Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast - Fri 11Jun10  (Read 37894 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

I've not been there before but I'm guessing if someone threw in a firelog we'd find somewhere sensible to burn it. But with any sort of open flame then we'd have no choice but to have drinkies and prog!

Any plans for a wee fire - do we need to bring firelogs ?

And if we did, are there already fire pits where we are going  ? 

MikeD

• Sr. Poster

Shizer, no Prog ! Surely !

Well, don't we need to organise a few fire logs?  Say a firelog each?  Anyone with any experience of firelogs - how many we'd need - how long they last ?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

One will burn for 2-3 hours. I sometimes break them up into cubes and burn them in a hobo stove. That works well and is pretty efficient.

Shizer, no Prog ! Surely !

Well, don't we need to organise a few fire logs?  Say a firelog each?  Anyone with any experience of firelogs - how many we'd need - how long they last ?

ChuckMcB

There are no fire pits on the north end of the Lough, the shore is quite sandy so we take some sand/gravel from it protect the grass then shovel it back again when we're done...I'm bringing my (very clean) honey stove, if other hobo stoves where to come along that could work for burning the fire logs as J suggests.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

That worked well for me several times. However, firelogs are quite solid and it took me a while with an axe and hammer to get bits that were small enough which wouldn't be that feasible to do there.

There are no fire pits on the north end of the Lough, the shore is quite sandy so we take some sand/gravel from it protect the grass then shovel it back again when we're done...I'm bringing my (very clean) honey stove, if other hobo stoves where to come along that could work for burning the fire logs as J suggests.

Kat

• Jr. Poster

Have fun ce soir folks!!  I would have liked to camp out by the lough!!  Thanks for the Honey Stove Jonny btw!  Will be trying it out tonight!

ChuckMcB

However, firelogs are quite solid and it took me a while with an axe and hammer to get bits that were small enough which wouldn't be that feasible to do there.
Ahh right, I may not have time to smash one up in the garage before I leave this evening. :(

Scribble

• Hero Poster

Tim, let me know if you need a lift in the end and I can pick you up.  I can take the Saintfield - Ballynahinch route so its on my way.  Just fire me a PM to organise :)

hi guys i am sorry i am going to have to give this a miss :( brought the son to doctors who now has tonsillitis and told her what i was planning on doing tonight..as family doctors do or just mine she told me to stop being an ass and that i was no where near ready for a walk like that never mind the lack of sleep, i have lost just under 5kgs (happy wit that ) from not eating
i was just going to do it anyways but that would not be fair on you lot if my stubborness fecked up your night out..

so guys i am sorry and most of all             
                                                            CAN SOME ONE PLEASE LIFT TIM
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Now that I remember, I gave it a mincing with a hammer and big screwdriver (chisel would do - I'm not really allowed tools so I don't have one  ::)). Just take the cuboid shaped log, twat it with a hammer and screwdriver to knock off a square about an inch thick, then take each square and break it in 4. Continue twatting until you reckon you have enough! I then burn it in a small Ikea cuttlery drainer (obviously!).

Job done  :P

Thusly:

However, firelogs are quite solid and it took me a while with an axe and hammer to get bits that were small enough which wouldn't be that feasible to do there.
Ahh right, I may not have time to smash one up in the garage before I leave this evening. :(

Tim

• Top Poster

But with any sort of open flame then we'd have no choice but to have drinkies and prog!

That sounds like a plan to me J.

Thats a pity Andy, hope you and your son are feeling better in time for the next night out and hopefully see get to meet you out there the next time.

Scribble

• Hero Poster

But with any sort of open flame then we'd have no choice but to have drinkies and prog!

That sounds like a plan to me J.

Thats a pity Andy, hope you and your son are feeling better in time for the next night out and hopefully see get to meet you out there the next time.

j just makes ya feel even worse when he leaves posts like that  >:( ;D

cheers Tim and i am sure there will be many who will give ya lift and i hope to meet ya soon
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

Tim

• Top Poster

If anyones bringing a firelog I can bring my handy laplander saw to slice it up a bit, but let me know if you want me to bring it cos theres not much point otherwise with the lack of boreal forest surrounding the lough :D

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

Have fun ce soir folks!!  I would have liked to camp out by the lough!!  Thanks for the Honey Stove Jonny btw!  Will be trying it out tonight!

As you can see from Kat's post, she has pinched my Honey Stove to cook with some Girl Guides on.  So no hobo fire for me!  However, I think I might have a firelog left in the shed from the last time I camped at Meelmore Lodge.  Will chuck it in to the boot of the car and we can work out how many we have/need when we get there.  AFAIK Meelmore sell firelogs any way.

ChuckMcB

AFAIK Meelmore sell firelogs any way.
Will prob. be closed by the time we get there, but I'll pick one or two as well just in case.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

It;s pretty bloody warm outside. Think I'm defo going home to bin the down gilllet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]