Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Less Expensive Outdoor Kit  (Read 16003 times)

surfnscenic

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
Less Expensive Outdoor Kit
« on: November 08, 2011 »

The Regatta Shop in Portstewart, on the seafront is always worth a plunder when you are up that way.

http://www.portstewartclothing.com/

Liam, especially for you!
Every carrot has a tunnel at the light end of the stick.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Less Expensive Outdoor Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011 »

not a town i'm ever in unfortunately  :'(
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011 »

I've bought loads of stuff there. Obviously it's very Regatta heavy so if you're not a fan of the brand then you wont be able to buy much else, however, if you don't mind Regatta stuff it's a great spot and pretty reasonably priced. It's also a brilliant place to get cheap outdoor gear for the kids (including hiking boots/shoes).

Plus you can go to Morelli's for a wildly overpriced ice cream while you're there! (Also worth mentioning there's a great butchers in Portstewart who sells award winning sausages).

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011 »

not a town i'm ever in unfortunately  :'(

Wot he said... :( :( :(
"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011 »

Maybe i'am just a 'cheap-skate' but i don't buy any of my gear from shops,they're too expensive for quality brands.I prefer EBAY,i've kitted out the whole family with North face,craghoppers,berghaus,gear for a fraction of the retail price,for example i've about eight fleece jackets,all top brands with at least two of them costing near two hundred pound's,total cost to me including postal,- 129 pound,it's just a matter of searching for the items,again another example i bought a pair of Berghaus goretex yeti gaiters,cost 2.89,The seller did not spell them right so the listing was wrong,mistakes like this i'am always looking for,just got a pair of Brasher boots today,worn once,total cost including postal to me 31 pound,even if i had the money to buy new,i would not,the list goes on silva type 4 compass 4.00,craghoppers goretex jacket 19,if anyone out there does not believe me i can provide proof,anyway there's always a bargain too be had,so next time check ebay first

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011 »

Maybe i'am just a 'cheap-skate' but i don't buy any of my gear from shops,they're too expensive for quality brands.I prefer EBAY,i've kitted out the whole family with North face,craghoppers,berghaus,gear for a fraction of the retail price,for example i've about eight fleece jackets,all top brands with at least two of them costing near two hundred pound's,total cost to me including postal,- 129 pound,it's just a matter of searching for the items,again another example i bought a pair of Berghaus goretex yeti gaiters,cost 2.89,The seller did not spell them right so the listing was wrong,mistakes like this i'am always looking for,just got a pair of Brasher boots today,worn once,total cost including postal to me 31 pound,even if i had the money to buy new,i would not,the list goes on silva type 4 compass 4.00,craghoppers goretex jacket 19,if anyone out there does not believe me i can provide proof,anyway there's always a bargain too be had,so next time check ebay first

I'm with you on this... Nothing "Cheap-skate" about it!!!  Although, now that you have shared this gem of information, Ebay will be cleaned out by NI-Wilders and it will be off to the shops for you  ;D

I really need to get my kids kitted out properly if I'm going to enjoy the winter months in the hills and Ebay is defo the place to do it, especially for kids outdoor gear.  Kids grow so fast that most of the items up for grabs will genuinely have only been worn a few times before they are outgrown.

8)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

Oisín

• Has climbed with NI Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011 »

Maybe i'am just a 'cheap-skate' but i don't buy any of my gear from shops,they're too expensive for quality brands.

Disagree with this. There are bargains to be had, your just not looking hard enough.

I feel it is better to buy in the shops, especially local independant ones. you can try on the clothes and get professional advice.  I like to keep money in the community as compared to giving it away to someone else. If I have to pay a little extra to make sure someone local see's the good of it then so be it.

These sort of qualities you just cannot find anywhere else.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011 »

most times Oisin the money does not go to local,it goes to Blacks,Cotswolds,Millets,even worse it goes to the Tax-man.It's the best way to recycle your gear and by buying from people just like ourselves we're cutting out the middle-man and in-turn helping kit ourselves  out for a fraction of the price,fair point Oisin about trying on the garment for size,but i've found a way around that that,recently i was watching a summit series North face jacket on Ebay but was worried as the size was large and i though it may not fit me,so the next day when the wife was shopping in Belfast i tagged along and when around the Outdoor shops trying on different size's,guess what the large size fitted no problem,so back onto ebay 7 bids later, 36.00 thanks very much i'll have that.There's nothing like a bargain.As i posted above new brasher cost what about 128 pound or so i payed 31 for a pair worn once,bright lights and big windows i thank you not

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011 »

The temptation may be to buy stuff that you don't need because it is a good price.  How many jackets do you have Mr surginor?  I'm always a bit scared of counterfeit gear online.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011 »

Hey Jsurginor, that wasnt a softshell with some repair to the front zip was it?
No one goes inside to clear their head

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011 »

RE: Buffalo Shirt - I had one when I was younger, I would buy a new one if they wern't so expensive.

Above is a prime example, and I hope you don't mind me using it Lenny!

Times are tight for everybody at the minute and I feel that if an item can be purchased second hand, in order to get you out into the hills, then go for it!!!

It doesn't have to be second hand items either...

I do understand the benefit of advice received from "some" outlets when purchasing boots etc, and buying items like this on Ebay usually ends in false economy but...

...if I was looking to buy an item, and wanted a bit of guidance beforehand, I would put a post up here on NI-Wild and let our Gear Monkeys give me the pros and cons, then I would get myself on-line and buy it at a bargain price.

If I can save myself 30-40% (Which is nearly always the case, even after p&p) I'm going to.

8)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011 by Dowser »
See the View

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011 »

Well to be far i did buy one north face fleece that was a rip-off,and that was a good point about buying too much stuff as well.Let's see now  I,ve five north face ,two karrimor,two Berghaus,1 craghopper fleece's too many i know ,but some of them were as little as 2 quid,so when you put the price together what i payed for them it works out about the price of two jackets from a store

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011 »

most times Oisin the money does not go to local,it goes to Blacks,Cotswolds,Millets,even worse it goes to the Tax-man.

Even though I'm not talking about the big chain stores I see where your coming from. But that in comparison to the amount of money Ebay make? tiny.

I was mainly meaning the shops that are owned by local people, the smaller shops.

There are bargains in the shops all the time, just wait until they are wanting to get rid of old stock or last seasons, alot of the time its cheaper than it would be on ebay, and you get it instantly.
It is not about being the fastest, the strongest or the biggest. It is about being ourselves - Kilian Jornet

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011 »

Example:

Primus Omnifuel Stove - Amazon: £119.99 (Plus Nectar Loyalty Points)

Primus Omnifuel Stove - Cotswolds; £145.00

18% Saving without having to try and get parked or sit in traffic for an hour.

Links
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Primus-Omni-Fuel-Stove-Bottle/dp/B000KBJ8N4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320847735&sr=8-2

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/product/primus-omnifuel/fuseaction/products.detail/code/97210015/id_colour/180
See the View

Oisín

• Hero Poster
    • Oisin's Flickr
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011 »

Example: Example Revised
Remember % Discounts
Cotswold

15% of £145 = £21.75

New price = £123.25

Amazon

£119.99 + P&P (9.99)

Total = 129.98

Pages: [1] 2 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]