Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Neck knife  (Read 10825 times)

Wolf_Larson

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Adventure
Neck knife
« on: February 26, 2013 »

Does anyone own a neck knife like Cody lundin of dual survival ?

Also.......what do you all think of the show ?
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
Re: Neck knife
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013 »

Naw but I recently got one of these bad boys:

http://www.gerbergear.co.uk/Tactical/Knives/Remix-Tactical_31-001098

The Gerber Tactical Knife.

Got it whilst saving up for the Cold Steel SAR knife. Also as the Gerber is alot more practical as it folds down. It can be used as a utility knife/hiking knife/ self defence knife (not recommended)

It's a razor sharp edge straight from the factory. Tanto point on it and a serrated edge near the bottom.

It's a handy wee clip that goes into the belt.

If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013 »

Took a look at that show there too: it's excellent! .... Think most hikers can be grouped into either of the styles of the hosts of that show: either pretty pragmatic military types or environmentally minded more spiritual types. Its a pretty big generalisation but I'd say most outdoors people would gravitate more to one hosts way of thinking than the other. Haven't decided which one I am yet.
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013 »

I would say you would be more the military type. I would be more the Cody type, that's a nice wee knife by the way. I was looking at the Moira knifes for a neck knife but ill have to make my own neck sheath I think.

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013 »

I'd never heard of this show but gave it a watch and really enjoyed it, i like the two different philosophies and reasons for their actions. It got me thinking how a UK version would be, even as a one off special with Bear Grylls and Ray Mears, could be interesting.

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013 »

I'm a fan of Bear Grylls and Ray Mears but really I don't think there'd be any contest. Bear Grylls will fire you up to go into the outdoors, where as Ray Mears will show you how to get back safely.

I think the difference between them is best illustrated in the martial arts they practice. Bear is a Karate blackbelt: flashy, looks good, a bit adventurous but somewhat all style and no substance. Mears on the other hand is a Judo man. Doesn't look like much but extremely practical and will get the job done when you need it to.

We should have an NI-Wild Duel Survivor pair off! .... Get those suggestions in for who to match with who!  ;D

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013 »

I'm a fan of Bear Grylls and Ray Mears but really I don't think there'd be any contest. Bear Grylls will fire you up to go into the outdoors, where as Ray Mears will show you how to get back safely.

I think the difference between them is best illustrated in the martial arts they practice. Bear is a Karate blackbelt: flashy, looks good, a bit adventurous but somewhat all style and no substance. Mears on the other hand is a Judo man. Doesn't look like much but extremely practical and will get the job done when you need it to.

We should have an NI-Wild Duel Survivor pair off! .... Get those suggestions in for who to match with who!  ;D

I think Bear gets a hard time, he did break his back but got himself together and then went on to be one of the youngest climbers to ascend Everest (although i can imagine him assuming the 'yellow' snow is pineapple slushies, lol)and i have a lot of respect for them both, i like the quietness and thoughtfulness of Ray and a lot of his techniques are more applicable to the UK.

I already think we have a match for NI-Wild Dual Survivor: Rusty Madra and Wolf Larson.

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013 »

True that... I totally forgot he's an accomplished climber:

Let's do it: "this week on Dual Survivor NI Wolf and Rusty make it back to Donard Car park only to be attacked by a feral Millie wielding a bottle of WKD. Passing a hiking pole to Wolf Rusty can be heard to whisper: "you take that bitches eyes out if you need too"  ;D

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013 »

Lmao lads  ;D

I was thinking of writing a letter to Bear Grylls to suggest a new show to him. The show would have me and Bear in it, I would try to keep up with Bear on anything he does. The show would be called Bear Grylls vs Bear Nappy lol, (my mates give me that name) that's another story  ;)

Once I get my foot sorted I would be up for a bit of duel surviving, but ill not be doing a Cody and have  my boots on  :P

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013 »

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013 »

Keep your eyes open for neck knifes and put them here please  :D

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013 »

Cody , so I have been reliably told, (By Patrick McGlinchey of Backwoods survival fame) is amoung a small group of  understudies of the legendary Mors Kochanshy, auther of "Northern Bushcraft". Patrick is also one of Mors' understudies
Mors is well known for his use of Mora knives, and Cody's neck knife looks very like a Morakniv Classic. They are very good knives. I've had a classic for a few years and its comfortable and reliable, though I didn't like the red ocre coated handle, so I simply sanded the finish off and oiled the handle instead.
Regards,
Gary

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013 »

If you know any good neck knives gary post link here plz

Regards Dave

Hunter

• Top Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013 »

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013 by Hunter »
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013 »

Great link Hunter !!!

Thanks mater  :D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013 by Wolf_Larson »

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]