it.  Do you fancy giving me a bit of a tutorial session sometime.  ::)

No problem at all, I haven't actually got round to getting LR3 yet as I'm still using LR1, but I had a play with the beta version for a while and it seemed worth upgrading to.  Sure drop me a PM and we can catch up some evening!

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010 »

Hey SuspectM'

No problem at all, I haven't actually got round to getting LR3 yet as I'm still using LR1, but I had a play with the beta version for a while and it seemed worth upgrading to.  Sure drop me a PM and we can catch up some evening!

Your off the hook Suspect.  My camera club in Bangor had me out taking photos in RAW on Wednesday morning then spent an hour showing everybody how to use Lightroom 3 that evening using my photos as guinea pigs, so to speak.  It really is totally amazing how photos with numerous exposure/burn out problems etc can be recovered and turned into something quite presentable.  I don't think I'll be carrying my big box of Cokin filters with me anymore either, just my Polarisers.

I have a spare copy of Lightroom 3 if you would like me to stick it on your machine.  It is pretty awesome.  I could probably give you bit of a tutorial on it now instead  :P
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010 »

I did a workshop last year with Peter Cox on image processing and composition.  I attended one of the first sessions he ran and both subjects were covered in the one day, but I believe they are now split into two seperate classes.  If you ever get the chance to go I'd thoroughly recommend it, was some of the best money I've spent on photography and much more beneficial to my photos than buying lenses etc!  I have a Word file with notes I made on Adobe Camera RAW module I can e-mail through to you, its pretty useful to have beside the computer when you are processing.

Are you planning on going down to the camera club on Friday night?  I wouldn't mind tagging along if you were...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010 by suspectmonkey »

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010 »

Came across this article the other day about RAW processing using Adobe Camera Raw, which is pretty much the same module that is found in Lightroom.  Worth a read.

http://www.photographyireland.net/articles/show/36

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]