Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A little introduction  (Read 8251 times)

Hammy2k

• Newbie Poster
A little introduction
« on: October 22, 2010 »

Hi everyone, I guess I should get right down to it... I am from Portadown and my prime interests are wild camping and more recently due to my aquisition of a hammock and tarp - finding two trees that perfect distance apart and 'cautiously' climbing into it and forgetting about normal everyday life.

About 90% of my outdoor trips are in the Mournes either day trips for a long walk or with my little Vango Storm 300+ tent a friend or two and a good book, we can normally be found just far enough away from the booze brigade to still enjoy the solitude of being in the wild, but we're friendly so if you ever spot us come and say hello :)

Recently due to a change in mindset thanks to the hammock I have been on the lookout for new locations, wooded areas or big forests where it's easy to find a quiet spot to camp up for the night, so hopefully from joining here you can all suggest some new locations!

Thanks for your time (",)
Remember the differences between hobos, tramps, and bums: hobos' are people who travel and look for work, tramps are people who travel and don't look for work, bums are people who neither travel nor look for work

ChuckMcB

Re: A little introduction
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010 »

Welcome Hammy

Hunter

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010 »

helloooooo and welcome along mate !
One life live it !       http://hunterforum.webs.com/

LennyJ1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010 »

Welcome to the forum hammy
No one goes inside to clear their head

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010 »

Hello and welcome, there are a few about this site who love their hammocks so I'm sure some will point you to a good few spots  ;)
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010 »

Welcome Hammy, I have a hammock myself and don't get out in it as much as I'd like.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010 »

Welcome Hammy.
Good to see another Portadown man.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010 »

hello and welcome mate.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

Hammy2k

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010 »

Thanks everyone for the welcome, I look forward to the camping locations for the hammock coming in - though I guess with the 'tropical' weather we are getting lately it will be spring time before I get any use out of it (unless I invest in some pretty decent winter clothes!)

Another little thing I have been battling with is my outlook on wild camping and my outdoor hobby as a whole - am I the only person that is seeking some solitude from the great outdoors? I have this continuous notion of solo hiking, camping in the middle of no-where on my own and being immensly content. I have never done it but it's constantly plauging me!

I'm just wondering if there are other people out there with a similar disposition or am I just wierd?
Remember the differences between hobos, tramps, and bums: hobos' are people who travel and look for work, tramps are people who travel and don't look for work, bums are people who neither travel nor look for work

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010 »

i wouldn't say weird but definitely in a minority group  ::)  i like a good mix of hikes/camps alone and with others, but then again maybe its just that your friends are weird and you don't want to camp with them  ;D
think outside, no box required

Hammy2k

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010 »

Liam, you could have a point! Or perhaps it's because most of the time I ask them to come with me they have something else already planned or cancel me at the last minute and I end up not going on my own... I just need that one solo trip.... then I think I will be freeee!!! :)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010 »

i'm quite spontaneous with my hikes and camping trips, hard to fit them in around work, family & more importantly, the weather!, so friends don't get much notice and doesn't often suit them  :'( but just go for it alone, its great as you can do everythig at your own pace, just let someone know exactly where you going and check in at intervals, of course you'll probably end up somewhere with no phone reception  >:( so stick to the more popular routes, especially in the winter, where as least someone might hear a distress whistle.
think outside, no box required

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010 »

Welcome along chum

Matthew

Hammy2k

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010 »

@ Liam, will bear all that in mind, though I am usally pretty good when I go into the Mournes as someone always knows my location and when to expect me back... as you mentioned - some locations don't have reception so it's not always easy to check in at certain times.

I think I will leave the solo trip until the spring and by then I should have a lot of new hammocking locations I can try out if I don't want to venture too far into the mountains on my own :)

Thanks again for all the welcomes :)

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010 »

Thanks everyone for the welcome, I look forward to the camping locations for the hammock coming in - though I guess with the 'tropical' weather we are getting lately it will be spring time before I get any use out of it (unless I invest in some pretty decent winter clothes!)

Another little thing I have been battling with is my outlook on wild camping and my outdoor hobby as a whole - am I the only person that is seeking some solitude from the great outdoors? I have this continuous notion of solo hiking, camping in the middle of no-where on my own and being immensly content. I have never done it but it's constantly plauging me!

I'm just wondering if there are other people out there with a similar disposition or am I just wierd?

just do it mate best thing you'll do trust me!
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]