Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sore Knees  (Read 10636 times)

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
Sore Knees
« on: January 19, 2012 »

Sorry for the n00b question, I'll try to keep it brief.

I'm aware that hiking does put strain on the knees, particularly weaker knees which haven't built up their stabilizing muscles - and when you go downhill.

Just wondering, when you guys started out at first, were you sore early on around the knee / calf area - and for how long?

My first proper walk was donard last thursday, then on sunday I did a walk from antrim road up cavehill and down the estate park, other than walking into work I haven't walked since - but my knees are still a little stiff and not "painful" but just a little sore - like workout soreness as opposed to injury pain.
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Pitbull

• Newbie Poster
Re: Sore Knees
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012 »

Yes they where sore at first but its like anything else new. I rubbed tiger balm around the knees and calfs pain didnt last long. Just to let you know the more miles you cover the as you progress you will continue to get sore knees especially over rocky terrian.

phaedruswolf

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012 »

Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS), also called muscle fever, is the pain and stiffness felt in muscles several hours to (days after unaccustomed or strenuous exercise. The soreness is felt most
strongly 24 to 72 hours after the exercise. It is caused by eccentric exercise. After such exercise, the muscle adapts rapidly to prevent muscle damage, and thereby soreness, if the exercise is
repeated.

Few more hills and you will be fine!

(Then twenty or thirty years later your knees joints will he wrecked)

wee gaz

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012 »

i have dodgy left for 23 years now after motorbike crash and 4 ops but have started using hiking poles and sofar painfree. i thought they were a gimmick but got a pair of regatta for £10 in scout shop belfast and swear by them, worth a try for£10

wee gaz

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012 »

also drink plenty

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012 »

After a good days walking i find that ive started to get a build up of fluid at the joint at the back of my knee, its not overly sore but i know its there, I havnt a clue whats causing it but think il try a sports strap over it and see what that does.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012 »

also drink plenty
Does that help to numb the pain? ;)
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Pitbull

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012 »

Take a walk down to your doctors next time that happens  :P

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012 »

After a good days walking i find that ive started to get a build up of fluid at the joint at the back of my knee, its not overly sore but i know its there, I havnt a clue whats causing it but think il try a sports strap over it and see what that does.

eek! Never had that myself. I've had calf muscles which go so weak they feel like dead weight tho lol
Team Bivvy!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012 »

lately my right knee has been giving bother at full stretch e.g. kneeling down suddenly (falling) or walking up  very steep slopes, feels like a muscle about to pop  :o  but pain fades within seconds
think outside, no box required

brendanmcc

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012 »

yous guys are falling apart!

Ed- sounds like DOMS

Rumblebum- might be a bakers cyst.  They don't do much about this type of cyst but they are linked with cartilage tears. If you can hunker fully without any pain then there is probably no significant cartilage tear. Might want to get that checked out though. 

Landyliam- yeah falling can hurt knees! ;) the 'about to pop' sensation is usually related to your knee cap not moving very smoothly in its groove.  Sounds nasty but its very common and easy to treat.   Stretch you hams, ITB and calf and do some gentle strengthening exs for your quads (squats etc).  If it persists see a physio.
Oh and fall less!

I do recommend walking poles for unloading the ankles and knees.

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012 »

yous guys are falling apart!

Ed- sounds like DOMS

Rumblebum- might be a bakers cyst.  They don't do much about this type of cyst but they are linked with cartilage tears. If you can hunker fully without any pain then there is probably no significant cartilage tear. Might want to get that checked out though. 

Landyliam- yeah falling can hurt knees! ;) the 'about to pop' sensation is usually related to your knee cap not moving very smoothly in its groove.  Sounds nasty but its very common and easy to treat.   Stretch you hams, ITB and calf and do some gentle strengthening exs for your quads (squats etc).  If it persists see a physio.
Oh and fall less!

I do recommend walking poles for unloading the ankles and knees.

You the man brendan lol!!!!!

Now, what can you do for hair loss?
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012 »

You the man brendan lol!!!!!

Now, what can you do for hair loss?

Don't know what Brendan would recommend but I'd say minoxidil and ketoconazole (nizoral) for that one ;-)
Team Bivvy!

BrianT

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012 »

A bit of relief to see I'm not the only one.I was in a hurry last friday coming off Rocky mountain,easy underfoot but steep-following day no problem except that nice burn you get that lets you know you did a good workout and had a nice walk also.but 2 days later I could barely walk -no exageration.I really got a surprise because i'm not new to this but I put it down to that short 10 minute fast descent.A compression bandage was only relief for me and a few painkillers.I'm going to wear bandage next day out and see how it goes.
Brian

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012 »

Hill walking in general will strengthen you're muscles,but there will be a phase when you feel the downward impacting damage more,this for most will decrease as you're legs grow accustom to hiking,remember to cool down right after a day in the hill,shake all those leg muscle,then when you get home take a nice hot bath,also anytime I have a day on the hill I remove my boot's at the first chance,then after the bath I keep me feet raised up,wearing slipper
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]