Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast - Fri 11Jun10  (Read 37615 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

I'm thinking of a quick up'n'down bivvy on Friday night. Meet somewhere 7ish, have a bit of a hike, some grub and a bit'o craic, then down first thing Saturday morning and home for breakfast. We were considering Agnews Hill in Antrim but secure parking might be an issue. However, I'm game for anywhere. We're now thinking of the Mournes as it's handier for everyone.

Anyone fancy?

Potentials
J
Andy1984
Matthewrblack
Suspectmonkey
Tim
Chuck
MikeD
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010 by J »

andy1984

• Top Poster

I'm thinking of a quick up'n'down bivvy on Friday night. Meet somewhere 7ish, have a bit of a hike, some grub and a bit'o craic, then down first thing Saturday morning and home for breakfast. We were considering Agnews Hill in Antrim but secure parking might be an issue.

Do you think the cars would be alright just in the layby car park on the A36 at ballyboley forest?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

To be honest, I don't really know that end of NI. I wouldn't really be game to park anywhere that wasn't at least a bit secure. But if we can't come up with a solid plan parking-wise we can always do something out of Donard Car Park or Meelmore.

I'm thinking of a quick up'n'down bivvy on Friday night. Meet somewhere 7ish, have a bit of a hike, some grub and a bit'o craic, then down first thing Saturday morning and home for breakfast. We were considering Agnews Hill in Antrim but secure parking might be an issue.

Do you think the cars would be alright just in the layby car park on the A36 at ballyboley forest?

ChuckMcB

Tempted. (as long as we're not in the forest when night falls  :o )

I'm seeing a "Touring caravan park" towards the south of the forest, if that's open maybe cars could be left there. (I don't know the area, so perhaps this is taking us too far away from Agnews Hill etc?)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

We walked all the way from Glenarm to Cappanagh Wood in Feb this year so the distance wouldn't be too much of a problem. It's reasonably flat round there so the going isn't so tough.

Tempted. (as long as we're not in the forest when night falls  :o )

I'm seeing a "Touring caravan park" towards the south of the forest, if that's open maybe cars could be left there. (I don't know the area, so perhaps this is taking us too far away from Agnews Hill etc?)

andy1984

• Top Poster

Its only up the road from me. Options for parking is either that i know about:

1. a roadside car park ( where i park although never parked there overnight yet)
2. there is a car park at the south of the forest
3. bit of a car park at the reservoir.

Depends on what you class as secure, the road is quiet busy as it takes alot of traffic to the port at larne, i think u'd prob be ok unless very unlucky really.

The car park at the south of forest, i've never been to it! but you can have a look at it on street view on google maps.

Car parking also available at killylane reservoir itself.

As J says the terrain is not that demanding so i wouldnt worry too much about walking from the far side of forsest or from the reservoir.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

I'm up for this provided i dont have to pick Sarah up in Belfast after a birthday party Friday night

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Tim

• Top Poster

I'm definitely in if ya's end up somewhere in the Mournes. I think Antrim may be a bit far for me having to ask my parents for a lift.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

We were only thinking of Antrim for a change. I'm happy to go wherever the popular vote goes!

I'm definitely in if ya's end up somewhere in the Mournes. I think Antrim may be a bit far for me having to ask my parents for a lift.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

I'm good for either Antrim Hills or Mournes, will go with the flow :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Why don't we keep this simple then and head for the Mournes since they're easily accessible. Any suggestions?

What about Cove from Meelmore?

Tim

• Top Poster

Why don't we keep this simple then and head for the Mournes since they're easily accessible. Any suggestions?

In that case I'm in. As to where too I have no preference although Cove from Meelmore sounds grand to me.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Suspectmonkey has come up with a route that sounds cool. To camp at Lough Shannagh starting at Meelmore Lodge. Basically we'll all just meet there at 730 tomorrow night and have a sniff at the map and see what route we most fancy depending on energy levels or weather. We can either walk a fairly straight route or take in a few peaks (Meelmore-Meelbeg-Slieve Loughshannagh, Commedagh or Mourne way - Ott - Carn. (My vote goes for Ott - not been up there!) Also, I'd love to maybe pop up Doan - it's not one I've ever done either.

What does everyone think?

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010 by J »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]