Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: where to camp  (Read 7571 times)

kev75

• Newbie Poster
where to camp
« on: February 18, 2013 »

Hi i am new to the whole wild camping thing but love the idea of it all so i have been reading alot of the stuff everybody has been putting up and i have gone and bought some gear sleeping bags tent stove to name but a few.

Now i have talked my wife in to going camping with me but have clue where to take her so i need some or alot of help.

T

kev75

• Newbie Poster
Re: where to camp
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013 »

Sorry i put that up to early i am in the dungannon area if that helps you help me
any help would be very welcome  :-\

Spud

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013 »

Welcome to the forum kev, are you looking for somewhere to camp near dungannon, or elsewhere? Loads of wild camping spots in the mournes, just depends on how far you want to walk, wether you have transport, fitness levels, experience etc? Annalong wood is ideal, I would suggest that as a starter camp if you haven't been out before? Here is a great guide to there drawn up by Matthew will tell you all you need to know http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3791.0

kev75

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013 »

Thanks spud this looks great will put it to my wife see what she thinks of it thanks again

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013 »

There is a nice spot on Trassey track, just beside the river. Might be one for later in the year when she has camped a bit.

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013 »

Welcome to the form kev,there's loads of suitable camping spots all over the Mournes & indeed all over Northern Ireland.If this is to be you're first camping experience or you're first camp since you were a kid when you never felt the cold it maybe better to camp somewhere within comfortable distance,ie one were you can carry a wee bit more kit.Some folk even camp at Meelmore lodge round by the Trassey track which gives them a taste of sleeping under canvas but with still the comfort of hot showers  & sitting on porcelain when one needs to go :o ,also has a great wee cafe.anyway don't be putting yourself off with a massive hike to an exposed summit,get a few handy ones under your belt first,good luck!

Neanderphil

• Newbie Poster
  • Life is just a ride
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013 »

Hi there kev

Not to sure if I'd actually classify this as a wild camping spot but there is a few clearings on the sea side of the road at bloody bridge rest stop. You have the toilets and shower at the rest stop and your only about 2mile outside Newcastle.

It may be a bit cold this time of year but later on you can so swimming in a few pools and I have even seen dolphins(I think)

kaya

• Newbie Poster
    • www.4elementsni.com
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013 »

I recommend the islands of Lough Erne. You will need a canoe though, but you can load as much ear as you want as you dont have to carry, you can become king of your own country for a day and you are likely to see no one the whole time  :D Four Elements Adventure are currently running a half price offer on a fully guided canoe camping trip which includes all food, equipment, expert guides and pretty much everything you can think of down to your very own spork! Check out some photos on the link and give me a shout if you want to find out more  :)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.127519513990003.30510.108840632524558&type=3

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013 »

better to camp somewhere within comfortable distance,ie one were you can carry a wee bit more kit

Like a portable BBQ and half a stone of meat? :D
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013 »

As people have said, there are loads of spots around the Mournes, it's just a question of how far you want to have to carry your gear (and where is secure to park!). However, depending on your experience etc, you might want to try something gentle first, or even a proper campsite. A bad first experience can be very offputting and manys a spouse has had one go never to return ;)

Welcome!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]