Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: just liked the look of this pic of a misty co. fermanagh  (Read 11881 times)

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

emmadilemma

• Jr. Poster
Re: just liked the look of this pic of a misty co. fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009 »

niiiice  :)

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009 »

Probably wasn't too far from there walking the Ulster Way, seemed to be forever passing large windfarms on hills around Fermanagh and Tyrone.

Very nice picture

Couple from the way:

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009 »

How did you take a picture of the back of your own head?

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009 »

Just sat it up on my rucksack and used the cameras timer feature, most cameras have them.

A tripod/gorrilapod would be what a sensible man would use for getting shots of himself, instead of fence posts walls which is what I ended up doing. Thought about taking a tripod with me, but was a last minute idea and didn't get a chance to source one I thought was worth it. Starting to think bout getting one again, even if it will come with quite a high weight penalty!

These ones are apparently worth twice their money, 2 Kilos aint light though
http://www.aldine.co.uk/redsnapper/

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009 »

Gorillapods are pretty expensive - £40+. They're also quite heavy..

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009 »

True enough, just depends what you're looking to do with your photos, and I suppose what you're shooting with.

If you're looking to just record the hike/camp/etc then a compact will probably do and you probably don't need a tripod or any sort of support, just use whatevers about. Have heard of people using trekking pole/monopods for self capture, but wouldn't like to see it fall over and bust yer camera
googles first suggestion - http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=9482&catID=482

I'll prob end up getting a full tripod and carry the weight penalty involved as I want to take my photography up a level, its a bit silly having a DSLR and no tripod to put it on  :P

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009 »

How mush would you pay for a real good camra ??
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009 »

True enough, just depends what you're looking to do with your photos, and I suppose what you're shooting with.

If you're looking to just record the hike/camp/etc then a compact will probably do and you probably don't need a tripod or any sort of support, just use whatevers about. Have heard of people using trekking pole/monopods for self capture, but wouldn't like to see it fall over and bust yer camera
googles first suggestion - http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=9482&catID=482

I'll prob end up getting a full tripod and carry the weight penalty involved as I want to take my photography up a level, its a bit silly having a DSLR and no tripod to put it on  :P

What sort of DSLR is it? I've been toying with the idea of getting one for a while.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009 »

Wolf it really depends on what you want to use it for, yes its another one of those vague answers. Even the cheapest compacts are capable of pretty decent results these days. It really depends on how much of a handle you want over the pictures you are taking, are you fussed if you can change the shutter speeds for long/short exposure or the depth of focus etc. Most of these things can only be done on a DLSR or a high end compact. Are you going to use the photo's just so you can remember the trip, are you going to enlarge them, are you hoping to get them published?
This will give you a good idea where to go (a bit outdated): http://photo.net/equipment/what-camera

If buying a compact any of the Cannon Ixus or Panasonic Lumix will give good results
If buying a high end compact, I'd be looking for one that shoots in RAW as well as JPEG, which in itself will pretty much tell you its good
If buying a DSLR pretty much any of the entry ones will probably do. Megapixels don't really mean much, its all about the quality of the sensor. Sony seem to be becoming a driving force at pretty decent prices

I've got an Olympus E-volt 420, bought on the basis that its the smallest in weight and size for a DSLR, but also because it was the same price as other entry level DSLRs at the time (amazon have added 100 nupes to the price I payed.) Does everything I need of it, a good feature is that it has LiveView, so that you don't have to use the viewfinder, handy for when giving it to others to take pictures. Adding a heavy tripod to this doesn't really make sense, but would rather have something strong and heavy that will last, before buying something cheap and light that will bust, or very expensive and light that I might not use. Gitzo carbon travelers are supposed to be the dogs, coming in under a Kilo, but also at £300-400 :o

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009 »

I would like to enlarge pictures so they would be good enough to sell........... fame them and sell them in the cafe.

You seem to konw your stuff on cameras, ulsterwalker.

Regards dave
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009 by Wolf_Larson »
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009 »

Know a good wee bit about cameras, pity I don't know the same amount about how to take pictures!

pablo

• Sr. Poster

i use a sony alpha a100. my g/f got it for me because it can use the minolta lenses of which i had a couple. sony bought over minolta and their range is really quite good.

if your getting a tripod id recommend you get the best you can ,you,ll have it for a while! and the picture of a lifetime can easily become a blurred mess if your camera isnt stable.

saying that though, some of the best pics ive taken were on my sony ericsson k8ooi phone,including panoramic shots.

also, if its landscapes your into i seriously recommend you get a wide angle lens or at least a converter lens.they make ALL the difference i assure you.

ps, 99% of photography isnt about the camera,its about the composition. check out the nyi photography course.simplicity is the key  ;)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]