Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Hunting for Hares  (Read 3772 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Hunting for Hares
« on: March 30, 2015 »

No not the fluffy kind from a Potter book, but more of the access kind. I have been told before that there is a way from the bottom of the cliff to the top of Binevenagh without having to go around either side, the the purveyor of this tall tale informed me that a route known as "Hares Path" literally went through the cliff side. Now I have spent a lot of time on, in and around Binevenagh and have never seen any way up other than the two trails that are on either side of the cliffs, but was not to be put off with the chance of new things to find. so I recently took a trip up there as a little over nighter. The main aim being to find the path up so I parked down at St Aidans as normal and went up through the forest park. This let me spend some time walking around the cliff base to get an idea of anywhere that looked even remotely like it could be scaled.

I had been informed that this pathway did not require any climbing gear etc, as such I was not heading out with crampons nor axes etc. At the same time I was not out to try and do anything major so left all the lightweight stuff at home. Instead it was a simple 35l pack with just the essentials for an over night camp, then just boots and decent clothing to be comfy in. The day I went was good clear dry weather, but there had been some rain the previous couple of days, which was to make things tricky at the cliffs. After around an hour or so I came across a cut in the cliff side that looked like it had promise. There clearly at some stage in the distant past had been a slide or such that had caused a large opening to grow in the cliff that seemed to head all the way to the top. It was now a rocky bed that was being slowly turned in to a water run off for the bog up on the top. But after some further checking the area this seemed like the only possible way anything could get from base to top without wings. Most of the way looked like it was a fairly steep incline with the odd terrace now and again in sight.

Now granted my next actions I would not go and recommend to anyone starting out, as it was a clear risk of danger. But I pressed on fully happy to accept a broken leg or such with the prospect of getting to the top, after all if you want to stay safe and warm then sit at home and watch telly before dying of some unpleasant illness. So full of brazen confidence I set off making my way slowly up, though things quickly became clear it would be no easy climb. Around halfway the rocks turned mostly into boulders and I was mostly hands and feet climbing my way up a fast stream of water and wet rocks. With nothing for company by sheer rock cliff faces that loomed as if ready to drop and keep me there. To top it all off when I reached what I thought was almost the top I found out it was a total dead end. At that stage I am humble enough to admit I had around a 6-7 second period where I thought I might not be able to get back down on my own steam. But a combination of 5 year old carefree spirit, and the idea of future shame of being another statistic being rescued I figured I could probably hop back to the car even if I break a leg. Thus I went back the way I came, just a little slower and with more care.

Took one of the normal trails around the side to the top and had a nice night out though so not a total loss. But I will have to try to find another way up, nothing worse than being beaten when you were positive the task was doable. Obviously didn't grab any pictures while doing this but I did at least have the video running so put it into a short bit to show the terrain etc. Also a little quick one from the top.

Windy

• Top Poster
Re: Hunting for Hares
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015 »

interesting must look for it next time im up
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]