Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Another fire  (Read 4481 times)

fatty-arbuckle

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Jr. Poster
Another fire
« on: April 24, 2010 »

Forty firefighters are dealing with a major gorse fire in the Mourne Mountains in County Down.

The Fire Service were called to the blaze at Annalong Wood near Newcastle at about 0500 BST.

Walkers are being warned to avoid the Slieve Binnion, Bloody Bridge and Dinny Water areas because of the fire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8641535.stm

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Re: Another fire
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010 »

Theres not going to be much left to walk over but burnt ash if this keeps up!

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010 »

I was there. :o
I
http://thisteacherslife.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/frightening/

nice blog makes ya jealous that I was not there. Your spot on with your comment at the end and I hope all this rain that's falling now will help soak the ground and stop who ever is doing it
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

ChuckMcB

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010 »

The Fire Service were called to the blaze at Annalong Wood near Newcastle at about 0500 BST.

Strange that the fire service was only called out at 5am, but from nematode's description it was burning through the night. (perhaps they were waiting for first light?) That does make a bit more sense...couldn't see the muppets setting fire to the hills at 5am...more likely late at night when the drink runs out and they get board.

As it turned out I was cutting through Annalong Wood on Saturday morning at 10am, (I actively avoid the news when I can, so didn't know anything about that fire until I got home) did notice a fair number of burnt trees but no burnt grass, so I presumed that it was old...that Wood always looks a bit 'battered'. No sign of smoke/burning smell etc, but the hills did look very foggy, which I put down to the relativity low temperature.

The main camping area wasn't touched by the fire which is good.

Paul72

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010 »

So how bad is the damage at Annalong Wood?
"Oh my word, I'm far too old " RedLeader

ChuckMcB

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010 »

So how bad is the damage at Annalong Wood?

No idea to be honest.
did notice a fair number of burnt trees but no burnt grass, so I presumed that it was old...that Wood always looks a bit 'battered'. No sign of smoke/burning smell etc.......(snip)....The main camping area wasn't touched by the fire which is good.
I wasn't looking for it and only cut through the very end of the wood. Didn't take any photos that day either, can't remember anything out of the ordinary.

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010 »

From my understanding.......

The fire services were alerted at roughly 5pm on Friday night (we know the people who rang the fire brigade).  The fire service arrived via the access road in Annalong Wood to assess the situation (as this was the location of those who called).  The fires were in a ribbon very high up on Slieve Binnian and I think they considered the location to be a risk at night so they opted for first light. 

The fire seemed to start very high up near the Mourne Wall, maybe about three quarters up the wall that runs from Big Carrick to Binnian Summit.  From our perspective down in the valley the fare seemed to rapidly spread in ribbons past Binnian Lough (although hidden from us the area of Binnian Lough was glowing very bright red) to Blue Lough Butress.  In the early hours of the morning the area below the north tor (Blue Lough butress) was very much on fire and patches flared very brightly.

As we left the valley (10 ish) Carrick Little had been taken over by a massive operation by the fire service and coast guard.  this included maybe 6 or 7 appliances, an incident command unit and a coast guard helicopter.  I got the impression that they had been working since first light. It was a sickenning and depressing sight.

nematode

• Newbie Poster
    • thisteacherslife
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010 »

I just realised how misleading the picures in my blog post are.  They were not intended as a before and after.  They were taken from two different locations of two different directions.  Let me clarify; the picture below is Slieve Binnian and the North Tor taken from the Annalong River where it enters the wood (ish).

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010 by nematode »

ChuckMcB

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010 »

Whoa!  :o Looks like I get 0/10 for observation. Thanks for confirming nematode.

If anyone else wants to pass their thanks to the Fire service, this seems to be the place to do it. A donation to the The Mourne Mountain Rescue Team would do no harm if you have a couple of quid spare.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]