Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: down sleeping bags  (Read 34519 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: down sleeping bags
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010 »

There's a good few on here with a Pipedream 600. I'd rate them but I've not tried any alternatives. Would definitely recommend them.

I see a few of you guys have one , just want to know after a few uses do you still recommend one ?? Sorry for bumping up an old thread but needs must

Cheers

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010 »

I have a down bag as well, Its a "nanok" good bag but I'm not sure I'd bother getting another down one. Try looking at the mountain hardwear lamina series, awesome synth bags that have a super small pack size and weight yet still hold their own in the temperature ratings game. 

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010 »

Cheers will look into that chris . Main reason I was thinking of changing to a down bqg was pack size as my synthetic bag takes up a lot of room . Think synthetic bag would also suit me best as I don't think I would treat a down bag with enough respect
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010 »

I'm starting to hear that the technology is advancing to the point that a synthetic bag can be close to the warmth and weight of a down bag but without the problems when it gets wet?

I have a down bag as well, Its a "nanok" good bag but I'm not sure I'd bother getting another down one. Try looking at the mountain hardwear lamina series, awesome synth bags that have a super small pack size and weight yet still hold their own in the temperature ratings game. 

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010 »

I'm starting to hear that the technology is advancing to the point that a synthetic bag can be close to the warmth and weight of a down bag but without the problems when it gets wet?

Thats the benefit of synthetic bags. Down filled equipment is designed for places where its too cold to rain. I do love the feeling of crawling into a nice warm down bag tho and if I was looking for a new bag and I saw a down one at a good price I'd snap it up! I'd never buy a down jacket though! Primaloft all the way.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010 »

I think Mr. 6 Pack had posted up a good link at one stage arguing the merits of a synthetic bag.  I found my PD400 to be very warm in the summer, so I've been thinking of getting a higher temperature rated synthetic bag for summer use and keeping the Pipedream for winter.  Which is partly why I wish I had of got the PD600, but anyway! 

That said, at the last Binnian summit camp I was very glad of my Pipedream!  Without the shelter of the tarp I appreciated the extra warmth.  I did start to worry a bit when the rain started coming down, but my bivvy bag kept the rain out.  I ended up with thin layer of condensation on the inside of the bivvy, but thats only to be expected when you are breathing into a fairly well sealed up and enclosed space.  Despite the bag getting slightly damp from the condensation it dried out quickly and showed no ill effects.

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010 »

I think Mr. 6 Pack had posted up a good link at one stage arguing the merits of a synthetic bag.  I found my PD400 to be very warm in the summer, so I've been thinking of getting a higher temperature rated synthetic bag for summer use and keeping the Pipedream for winter.  Which is partly why I wish I had of got the PD600, but anyway! 

That said, at the last Binnian summit camp I was very glad of my Pipedream!  Without the shelter of the tarp I appreciated the extra warmth.  I did start to worry a bit when the rain started coming down, but my bivvy bag kept the rain out.  I ended up with thin layer of condensation on the inside of the bivvy, but thats only to be expected when you are breathing into a fairly well sealed up and enclosed space.  Despite the bag getting slightly damp from the condensation it dried out quickly and showed no ill effects.

that I did.

http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1122.0
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010 »

I have 100 pound gift voucher for blacks, i want a sleeping bag that can cope in the dead of the winter in the mournes mountains. Im willing to put more money to the voucher. Can anyone help ????
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010 »

Well I hear that here's good body heat transfer between naked bodies, so £100 voucher should get you at least 1 night in the Mournes  8)
think outside, no box required

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010 »

I have 100 pound gift voucher for blacks, i want a sleeping bag that can cope in the dead of the winter in the mournes mountains. Im willing to put more money to the voucher. Can anyone help ????

Surely you arent still looking for a sleeping bag :o ;)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010 »

Blacks must have a department I've not been into yet  :P

Well I hear that here's good body heat transfer between naked bodies, so £100 voucher should get you at least 1 night in the Mournes  8)

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2010 »

I hear they have some new Berghaus bags that are prob ok value, or check out the MH Lamina.  Something good for -5 to -10 should be adequate for our winters but as always with these things, depends or how you sleep, where you sleep, and what other gear you have (thermals/down vest or jacket?).
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2010 »

I just Bought the 1100 Flare Berghaus Bag for Kili.

Have not slept in it yet but will post back when I have
No one goes inside to clear their head

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2010 »

well tonights the nigt to test it out  ;D (-4 forecast so get up them hills and you should hit -10  ;) )
think outside, no box required

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2010 »

I just Bought the 1100 Flare Berghaus Bag for Kili.

Have not slept in it yet but will post back when I have

What sort of temps have you been told to expect at night?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]