Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Small survival kit  (Read 7278 times)

gar1990

• Newbie Poster
Small survival kit
« on: April 15, 2012 »

Hello, I was wondering if you guys had any ideas as to what would need to be included in a small lunchbox sized survival kit or if there were any premade ones to buy??

Samm

• Top Poster
Re: Small survival kit
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012 »

There's lots of standard first aid kits for remote places, google Lifesystems for example. I know I've added to and taken away from my own first aid kit. For instance, yesterday, while stood on top of the open expanse of the Garron Plateau I was so happy I'd added a packet of Imodium to my kit! I have lots of tweaks that suit me, so you need to figure out what suits you. One thing I did add a few years ago after getting a recommendation was one of those small pens (Ikea or Argos) and roll a load of duct tape round it and a length of paracord. Broken gear wise and even first aid wise, duct tape and paracord will often make things a hell of a lot easier to get back to safety. Spare snack food, torch batteries, survival bag are also good extras on top of the standard (or adapted) first aid kit. I suppose what you need depends on what you're doing, where and for potentially how long.

Drongo

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012 »

Survival or First Aid Kit...?

If it's a survival kit, personally it depends on where you are planning on going and for how long...?  If it's just Ireland/UK, then why bother with the extra weight and expense as chances of you being in an emergency 'survival' situation are pretty much non-existant.

I can see maybe a reason for it if you are are in active special forces service, deep behind enemy lines with little hope of immediate rescue or you are in an unregistered light air craft or decide to go walk about in Africa or some equally remote place ..

If you want to play at being a special forces operative, then that's cool, but go with a plan, bring what you think you want to play with be it fishing, trapping, signalling etc.  Have a bit of fun with it and go home again....
I'm Not Drunk...!!!  I'm Irish, there is a Difference...

Pudd

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012 »

I definitely agree with Drongo and Samm's posts.  Everything about the outdoors is what you make it, and how you want to tailor it to suit your needs.  For instance if you wish to carry a length of bungee cord to say hang your keys from somewhere, then so be it!  These days, I'm starting to realise that I need less and less kit, and thus brings down the total weight on my back. 

I used to carry paracord, normal rope, bungees and a poncho, just for pure emergency situations.  Looking back on it, the weight of it all does add up.  My back definitely thanks me for the lightness of my pack now.  :) 

As I say, tailor it to suit you.  If you think you need it - take it.  If you think you don't need, or will use it - don't.  Or, if you don't mind taking quite a weight on your back - take everything!  :P
The only downside to going outdoors is having to come back inside.

NI Survival School

• Newbie Poster
    • www.nisurvival.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012 »

There are numerous Survival kits on the market that you can buy. The question that has already been partly posed by Drongo is where are you going, what type of environment will you be encountering and what will u be doing there? It's all very relevant to make it eaiser to help you out buddy, I could tell u the usual like firesteel cotton wool purification tablets etc but if you are going out to sea that might not be what your survival kit needs. The one thing that is more important above all others is knowledge of where you are going, do your home work well and you will be able to gather a lot of the survival equipment from your surroundings, do your homework badly and the best equipped survival kit won't be able to save you.
Northern Ireland Survival School

"Teaching yesterday skills today!"

Email: nisurvivalschool@gmail.com
Tel: 07415223392

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012 »

There are numerous Survival kits on the market that you can buy. The question that has already been partly posed by Drongo is where are you going, what type of environment will you be encountering and what will u be doing there? It's all very relevant to make it eaiser to help you out buddy, I could tell u the usual like firesteel cotton wool purification tablets etc but if you are going out to sea that might not be what your survival kit needs. The one thing that is more important above all others is knowledge of where you are going, do your home work well and you will be able to gather a lot of the survival equipment from your surroundings, do your homework badly and the best equipped survival kit won't be able to save you.

Good to see NI Survival here again  ;D
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Chris E

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012 »

If possible take Ray Mears, Bear Grylls (comfort edition) or even a Robson Green (he would be the lightweight option)  ;D
Chris

NI Survival School

• Newbie Poster
    • www.nisurvival.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012 »

[/quote]

Hi Wolf, we have been up to our ears but we still check into the best outdoor site around to see what's happening!!;)
Northern Ireland Survival School

"Teaching yesterday skills today!"

Email: nisurvivalschool@gmail.com
Tel: 07415223392

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012 »

Hi Wolf, we have been up to our ears but we still check into the best outdoor site around to see what's happening!!;)
[/quote]

Very glad to here you are busy and its taking off for you. Hopefully get a catch up some day. Are you still doing carnfunelk outside Larne ?
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012 »

As the others have said it depends where you're going that can dictate what you'd need to pack in a kit.

As a suggestion (and it's only my suggestion!) you should include the following items as essentials:
nylon cord (paracord or similar)
flint and steel striker
emergency whistle
book matches/lighter
single edge blade or penknife
antiseptic wipes
plasters
surgical tape
cotton wool
Large bin bag (rain cover, shelter construction etc.)

And then as optionals:
wiresaw
 ziplock bag
waterproof survival instructions
sewing kit
safety pins
fishing kit
signalling mirror
button compass
multi purpose mini tool
candle
water purification tablets

Depending on what space you have left you can add other items as you see fit.

You can of course buy these ready made but it's probably better to tailor them to your own needs.
"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]